Sidney

Default "Windows protection error"

I don't repair computers nor do I know anything about them but the
lady living above me has a PI MMX 200Mhz com computer with 82 MB RAM
(2 pairs of 72 pin SIMM modules) with a A07 Open motherboard made in
Dec 18,1997.
When ever she turns on her computer equipped with Windows 98 OS it
does it's routine start up screens there after the display reads
something like "Windows protection error must restart your computer"
well I physically disconnected one part at a time like one pair of
RAM,then the 44X CD ROM then the modem and the problem still persists.
Note:during save mode operation the computer goes all the way to
desktop but does not have a D drive icon (CD ROM) therefore she cannot
use the CD ROM and in order for me to enable the "add/remove hardware"
icon I cannot be in save mode.What's the problem with this computer.
Thanks.
Wayne Tiffany

1. First off, is she connected to the internet at all? Virus & spyware
both come to mind.
2. There's a chance with a machine that old that the CMOS battery is about
shot and therefore the BIOS is getting corrupted.
3. Is there a particular device listed with the error message? If so, it
might provide a clue.
4. What's changed recently - any hardware or software changes? Windows
updates installed recently?
5. If it boots ok in safe mode, could be back to #1, or could be a failing
piece of hardware per #3, or a bit on the hard drive could have gone bad.
Will it run scandisk in safe mode? If so, try that to see what shows up.

Come back again with more info.

WT

"Sidney" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Per-Olof Ahl

"Sidney" wrote
[...]

Sounds like a software/registry problem!

You can try start the computer into dos by pressing F8 before the computer
starts to load windows and select msdos in the menu following.

In the command-prompt you can try the program Scanreg.

If you type "Scanreg /restore" you might cure the problem if you restore to
an old automatically stored registry-backup.

/ Per-Olof

rstlne

[...]

Go here..
http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

Not sure if a url that long will post correctly so you might need to make it
into one long url heh

Allodoxaphobia

On 8 Sep 2003 09:02:48 -0700, Sidney hath writ:
When ever she turns on her computer equipped with Windows 98 OS it
.... like "Windows protection error must restart your computer"
What's the problem with this computer.

I think you already answered your own question. :-)

Jonesy
--
| Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | OS/2
| Gunnison, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | linux __
| 7,703' -- 2,345m | config.com | DM68mn SK

Super Slueth

Gee this is hard one.

You don't say if the OS is 98 or 98SE(Second Edition) 98 was very
flakey hense microsft released SE

If she is on the Internet without a virus scanner it could be a virus.
Mcafee is a good one (www.mcafee.com) try also Adaware
(www.lavasoft.de) it removes spyware and other things that are not
viruses but annoying

If she's had it since 97 make sure that all fans are turning and that
they are free from dust. I have a small compressor that I use for this
purpose. Your local auto workshop might be able to help you, don't
forget the power supply.

If you are getting as far as the desktop you have a fair chance that
it is not hardware, but not to be ruled out.

Has she tried to load any new software recently.

Take off all extra hardware except RAM, video,floppy, CDROM, and
harddisk and see if it boots OK.

If all else fails a format and re-install might be the only option. If
you can get into DOS you might be able to save her data.

If you are going to play around with the hardware make sure you have
yourself and the computer protected against static

On 8 Sep 2003 09:02:48 -0700, (Sidney) wrote:

[...]

James Sweet

Windows often just gets hosed after a while, much of it is the fault of
sloppy applications that leave remnants or delete things they shouldn't when
uninstalled. Reformat the hard drive and install the OS from scratch, if the
hardware is ok then it'll work. Otherwise the next thing I'd suspect is bad
RAM.

"Sidney" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Peter de Vroomen

What's the problem with this computer.

The problem is that it's running Microsoft software.

PeterV

Peter de Vroomen

Default Fup: "Windows protection error"

The problem is that it's running Microsoft software.

Install one of the Operating Systems that Microsoft created in co-operation
with a serious company, like IBM. That would therefore be: Windows NT,
Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Although with Windows XP, Microsoft decided to
tamper the one thing they hadn't really dared to lay their fingers on upto
then: the Windows kernel. Therefore, Windows XP might also be unstable. But
I don't know for sure. There's no reason to prefer Windows XP over Windows
2000 (unless you see your expensive computer as a toy), so I haven't
installed it yet. I am trying to stall that decision as long as possible,
until Microsoft devises some new trick to force me to update (i.e. a new
service pack that makes my computer respond twice as slow, or 'buy' a law
that forces people to only use their newest products).

