Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default Mackie SR24.4

Does anyone have any experience with the Mackie SR24.4

A customer asked if I could repair one which he said had a power issue.

So I was hoping for an easy power supply repair but on opening it I find
this in channel 11.

s651.photobucket.com/user/jbloggs2/library

Sorry Mr Customer I don't think it's going to be repairable.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Smith wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the Mackie SR24.4

A customer asked if I could repair one which he said had a power issue.

So I was hoping for an easy power supply repair but on opening it I find
this in channel 11.

s651.photobucket.com/user/jbloggs2/library

Sorry Mr Customer I don't think it's going to be repairable.

** It might take a bit of time and work, but that looks repairable to me.

Mackie don't bother to de-couple each channel with fusible resistors in case of a short. Op-amps can be the cause and then PSU delivers up to 20 watts of heat into one - starting a small fire.

I would start by removing all the burnt parts and seeing if the PSU fault is cleared.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
John Smith wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the Mackie SR24.4

A customer asked if I could repair one which he said had a power issue.

So I was hoping for an easy power supply repair but on opening it I find
this in channel 11.

s651.photobucket.com/user/jbloggs2/library

Sorry Mr Customer I don't think it's going to be repairable.

** It might take a bit of time and work, but that looks repairable to me.

Mackie don't bother to de-couple each channel with fusible resistors in
case of a short. Op-amps can be the cause and then PSU delivers up to 20
watts of heat into one - starting a small fire.

I would start by removing all the burnt parts and seeing if the PSU fault
is cleared.

Yes I probably could repair it by cutting out the burn, bridging the tracks,
and remaking the circuit on the back of the board with a DIP version of the
opamp (if it's a failed opamp) and the relavant components.

However the customer has decided not to go that far and just wants the
channel 1-14 board disconnected.

... Phil