Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Measuring audio amp output power

On 8/2/2015 7:49 AM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 18:29:58 -0700, Phil Allison wrote:

** A single sine wave is needed for audio power testing.

Amplifier power ratings are based on the *rms* value of a sine wave -
hence the misleading term "rms power".

Well that would make sense with RMS being, IIRC, equivalent to the DC
heating effect in a resistive load.

RMS is an amplitude, e.g. 'volts RMS'. Phil's right that the term is in
error, but there's so many lies and so much snake oil in the audio
business that this minor absurdity seems a fairly small price to pay to
clear away all the "peak intermittent music power" (PIMP) nonsense.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 02 Aug 2015 09:04:54 -0400, Phil Hobbs wrote:

RMS is an amplitude, e.g. 'volts RMS'.

Yes, I recall 0.707 of the peak signal level. So for example if I set an
amp to some arbitrary output and feed into an 8 ohm load and measure say
10V peak-to-peak on a scope, then I'm getting about 6.25W RMS out.

Phil's right that the term is in
error, but there's so many lies and so much snake oil in the audio
business that this minor absurdity seems a fairly small price to pay to
clear away all the "peak intermittent music power" (PIMP) nonsense.

Fully agree with you on that!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 02 Aug 2015 13:29:38 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Sun, 02 Aug 2015 09:04:54 -0400, Phil Hobbs wrote:

RMS is an amplitude, e.g. 'volts RMS'.

Yes, I recall 0.707 of the peak signal level. So for example if I set an
amp to some arbitrary output and feed into an 8 ohm load and measure say
10V peak-to-peak on a scope, then I'm getting about 6.25W RMS out.

Phil's right that the term is in
error, but there's so many lies and so much snake oil in the audio
business that this minor absurdity seems a fairly small price to pay to
clear away all the "peak intermittent music power" (PIMP) nonsense.

Fully agree with you on that!

Should have put the 6.25W RMS in inverted commas, since there's no such
thing as RMS power, of course. It's really all about *average* power.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cursitor Doom wrote:

RMS is an amplitude, e.g. 'volts RMS'.

Yes, I recall 0.707 of the peak signal level. So for example if I set an
amp to some arbitrary output and feed into an 8 ohm load and measure say
10V peak-to-peak on a scope, then I'm getting about 6.25W RMS out.

** The "peak" value is referenced to the zero line, so there are negative and positive ones. The "peak to peak" value has no polarity and is easier to read off a scope screen but to get the rms value of a sine wave one divides by 2.83 ( 2 x sq.rt 2)

So in your example, that value is 3.54Vrms and the power is 1.56 watts.

..... Phil