PeterV

P.S. It's so fun to bash Microsoft, especially because whatever you say
about them, there's allways at least half the truth in it :+).

Andre

"rstlne" wrote in message ...
"Peter de Vroomen" wrote in message
[...]

I dont think a 200mmx chip is the ideal thing for win2k or winNT. He should
stick with win98se if possible. If we look at win2k and winnt and winxp
then we see they were perfect for some of the worst worm/virii to grow..
98se only had one major problem, that was the ability for a user to do a DoS
attack on it and the pc just bluescreen.. I would guess that a 98se machine
is probably pretty safe these days too, most virii being spread are going to
be target'd for xp or 2k and no for an outdated os

Thats why I use 98

-A

I notice that very few of the never viruses target 98 . methinks the
virus writers have all upgraded .. ? Anyone ?

jakdedert

"Wayne Tiffany" wrote in message
1. First off, is she connected to the internet at all? Virus & spyware
both come to mind.
2. There's a chance with a machine that old that the CMOS battery is

about
shot and therefore the BIOS is getting corrupted.
3. Is there a particular device listed with the error message? If so, it
might provide a clue.
4. What's changed recently - any hardware or software changes? Windows
updates installed recently?
5. If it boots ok in safe mode, could be back to #1, or could be a

failing
piece of hardware per #3, or a bit on the hard drive could have gone bad.
Will it run scandisk in safe mode? If so, try that to see what shows up.

Come back again with more info.

WT

Also, if access to the CD is required, boot up with an emergency boot disk.
Don't have one? Make one--in any machine using the same OS version...look
under the Windows Help screens to figure out how.... If the same version's
not available, use any Win98 machine...even Win95 will do in a pinch. What
you're after are the DOS CD drivers. You can do a full reinstall of the OS
from there as a last resort.

jak

"Sidney" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Allodoxaphobia

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 12:00:58 +0200, Peter de Vroomen hath writ:
The problem is that it's running Microsoft software.

Install one of the Operating Systems that Microsoft created in co-operation
with a serious company, like IBM. That would therefore be: Windows NT,
Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

Or OS/2! Now re-named as ECS (E-Commerce Station).
Still viable -- still sold -- still supported.
And, nobody in Redmond is fiddling with it -- anymore.

http://www.zeta.org.au/~julian/os2.wav

Jonesy
--
| Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | OS/2
| Gunnison, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | linux __
| 7,703' -- 2,345m | config.com | DM68mn SK
Al Savage

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 18:08:08 UTC, Allodoxaphobia
wrote:

There are a LOT of things that can cause that particular error msg.
Almost all of them are software-related.

The problem is that it's running Microsoft software.

Install one of the Operating Systems that Microsoft created in co-operation
with a serious company, like IBM.

Or OS/2! Now re-named as ECS (E-Commerce Station).
Still viable -- still sold -- still supported.

And there is not ONE virus in the wild that affects OS/2. Not ONE!

--
Regards,
Al S.

This OS/2 system ("Tori", W4 FP15) uptime is 8 days 10:08 hours
john

Win95...NO ! dont do it.

kip

--
"Watch the return E-Mail addy its false"
"Sidney" wrote in message
om...
After reading everyone's responses on this site and several others and
after trying many of the suggestions I still cannot get it to work and
since she does not have a Win98 CD,I found someone who is going to
sell her Win95E with the OEM # for only $5.I would like to know how to
format her hard drive and install Win95E?.Thanks.

Tom MacIntyre

wrote:

There are a LOT of things that can cause that particular error msg.
Almost all of them are software-related.

The problem is that it's running Microsoft software.

Install one of the Operating Systems that Microsoft created in co-operation
with a serious company, like IBM.

Or OS/2! Now re-named as ECS (E-Commerce Station).
Still viable -- still sold -- still supported.

And there is not ONE virus in the wild that affects OS/2. Not ONE!

But...is this because they are invulnerable, or because nobody will
bother to code a virus that will affect so few computers? Of course,
if it works for you... :-)

Tom
James Sweet

"rstlne" wrote in message

[...]

If he has enough RAM then Win2k would be fine on that PC. My laptop is a PII
with only 96mb and I run 98SE on that, it's been pretty solid and works well
for what it is, but 9x is more prone to being broken by shoddy applications.
2k is much more solid but requires more RAM, XP is mostly just 2k with a
bunch of extra crap and requires even more RAM.

