Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Marshall JCM 600 oscillating

This is doing my head in.

Marhall JCM 600.
http://www.classictubeamps.com/schem...jcm600_60w.pdf

Turning the distortion channel's gain/volume/master volume combination up
too high will break into oscillation (a few kHz) above a certain gain.
This doesn't happen unless the pre-amp is unmuted by inserting a (shorted)
jack in the input socket.

As these 3 series gain controls approach the point of oscillation, you can
hear the inpending frequency that will feed back rise as the gain is
increased. (i.e. before feedback, the boosted frequency is gain dependent)

(Under certain test conditions it will oscillate massively ultrasonically.
It's probably best not to do that very often)

Another amp repairer has been inside this amp and has attempted to fix the
problem by the looks of it. He's put small caps across some
electrolytics, and there was a resistor piggy backed over the top of R4,
feeding VR5. Not sure why.
I haven't found any other "mods", but that's not to say there aren't any.

Anyway, I've tried to isolate various things to discount them, but am going
round in circles and need some ideas my head doesn't have right now.

There's some frequency dependent positive feedback going on somewhere, but
since it's a complete loop broken by muting the input, it's kind of hard to
isolate anything really.
(Actually the input jack mutes both the input and the signal at CN6)

Any quick hints or tips from anyone? (It's not the Prescence feedback
circuit, or the valves)

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 08/12/2015 18:55, Gareth Magennis wrote:
[...]

Missing or inadequate ground line?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

[...]

I have investigated that to a degree.

(Typical of these amps is to have the chassis ground connected to circuit
ground via 100 ohm resistor in parallel with a cap)

I've checked the grounding around the input socket and how the signal is
then transported to the board with the valves on it etc.
Everything appears to be OK. Nobody has fitted a non insulated jack socket
or anything like that.

But yes, I suspect something like the feedback is coming via the Ground, or
lack of, somewhere.

This amp HAS been messed with, however. The soldering on the footswitch
jack was appalling, resulting in disabling all channel change functions,
which I have now fixed.
There was other work that had failed that was equally poor quality.

Thanks,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 08/12/2015 21:11, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

[...]

This is the next route I'd take in.
Put a dummy load with scope on the amp and run via a variac.
100% mains until oscillating, then turn down to 60% or whatever , that
still maintains oscillation, then probe a 600V 1nF (if ultrasonic,higher
C if lower f) cap around to see where there is a change in oscillation
frequency.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message ...

[...]

Come on Phil, give us a clue, I'm stuck here.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Come on Phil, give us a clue, I'm stuck here.

** Most times I've seen such a problem, it was due to lack of shielding between the output valve plate wiring and input signal wiring. Maybe a shielded signal wire really isn't or the plate wires need to be twisted, tidied and pushed against the chassis.

Everything in the JCM600 is crammed together making unwanted coupling more likely.

Other times it has been due to high resistance grounds on pots or jacks - or because some fool decided to put the OT next to the inputs jacks.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/12/2015 22:38, Gareth Magennis wrote:

[...]

I assume you've swapped out valves one by one, in case there is an
internal electrode problem , not picked up in a valve tester.
Another idea, moving a piece of mumetal around in likely areas?
Do aluminium valve shields actually screen from stray, to any great
extent, rather than just for valve retainer function?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Come on Phil, give us a clue, I'm stuck here.

** Most times I've seen such a problem, it was due to lack of shielding
between the output valve plate wiring and input signal wiring. Maybe a
shielded signal wire really isn't or the plate wires need to be twisted,
tidied and pushed against the chassis.

Everything in the JCM600 is crammed together making unwanted coupling more
likely.

Other times it has been due to high resistance grounds on pots or jacks -
or because some fool decided to put the OT next to the inputs jacks.

..... Phil

Thanks, Phil, things are indeed particularly tight in this amp, and there
are loads of those pesky jumpers from PCB to PCB.
Makes the whole thing rather unenjoyable.

I'll have a look at the cable dressing etc, maybe something's not been put
back properly by the previous not very skilled repairer.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

[...]

I changed all the valves for a "test set" of known good new ones.
No difference to the originals. (One output valve was faulty)

I checked all the pot values (and their soldering), in case someone had put
the wrong one in. They hadn't.

