Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design

Default Adhesive to hold Speaker crossover components

I'm replacing a couple of capacitors in speaker crossover.
The parts have a glue that holds them tight to the PCB, the glue is
still a little bit rubbery after 33 years. (Pioneer HPM-700)
What can I use that will do the same job, without solvent damage
to the electronic parts?

Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design

On 06/10/2015 14:54, amdx wrote:
I'm replacing a couple of capacitors in speaker crossover.
The parts have a glue that holds them tight to the PCB, the glue is
still a little bit rubbery after 33 years. (Pioneer HPM-700)
What can I use that will do the same job, without solvent damage
to the electronic parts?

Mikek

Sounds like RTV Silicone. That's what I use for heavier components
subject to vibration. eg...

http://uk.farnell.com/dow-corning/31...90ml/dp/537007

Cheers
--
Syd

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design

On 10/6/2015 8:54 AM, amdx wrote:
I'm replacing a couple of capacitors in speaker crossover.
The parts have a glue that holds them tight to the PCB, the glue is
still a little bit rubbery after 33 years. (Pioneer HPM-700)
What can I use that will do the same job, without solvent damage
to the electronic parts?

Mikek

Thanks Guys,
A 10 minute search and a phone call to the wife, I just had to dig
deeper into where I thought the hot glue was.

Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 10:10:51 -0500, amdx Gave us:

On 10/6/2015 8:54 AM, amdx wrote:
I'm replacing a couple of capacitors in speaker crossover.
The parts have a glue that holds them tight to the PCB, the glue is
still a little bit rubbery after 33 years. (Pioneer HPM-700)
What can I use that will do the same job, without solvent damage
to the electronic parts?

Mikek

Thanks Guys,
A 10 minute search and a phone call to the wife, I just had to dig
deeper into where I thought the hot glue was.

Mikek

It is all over your synapses and holding your eyelids shut.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design

On 10/6/2015 8:54 AM, amdx wrote:
I'm replacing a couple of capacitors in speaker crossover.
The parts have a glue that holds them tight to the PCB, the glue is
still a little bit rubbery after 33 years. (Pioneer HPM-700)
What can I use that will do the same job, without solvent damage
to the electronic parts?

Mikek

Thanks Guys,
A 10 minute search and a phone call to the wife, I just had to dig
deeper into where I thought the hot glue was.

Mikek

It is all over your synapses and holding your eyelids shut.

Expectations. I was looking for the orange power cord. It was in a
bookcase behind other items, in a bag. I couldn't see the orange cord
through the bag.
In other words, it was my wife's fault!

Mikek :-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design

http://www.amazon.com/Sashco-13013-S.../dp/B0012DIUYW

Lexel Adhesive Caulk

read the fine print.
can use on polycarbonate as I did, so most anything it sticks to and
remains slightly flexible.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design

In sci.electronics.repair, on Tue, 06 Oct 2015 23:07:03 -0700, OldGuy
wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Sashco-13013-S.../dp/B0012DIUYW

Lexel Adhesive Caulk

read the fine print.
can use on polycarbonate as I did, so most anything it sticks to and
remains slightly flexible.

I bought a gun-sized tuber for the bathtub, etc. but havenn't used it
yet.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 17:22:58 -0500, amdx Gave us:

snip

Expectations. I was looking for the orange power cord. It was in a
bookcase behind other items, in a bag. I couldn't see the orange cord
through the bag.
In other words, it was my wife's fault!

Mikek :-)

Now, it appears that you are very lucky that she doesn't read Usenet
news group posts.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 23:07:03 -0700, OldGuy Gave
us:

http://www.amazon.com/Sashco-13013-S.../dp/B0012DIUYW

Lexel Adhesive Caulk

read the fine print.
can use on polycarbonate as I did, so most anything it sticks to and
remains slightly flexible.

What does the chinese use on SMPS inductors, caps, etc.?

I mean I have seen RTV and hot melt, but there are some that use some
yellowish "caulk" type stuff that is a bit more turgid (for lack of a
better term).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design

On 10/6/2015 8:54 AM, amdx wrote:
I'm replacing a couple of capacitors in speaker crossover.
The parts have a glue that holds them tight to the PCB, the glue is
still a little bit rubbery after 33 years. (Pioneer HPM-700)
What can I use that will do the same job, without solvent damage
to the electronic parts?

Mikek

Thanks Guys,
A 10 minute search and a phone call to the wife, I just had to dig
deeper into where I thought the hot glue was.

Mikek

It is all over your synapses and holding your eyelids shut.

Expectations. I was looking for the orange power cord. It was in a
bookcase behind other items, in a bag. I couldn't see the orange cord
through the bag.
In other words, it was my wife's fault!

Mikek :-)

The caps have been replaced, the speakers work. I think! This a 4 way
speaker with the super tweeter crossover frequency at 12kHz. I can't
hear past 11kHz. I plan on selling these speakers, so I want to verify
they do operate. I did verify operation out of the cabinet driving the
super tweeters with a signal generator. I need to hook my sig gen to my
amp and listen to the super tweeter with a mic and scope while in the
cabinet.
Where is teenager when you need one?

Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design

On 10/6/2015 8:54 AM, amdx wrote:
[...]

You might try an SPL meter, or perhaps your wife hasn't read this
thread and will help? ;-) You might try measuring the impedance of
the speaker assembly across the audio band, too. You should be able
to see the crossover and tweeter.

Where is teenager when you need one?

Save them for setting clocks. ;-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 07:49:45 -0500, amdx Gave us:

On 10/6/2015 8:54 AM, amdx wrote:
[...]

Feed the amp with the sig gen to spot the crossover points.

Drive with no more than 150mV

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design

On 10/6/2015 8:54 AM, amdx wrote:
[...]

Why such a low level?
I seem to recall driving the Super tweeter with about 1V to hear
11 kHz out of it. (out of cabinet)
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 16:27:24 -0500, amdx Gave us:

On 10/7/2015 12:05 PM, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:

snip

Feed the amp with the sig gen to spot the crossover points.

Drive with no more than 150mV

Why such a low level?
I seem to recall driving the Super tweeter with about 1V to hear
11 kHz out of it. (out of cabinet)
Mikek

The amplifier input, you big dummy.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 9:54:37 AM UTC-4, amdx wrote:
I'm replacing a couple of capacitors in speaker crossover.
The parts have a glue that holds them tight to the PCB, the glue is
still a little bit rubbery after 33 years. (Pioneer HPM-700)
What can I use that will do the same job, without solvent damage
to the electronic parts?

Mikek

Lexel lives on the top of RV's, but is used for gluing tupper ware together...that is there should be a hard solvent process in there...see the MSDS.

here's Allied:

http://www.alliedelec.com/chemicals-adhesives/