Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Car radio - Tape player dead.

I have a 1995 Chevy truck. The Delco (factory) radio works fine, but the
tape player was dead when I bought the used truck. I would not use the
tape player anyhow, so that did not matter.

The problem is that a former owner of this truck, must have attempted tp
repair or remove a stuck, and used some tool, which mangled the tape
player innards.

Because of this, everytime I turn on the radio, it would begin by
grinding, clunking, and making all sorts of irritating sounds, BEFORE
the radio would start. These sounds were the tape player's motor, relay,
or whatever was attempting to play a tape, even without a tape on it.

Since I had to take the dashboard apart to do some repairs, I had easy
access to the radio. I removed it, and intended to cut the wires to the
motor and any relays. When I opened it, I found all the metal (where a
tape would be inserted), all bent up and destroyed.

Rather than cut individual wires, I found the tape portion, including
two circuit boards, all being fed by one large plug, which was plugged
into the other half of the radio.

I just removed that plug completely, thinking that would make the entire
radio unusable. But after reconnecting the power and speaker plugs, the
radio works fine, and those annoying tape player sounds are gone.

I'm posting this to ask if there is any reason I could damage the radio
by leaving those other boards unplugged? If not, I'm good to go, because
I now have a working radio, and the useless tape player is completely
disconnected.

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 14:56:17 -0500, wrote:

[...]

No. What you did won't cause a problem.

---

CD Player nearly dead? John UK diy 16 July 20th 09 08:07 PM
dvd player gone dead Papcina Electronics Repair 2 November 20th 07 11:41 AM
dvd player seems dead david foley Electronics Repair 1 September 16th 05 07:35 AM
[OT] portable radio/CD player for MP3s? Lobster UK diy 4 February 25th 05 05:22 PM
Cassette Tape Player indago Electronics Repair 0 September 29th 03 01:36 PM