DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tropical Fish (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/382397-tropical-fish.html)

Cursitor Doom[_4_] August 1st 15 01:31 PM

Tropical Fish

Does anyone know how tolerant these are to over-voltage? For example,
would one rated at 250V be able to handle 260V - 265V for a minute or so?

thanks.

MJC August 1st 15 05:18 PM

Tropical Fish

In article , says...

Does anyone know how tolerant these are to over-voltage? For example,
would one rated at 250V be able to handle 260V - 265V for a minute or so?

thanks.

Electric eel?

Mike.

John Robertson August 1st 15 05:47 PM

Tropical Fish

On 08/01/2015 9:18 AM, MJC wrote:
In article , says...

Does anyone know how tolerant these are to over-voltage? For example,
would one rated at 250V be able to handle 260V - 265V for a minute or so?

thanks.

Electric eel?

Mike.

All my fish preferred 0V...otherwise it was just a tank full of floaters.

John ;-#)#

www.flippers.com

Cursitor Doom[_4_] August 1st 15 07:34 PM

Tropical Fish

On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 09:47:48 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

On 08/01/2015 9:18 AM, MJC wrote:
In article , says...

Does anyone know how tolerant these are to over-voltage? For example,
would one rated at 250V be able to handle 260V - 265V for a minute or
so?

thanks.

Electric eel?

Mike.

All my fish preferred 0V...otherwise it was just a tank full of
floaters.

John ;-#)#

Oh yes, jolly amusing.
I was of course talking about TF capacitors. I think I may have fried one
accidentally by careless use of a variac. Something on the board I was
testing made a muffled sizzling sound for several seconds and I'm trying
to establish what I damaged. There are no visual signs of damage and I
didn't see any smoke at the time; just heard that noise.

Gareth Magennis August 1st 15 09:11 PM

Tropical Fish

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 09:47:48 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

On 08/01/2015 9:18 AM, MJC wrote:
In article , says...

Does anyone know how tolerant these are to over-voltage? For example,
would one rated at 250V be able to handle 260V - 265V for a minute or
so?

thanks.

Electric eel?

Mike.

All my fish preferred 0V...otherwise it was just a tank full of
floaters.

John ;-#)#

Oh yes, jolly amusing.
I was of course talking about TF capacitors. I think I may have fried one
accidentally by careless use of a variac. Something on the board I was
testing made a muffled sizzling sound for several seconds and I'm trying
to establish what I damaged. There are no visual signs of damage and I
didn't see any smoke at the time; just heard that noise.

I think it unlikely that any component on that board will not be designed to
tolerate 10% above the voltage expected.
The figures you quote are around 6%.

Be wary of jumping to conclusions.
Just because component X dies just as you made a cup of tea does not mean
the cup-of-tea-making caused the failure of said component.

Gareth.

John Robertson August 1st 15 09:13 PM

Tropical Fish

On 08/01/2015 11:34 AM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 09:47:48 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

On 08/01/2015 9:18 AM, MJC wrote:
In article , says...

Does anyone know how tolerant these are to over-voltage? For example,
would one rated at 250V be able to handle 260V - 265V for a minute or
so?

thanks.

Electric eel?

Mike.

All my fish preferred 0V...otherwise it was just a tank full of
floaters.

John ;-#)#

Oh yes, jolly amusing.
I was of course talking about TF capacitors. I think I may have fried one
accidentally by careless use of a variac. Something on the board I was
testing made a muffled sizzling sound for several seconds and I'm trying
to establish what I damaged. There are no visual signs of damage and I
didn't see any smoke at the time; just heard that noise.

Well, not knowing what you were talking about as the thread was long
dead (always best to quote) we had no clue as to what you were talking
about and did have a little fun.

As for your caps - check the absolute maximum voltage rating. If you
exceeded it then chances are the caps need replacing.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

John Robertson August 1st 15 09:21 PM

Tropical Fish

On 08/01/2015 11:34 AM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 09:47:48 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

On 08/01/2015 9:18 AM, MJC wrote:
In article , says...

Does anyone know how tolerant these are to over-voltage? For example,
would one rated at 250V be able to handle 260V - 265V for a minute or
so?

thanks.

Electric eel?

Mike.

All my fish preferred 0V...otherwise it was just a tank full of
floaters.

John ;-#)#

Oh yes, jolly amusing.
I was of course talking about TF capacitors. I think I may have fried one
accidentally by careless use of a variac. Something on the board I was
testing made a muffled sizzling sound for several seconds and I'm trying
to establish what I damaged. There are no visual signs of damage and I
didn't see any smoke at the time; just heard that noise.

Oh, Tropical Fish Capacitors - you know I've seen those in many an old
radio but never heard them called that.

Interesting.

How well it would take any voltage depends on the seal - if any moisture
has leaked in (likely) then the breakdown voltage would drop.

Something that old is probably best replaced with a modern capacitor IMHO.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

Cursitor Doom[_4_] August 1st 15 09:39 PM

Tropical Fish

On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 13:21:55 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

How well it would take any voltage depends on the seal - if any moisture
has leaked in (likely) then the breakdown voltage would drop.

That could be relevant, then. These old TFs had hairline cracks in them
at the sides. I touched one with the tip of a screwdriver and a flake
fell away exposing the edge of the plates and the dilectric.
So yes, they should certainly be replaced and if as you say that crack
would have let moisture in, then 260V might easily have killed it.
Hopefully we have the culprit. :-/

Sjouke Burry[_2_] August 1st 15 10:09 PM

Tropical Fish

On 01.08.15 20:34, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 09:47:48 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

On 08/01/2015 9:18 AM, MJC wrote:
In article , says...

Does anyone know how tolerant these are to over-voltage? For example,
would one rated at 250V be able to handle 260V - 265V for a minute or
so?

thanks.

Electric eel?

Mike.

All my fish preferred 0V...otherwise it was just a tank full of
floaters.

John ;-#)#

Oh yes, jolly amusing.
I was of course talking about TF capacitors. I think I may have fried one
accidentally by careless use of a variac. Something on the board I was
testing made a muffled sizzling sound for several seconds and I'm trying
to establish what I damaged. There are no visual signs of damage and I
didn't see any smoke at the time; just heard that noise.

That was an electrolytic cap, boiling off the liquid inside.

Cursitor Doom[_4_] August 2nd 15 12:44 PM

Tropical Fish

On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 23:09:52 +0200, Sjouke Burry wrote:

That was an electrolytic cap, boiling off the liquid inside.

I like your thinking; sound entirely feasible. I'll check them all out.

Cursitor Doom[_4_] August 2nd 15 03:45 PM

Tropical Fish

On Sun, 02 Aug 2015 11:44:42 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 23:09:52 +0200, Sjouke Burry wrote:

That was an electrolytic cap, boiling off the liquid inside.

I like your thinking; sound entirely feasible. I'll check them all out.

They've all checked out fine. The TFs remain the prime suspects.