I guess if I can get it to the point where I can hear the obvious frequency
lobe building, I can start poking and moving cables around to see if
anything increases or decreases the lobe.
That will be monday.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 14:11:13 -0000, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

Any quick hints or tips from anyone? (It's not the Prescence feedback
circuit, or the valves)

I think I looked at the right schematic. I don't do repairs these days
but going back in time, it was not uncommon for spurious oscillations from
the output stages. Not denying that overall looping may be a problem but
*some* strange ultrasonics etc would get tamed by tiny (small value) chokes
in the plate connections and/or adding resistors into the grid line (so-called
grid stoppers). The circuit shows that there are some there. Maybe
replace/upgrade? Have you checked for RF band oscillations (in addition to
your audio group)?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Black Iccy wrote:

I think I looked at the right schematic. I don't do repairs these days
but going back in time, it was not uncommon for spurious oscillations from
the output stages. Not denying that overall looping may be a problem but
*some* strange ultrasonics etc would get tamed by tiny (small value) chokes
in the plate connections and/or adding resistors into the grid line (so-called
grid stoppers). The circuit shows that there are some there. Maybe
replace/upgrade? Have you checked for RF band oscillations (in addition to
your audio group)?

** The OP's Marshall is unstable, oscillating at a few kHz, when gain settings are high. This strongly suggests that positive feedback is the culprit.

It is surprising how little capacitive coupling from the output valve plate wiring to input grid wiring can cause this to happen - with a voltage gain of over 200,000 between the two, even 1/100th of a pF will do the job.

The input sensitivity to full power of Marshall models fitted with a master volume is typically 60 microvolts at 6kHz, with all controls maxed. Just plugging an open circuit jack into the input results in oscillation.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Come on Phil, give us a clue, I'm stuck here.

** Most times I've seen such a problem, it was due to lack of shielding
between the output valve plate wiring and input signal wiring. Maybe a
shielded signal wire really isn't or the plate wires need to be twisted,
tidied and pushed against the chassis.

Everything in the JCM600 is crammed together making unwanted coupling more
likely.

Other times it has been due to high resistance grounds on pots or jacks -
or because some fool decided to put the OT next to the inputs jacks.

..... Phil

Yep, the plate wiring wasn't tidy or hard on the chassis, and one of the PCB
interconnects was way too close. (Some cable ties had not been replaced)

All is good now, thanks.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Phil Allison"

Come on Phil, give us a clue, I'm stuck here.

** Most times I've seen such a problem, it was due to lack of shielding
between the output valve plate wiring and input signal wiring. Maybe a
shielded signal wire really isn't or the plate wires need to be twisted,
tidied and pushed against the chassis.

Everything in the JCM600 is crammed together making unwanted coupling more
likely.

Other times it has been due to high resistance grounds on pots or jacks -
or because some fool decided to put the OT next to the inputs jacks.

Yep, the plate wiring wasn't tidy or hard on the chassis, and one of the PCB
interconnects was way too close. (Some cable ties had not been replaced)

** Found this pic of the insides of one:

http://gitaradiy.pl/uploads/2_974_JCM600_6.jpg

The OT is on the far left ( right behind the input jacks ) and primary wires run next to all the pre-amp valve wiring on their way to the valve sockets on the right.

That is a *really* poor layout for a valve guitar amp and sitting duck for oscillation.

Be worthwhile twisting the three primary wires and moving them further back.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Phil Allison"

[...]

The multitude of grey interconnects are not actually screened cable, just a
signal wire lying beside an earth wire.
I don't know what level of protection that actually offers.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote:

** Found this pic of the insides of one:

http://gitaradiy.pl/uploads/2_974_JCM600_6.jpg

The OT is on the far left ( right behind the input jacks ) and primary wires
run next to all the pre-amp valve wiring on their way to the valve sockets
on the right.

That is a *really* poor layout for a valve guitar amp and sitting duck for
oscillation.

Be worthwhile twisting the three primary wires and moving them further back.

The multitude of grey interconnects are not actually screened cable, just a
signal wire lying beside an earth wire.
I don't know what level of protection that actually offers.

** Close to none.

The layout relies on the two plate wires being in close proximity so the out of phase electric fields cancel at a distance.

... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote:

[...]

By the way, and off topic now, I had a young lad come to me today to ask
about how he might learn how to digitally model valve amps for his
University project.
He was sent by a customer of mine who I've repaired valve amps for, and is a
teacher at his college.

I recommended this book, as this is the one I first read to learn the
basics, and I think it is quite good for that. Certainly taught me a lot.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Valve-Amplif.../dp/0750656948

Do you or anyone else have any knowledge/opinion of this publication, or
anything else I could recommend him?

