Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Repairing a 5 VDC adapter

Uniden BC-GPSK Serial GPS Receiver plugs into the serial port of my Ham
Radio. It uses a power adapter built into a 12 Volt lighter plug, that
converts 12 Volts DC into 5 Volts DC 1 Ampere. It has a one Ampere fuse.

After 6 months the GPS stopped working, fuse was blown. Replacement
fuse blew immediately. Opened up the adapter and found a shorted
transistor. There is also an unmarked 8 pin IC. Even if the transistor
is replaced, it still might not work. So I built up a tab-mounted 7805
regulator with a couple of capacitors for stability.

Added some heat sinking, expecting the GPS to draw nearly an Ampere.
Guess what? After hooking the GPS back up, the 7805 barely gets warm.
Temperature is about 10 degrees F above ambient. In other words the
original power adapter was greatly over specified for current. I
suspect a 78L05 would have been sufficient.

The designers must have found it expedient to use an off-the-shelf
adapter, even though it has reduced reliability and they did not need
the available current.

Fred
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 18:27:05 -0400, Fred McKenzie
wrote:

Uniden BC-GPSK Serial GPS Receiver plugs into the serial port of my Ham
Radio. It uses a power adapter built into a 12 Volt lighter plug, that
converts 12 Volts DC into 5 Volts DC 1 Ampere. It has a one Ampere fuse.

The cancer stick socket to 5V adapter outputs to a USB port. There
are specialized chips for the purpose, which include device detection,
short circuit protection, and current limiting. In other words, they
do more than supply 5VDC. While just 5V might be sufficient for your
GPS receiver, it would not be acceptable for a smartphone, tablet, or
other device that depends on a USB interface chip to identify the
charger capabilities.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Fred McKenzie wrote:

[...]

** Your story reminds me of an issue that cropped up when the first portable CD players appeared the mid 1980s.

Folk liked to use them in their cars and wanted a DC adaptor for the job - one that plugged into the lighter outlet. Sony and Pioneer offered custom adaptors to go with their machines but for a steep price. The spec needed was 4.5V at 1 amp - but with a trap.

Generic brand car DC adaptors were available too, for well under half the Sony price with switchable output voltages of 9, 6 and 4.5V, with a 1 amp rating - so why not use one of them ?

When tried with a generic adaptor, the player worked - but soon as you hit the "skip track" button stopped. An on/off cycle was then needed to get it going again.

Reason was when track skipping, the machines drew a brief surge of about 3 amps which the generic adaptor could not supply. Plus, if the slide switch was ever set at 9V = instant destruction of the player OR if the puny transistor inside got too hot and failed short = same result.

..... Phil

bra

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Phil Allison wrote:

Fred McKenzie wrote:

[...]

Current measured at the input to the regulator varies around 55 to 60
mA. This includes 5 or 10 mA for an LED pilot light. I changed to a
1/4 Amp fuse because that was the smallest I have.

I am not using the original lighter plug, but built it into an Altoids
can. It should be easy to fit a 78L05 into the original plug, but the
plug plus socket is bulkier than the Altoids can.

Fred

(I do not especially like Altoids, but the cans are worth it!)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Fred McKenzie wrote:
[...]

Was this a switching regulator? I've ripped apart a bunch of car adapters
for phones and just USB power and they're all essentially the same device.
Some have a pilot LED, some have fuses, some are rated 12-24V in, but
everything else is the same, and also circles a 8 pin chip.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Fred McKenzie wrote:
[...]

Yes. Has fuse, pilot LED and 12-24V in. I would not be surprised if
other adapters found at a thrift store have the identical circuit board.

As a purist I might attempt to repair the original adapter, but the
simple 7805 circuit works well. Besides, fuses are not cheap!

Fred
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Fred McKenzie wrote:
[...]

If you have toss zener across the output as some sort of lazy over voltage
protection. You can create a fusible link type fuse with a strand of wire
from headphones or something really thin too.

I dug out an old multimeter that had a loop of really thin wire wrapped
around the blown fuse. Guess I had none of the right type at the time.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

Fred McKenzie wrote:
[...]

I use those cheap 120 volt to 5 volt charger cubes or supplies, when I
need 5 volts from 120 volts for a board level project. Saves the hell
out of making your own onboard 120v to 5 supply when you can simply
rip it out of the case of those dirt cheap cubes at the local junk
store.

Need adapter USB to PATA laptop hard drive adapter. David Farber Electronics Repair 15 August 8th 14 10:32 PM
Can I charge my laptop with a 60W adapter instead of a 90W adapter?! [email protected] Electronics Repair 4 January 7th 07 01:58 AM
Sell:Brass Male Adapter,Swivel Female Adapter,Flare Adapter,Tee,Connector,Barbed Tee,Elbow, valvetom Home Repair 0 November 27th 06 05:50 PM
4 way adapter Ronald UK diy 8 September 17th 06 11:52 PM
AC Adapter Vic Electronics Repair 0 November 25th 04 10:26 AM