James Sweet

"Allodoxaphobia" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 12:00:58 +0200, Peter de Vroomen hath writ:
The problem is that it's running Microsoft software.

Install one of the Operating Systems that Microsoft created in

co-operation
with a serious company, like IBM. That would therefore be: Windows NT,
Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

Or OS/2! Now re-named as ECS (E-Commerce Station).
Still viable -- still sold -- still supported.
And, nobody in Redmond is fiddling with it -- anymore.

But the choice of OS is mostly determined by the applications one needs to
run. If what they want to do only runs on flavors of Windows then that's
what they should run. The most stable OS in the world is useless if it
doesn't support what someone needs to use. Like it or not the vast majority
of consumer apps out there are windows based, if it was some other OS then
people would criticize that instead.

LASERandDVDfan

You don't have to keep the cd, once installed
copy the WIN98 folder to hard drive, that will take care of any
subsequent "please insert the Windows disk" requests.

Or, better yet.

On a clean hard disk, copy the entire contents of the WIN98 directory off the
Windows 98 SE installation CD over to the hard disk.

First, of course, the hard disk must be totally clean. To be thorough, I start
off with a new FAT32 partition and then format the drive.

The Win98 boot disk will need these two files copied to it, however:

These files are located in C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND on a computer that has Win98 on
it already.

XCOPY32.EXE
XCOPY32.MOD

After the computer has booted up with the installation boot disk and you have
selected to start with CD-ROM support, type in this following line:

A:\XCOPY32 D:\WIN98 C:\WIN98 /E /S

You may receive the prompt about whether to indicate WIN98 as a directory or a
file on drive C:. Choose to create WIN98 as a directory.

Copying will proceed. Wait until the copying process has completed.

When it does, remove the CD, go to the C: drive, and then go to the WIN98
directory.

Type SETUP and the installation will proceed entirely from the hard drive
itself.

Don't forget to remove the floppy when indicated to do so before the computer
is restarted by the installation program.

The benefit to this is that all the files needed to do any update to Windows
will not only be on the hard disk, the Windows registry will be set to
automatically look for the needed files on the hard disk itself, so you won't
be prompted to insert the Windows98 installation CD again or to have to tell
Windows where the files are on the hard disk every time you have to install a
set of Windows drivers.

Just legally covering my butt. I am not liable for copyright infractions and
piracy because of these directions. - Reinhart

SirOliver

First off all am amazed with a number of people that are trying to
answer something that they don't know anything about, please leave the
answers to people that do know how to because nr 1 -- u r are not
helping and nr2 you are making foul out yourself.

To answer your question

It's normal that your cd rom does not function in the safe mode
because safe mode does not load any device drivers and without driver
you can't run or access your cd rom..You could modify your
autoexec.bat and config.sys to load 16-bit DOS driver and than load
your system. Some one gave you a good example on how to do this. If
you don't know what I talk about please take your computer to computer
store and have professionals take look. If you live in Des Moines
check hitech-solutions.com

Am going to finish with my favorite quote:

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion
of knowledge. " -Stephen Hawking

(Sidney) wrote in message . com...
[...]

rstlne

It's normal that your cd rom does not function in the safe mode
because safe mode does not load any device drivers and without driver
you can't run or access your cd rom..You could modify your
autoexec.bat and config.sys to load 16-bit DOS driver and than load
your system. Some one gave you a good example on how to do this. If
you don't know what I talk about please take your computer to computer
store and have professionals take look. If you live in Des Moines
check hitech-solutions.com

Am going to finish with my favorite quote:

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion
of knowledge. " -Stephen Hawking

I am surprised that people are still reading and replying to this..
if he had a win98 CD then he should be able to simply boot/install from the
CD itself.. His stuff might not be current enough to allow it but I would
guess it is.. plus it's no work involved compared to the other stuff listed
just hit the power button, put the cd in, see if it boots from the CD (you
might need to go into the bios and choose the CD first)

Asimov

"SirOliver" bravely wrote to "All" (01 Oct 03 19:05:29)
--- on the heady topic of " "Windows protection error""

Si Am going to finish with my favorite quote:

Si "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion
Si of knowledge. " -Stephen Hawking

All knowledge is illusion... -Me

"If you put a billion monkeys in front of a billion typewriters typing at
random, they would reproduce the entire collected works of USEnet in about ...
five seconds."
-Anon.

Asimov
******

.... Press CTRL ALT PARADIGM SHIFT to login.