DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT landline metering (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/384738-ot-landline-metering.html)

Gareth Magennis September 11th 15 11:01 AM

OT landline metering

Can't seem to Google this, but in the old days (in the UK) you could put a
call meter in series on your landline, that I think measured some kind of
"click" from the exchange that signified another unit of calltime charged.
You could thus keep a tally on the calls made on that phone.

This was useful when I was in a shared house, where everyone wrote down the
units they had used, and the phone bill was split accordingly.

I can't seem to find such a thing now. Is it possible to meter your used
units now?

Cheers,

Gareth.

Baron[_4_] September 11th 15 01:05 PM

OT landline metering

Gareth Magennis prodded the keyboard with:

Can't seem to Google this, but in the old days (in the UK) you could
put a call meter in series on your landline, that I think measured
some kind of "click" from the exchange that signified another unit
of calltime charged. You could thus keep a tally on the calls made
on that phone.

This was useful when I was in a shared house, where everyone wrote
down the units they had used, and the phone bill was split
accordingly.

I can't seem to find such a thing now. Is it possible to meter your
used units now?

Cheers,

Gareth.

No its all gone with the advent of "inclusive call charging". I no
longer get a phone bill as such. Sure I get an Email telling me what
calls I've made but never how much they cost. Line rental gets taken
yearly and broadband and calls inclusive monthly. That might as well
be taken yearly as well since it never changes. However it does
provide a mechanism for the ISP to charge me for internet usage.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.