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 7:00:52 PM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:
Gareth Magennis wrote:

** Found this pic of the insides of one:

http://gitaradiy.pl/uploads/2_974_JCM600_6.jpg

The OT is on the far left ( right behind the input jacks ) and primary wires
run next to all the pre-amp valve wiring on their way to the valve sockets
on the right.

That is a *really* poor layout for a valve guitar amp and sitting duck for
oscillation.

Be worthwhile twisting the three primary wires and moving them further back.

The multitude of grey interconnects are not actually screened cable, just a
signal wire lying beside an earth wire.
I don't know what level of protection that actually offers.

** Close to none.

The layout relies on the two plate wires being in close proximity so the out of phase electric fields cancel at a distance.

... Phil

There is a third option. Stop being a hero. You can not fix everything. Phone the customer and say this is a tricky problem and that they are better off taking it to the manufacturer for service. You will lose money but gain some cookie points for being honest. Better still the manufacturer is now spinning their wheels trying to fix it not you which the way it should be if it is a design problem.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote:

[...]

Many times in the past it is the warranty stations that figure out
what the design fault is and the modification that needs to be done
and notifies the manufactuer.

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Heath wrote:

The layout relies on the two plate wires being in close
proximity so the out of phase electric fields cancel at a distance.

There is a third option. Stop being a hero.
You can not fix everything. Phone the customer
and say this is a tricky problem and that they
are better off taking it to the manufacturer for
service.

** The OP fixed the oscillation problem, after acting on my advice about cable dress. A previous repairer had been careless.

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Chuck wrote:

Many times in the past it is the warranty stations that figure out
what the design fault is and the modification that needs to be done
and notifies the manufactuer.

** Lucky if they take any notice of repairers at all - the products are by then all sold and a recall is out of the question.

If the product is made in another country, you got no chance - the reply will likely be: "We do not have that issue here... "

Designers are typically arrogant people and manufacturers very reluctant to admit when there is a serious problem that requires them to change what they are doing.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote:

[...]

When an owner finds out how much it costs in carrier fees plus insurance
to a main agent for repair sometime in the next 3 months(even if
manufacturer pays the return cost), then finds out a good chance of said
item being repaired locally for much the same cost , in half a week,
they always tend to one option, as they have a gig next week.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 8:14:17 PM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:
John Heath wrote:

The layout relies on the two plate wires being in close
proximity so the out of phase electric fields cancel at a distance.

There is a third option. Stop being a hero.
You can not fix everything. Phone the customer
and say this is a tricky problem and that they
are better off taking it to the manufacturer for
service.

** The OP fixed the oscillation problem, after acting on my advice about cable dress. A previous repairer had been careless.

.... Phil

I can see how wire dressing would cause this with high gain of a guitar amp.. However this is Monday night quarterbacking. One does not know it is wire dressing , flat electrolytic , cold solder. Oscillation problems are almost as bad as intermittent problems. You can go round and round all day with no clear path to success. I say do not be a hero. If it walks like a dog and it talks like a dog get out of it while you can. Once that repair is billed you have entered a contract for 90 days warranty where the the window of opportunity to get out of it is lost. It can put you out of business.

Related to wire dressing I have noticed in some preamps the power transformer is mounted in an odd orientation. Often at 45 degrees to the chassis frame. I imagine an engineer when prototyping move the power transformer here and there finding the sweet null spot where stray 60 CPS would not couple into the inputs. I have a bench frequency counter that is the same with the power transformer mounted at 45 degrees relative to the chassis frame.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Heath wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:

The layout relies on the two plate wires being in close
proximity so the out of phase electric fields cancel at a distance.

There is a third option. Stop being a hero.
You can not fix everything. Phone the customer
and say this is a tricky problem and that they
are better off taking it to the manufacturer for
service.

** The OP fixed the oscillation problem, after acting on my
advice about cable dress. A previous repairer had been careless.

I can see how wire dressing would cause this with high gain of a guitar
amp. However this is Monday night quarterbacking. One does not know it
is wire dressing ,

** Moving the input signal and output plate wires BACK to where they were originally and having all oscillation stop is enough proof for anyone familiar with tube guitar amps - but apparently not you.

AC supply transformer orientation can be critical in sensitive devices, graphic equalisers and tape machines are good examples - plus CRT based scopes.

In tube amps, AC and output transformers are normally mounted close together with the cores at right angles to prevent direct injection of 50/60 Hz hum.

In case of the OP's JCM600, Marshall elected to mount the two at opposite ends of the chassis, maybe to balance the weight, but doing so can easily lead to instability.

..... Phil