Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tropical Fish

Does anyone know how tolerant these are to over-voltage? For example,
would one rated at 250V be able to handle 260V - 265V for a minute or so?

thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 08/01/2015 11:34 AM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 09:47:48 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

On 08/01/2015 9:18 AM, MJC wrote:
In article , says...

Does anyone know how tolerant these are to over-voltage? For example,
would one rated at 250V be able to handle 260V - 265V for a minute or
so?

thanks.

Electric eel?

Mike.

All my fish preferred 0V...otherwise it was just a tank full of
floaters.

John ;-#)#

Oh yes, jolly amusing.
I was of course talking about TF capacitors. I think I may have fried one
accidentally by careless use of a variac. Something on the board I was
testing made a muffled sizzling sound for several seconds and I'm trying
to establish what I damaged. There are no visual signs of damage and I
didn't see any smoke at the time; just heard that noise.

Oh, Tropical Fish Capacitors - you know I've seen those in many an old
radio but never heard them called that.

Interesting.

How well it would take any voltage depends on the seal - if any moisture
has leaked in (likely) then the breakdown voltage would drop.

Something that old is probably best replaced with a modern capacitor IMHO.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 13:21:55 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

How well it would take any voltage depends on the seal - if any moisture
has leaked in (likely) then the breakdown voltage would drop.

That could be relevant, then. These old TFs had hairline cracks in them
at the sides. I touched one with the tip of a screwdriver and a flake
fell away exposing the edge of the plates and the dilectric.
So yes, they should certainly be replaced and if as you say that crack
would have let moisture in, then 260V might easily have killed it.
Hopefully we have the culprit. :-/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 23:09:52 +0200, Sjouke Burry wrote:

That was an electrolytic cap, boiling off the liquid inside.

I like your thinking; sound entirely feasible. I'll check them all out.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 02 Aug 2015 11:44:42 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 23:09:52 +0200, Sjouke Burry wrote:

That was an electrolytic cap, boiling off the liquid inside.

I like your thinking; sound entirely feasible. I'll check them all out.

They've all checked out fine. The TFs remain the prime suspects.