Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Kodak Carousel 860H Projector

Hello, all. After 20+ years of home storage, I finally fired up the
subject slide projector (Kodak's top-of-the-line in its day) which I
purchased new way back when. The projector functioned but I have a
cosmetic problem to solve. The rubber (?) retaining rings that secure
the two wood-grained inserts to the side panels of the projector have
broken in several spots due to dry rot. Anyone have any suggestions?
The parts list for this projector shows only the side panels (which I
presume includes the retainers and inserts). But then there's the
problem of spare parts...Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 14:17:09 -0400, "J.B. Wood"
wrote:

Hello, all. After 20+ years of home storage, I finally fired up the
subject slide projector (Kodak's top-of-the-line in its day) which I
purchased new way back when. The projector functioned but I have a
cosmetic problem to solve. The rubber (?) retaining rings that secure
the two wood-grained inserts to the side panels of the projector have
broken in several spots due to dry rot. Anyone have any suggestions?
The parts list for this projector shows only the side panels (which I
presume includes the retainers and inserts). But then there's the
problem of spare parts...Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,

Don't toss the old parts. Glue or scotch tape the pieces together.
Fill any gaps with some kind of putty. Using the old part as a
pattern, make a two part mold using plaster of paris. Smear the
contact surfaces with vaseline so that you can take it apart. Fill
the mold with your favorite rubber compound (I used hard automotive
RTV) to clone the part. Clean up the flashing with an Xacto knife.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Don't toss the old parts. Glue or scotch tape the pieces together.
Fill any gaps with some kind of putty. Using the old part as a
pattern, make a two part mold using plaster of paris. Smear the
contact surfaces with vaseline so that you can take it apart. Fill
the mold with your favorite rubber compound (I used hard automotive
RTV) to clone the part. Clean up the flashing with an Xacto knife.

Thanks, for the detailed info, Jeff. I wouldn't have guessed how to
make new rubber retainers/bumpers. Folks who restore pinballs and
jukeboxes probably know this stuff. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Don't toss the old parts. Glue or scotch tape the pieces together.
Fill any gaps with some kind of putty. Using the old part as a
pattern, make a two part mold using plaster of paris. Smear the
contact surfaces with vaseline so that you can take it apart. Fill
the mold with your favorite rubber compound (I used hard automotive
RTV) to clone the part. Clean up the flashing with an Xacto knife.

Thanks, for the detailed info, Jeff. I wouldn't have guessed how to
make new rubber retainers/bumpers. Folks who restore pinballs and
jukeboxes probably know this stuff. Sincerely,

Also check with antique auto restorers. It's not very difficult. I've
done it many times with good success. There are plenty of
instructions available on the web. For example:
https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+mold+rubber+parts
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mold+rubber+parts
https://sugru.com
http://versimold.com
http://www.freemansupply.com/video.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD-NP0DwLEE
http://tag.wonderhowto.com/cast-rubber-parts/
and so on. Plenty more including kits and presses. If you need
something flexible, definitely look into Sugru.

Incidentally, plaster of paris and FixAll molds are my favorites, but
you can also make formed molds from just about anything than hardens,
such as silicon rubber. You can also machine or gouge a mold from
wood, metal, plastic, whatever.

Good luck.