Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default x-tronic 4000 hot air station replacement heating element

I have an X-tronic 4000 that burned out it's hot air element (lasted three years, not bad). It shipped with a spare heater which is nice but I'd like to keep one in stock in case this one craps. There are a lot on ebay but none list the x-tronic specifically. The element in my station looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heating-Elem...item27d29aeeff

The description lists it at 250W (like mine does) but it's at 220V. Mine is a 120V machine, and I don't see any others that physically look the same but are 110V units. I didn't take mine apart but I don't think it's got a step up trans inside, or does it? Anybody else have this machine and a source for the elements?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 12:45:32 -0700 (PDT), John-Del
wrote:

I have an X-tronic 4000 that burned out it's hot air element (lasted three years, not bad). It shipped with a spare heater which is nice but I'd like to keep one in stock in case this one craps. There are a lot on ebay but none list the x-tronic specifically. The element in my station looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heating-Elem...item27d29aeeff

The description lists it at 250W (like mine does) but it's at 220V. Mine is a 120V machine, and I don't see any others that physically look the same but are 110V units. I didn't take mine apart but I don't think it's got a step up trans inside, or does it? Anybody else have this machine and a source for the elements?

John,

This should work. It has the case so it costs about 25.00 with
shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rework-S...item1e9a11e5ab

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I have an X-tronic 4000 that burned out it's hot air element (lasted three years, not bad). It shipped with a spare heater which is nice but I'd like to keep one in stock in case this one craps. There are a lot on ebay but none list the x-tronic specifically. The element in my station looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heating-Elem...item27d29aeeff

The description lists it at 250W (like mine does) but it's at 220V. Mine is a 120V machine, and I don't see any others that physically look the same but are 110V units. I didn't take mine apart but I don't think it's got a step up trans inside, or does it? Anybody else have this machine and a source for the elements?

This should work. It has the case so it costs about 25.00 with
shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rework-S...item1e9a11e5ab

It would seem that X-tronic 4000 takes the same heating element as the
common 850 style hot air gun. If that's the case, there are plenty to
choose from on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=850+heating+element
If you go down the list, most are for 220VAC, but some include a
choice of voltage, such as:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281374270229

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

The coiled ones on the ceramic form look drastically different from
the "bird nest" ones that are used in the X-tronics station. I
noticed that they both have the same plug so they could be
interchangable.

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 16:43:54 -0500, Chuck wrote:

The coiled ones on the ceramic form look drastically different from
the "bird nest" ones that are used in the X-tronics station. I
noticed that they both have the same plug so they could be
interchangable.

Yep. My guess(tm) is that the ceramic form flavor does a better job
of supporting the nichrome wires than the free form tangle of wires.
My favorite way of destroying heater wires is to drop the device while
it's red hot. The creamic form does block the air flow more than the
free form flavor, so there may be a problem if you like to use high
levels of air flow. I don't because it spreads the heat over too
large an area on the PCB. At $10/ea, it's cheap enough that one could
buy one of each type and experiment.

I just looked inside my 852d hot air gun and found that it uses a
ceramic heater form.