Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Keyboards/Electric Pianos

What do you do about those rubber things ? The ones under the keys on the touch responsive ones. Are they interchangable to some extent ?

And where to get them. Looking around it seems like these companies don't want to sell parts. Got a Roland up right now that only has ONE KEY not working. That is a kinda decent one. Also have a Casio with about a half dozen not working. That one is not as good I would assume but that part should not really cost all that much.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

What do you do about those rubber things ? The ones under the keys on the
touch responsive ones. Are they interchangable to some extent ?

And where to get them. Looking around it seems like these companies don't
want to sell parts. Got a Roland up right now that only has ONE KEY not
working. That is a kinda decent one. Also have a Casio with about a half
dozen not working. That one is not as good I would assume but that part
should not really cost all that much.

By and large they are NOT interchangeable at all. Every manufacturer
pretty much uses a different design.

Occasionally you will get keyboards that share the same keyframe - Korg and
Yamaha used to do this years ago with the DX7 and M1 for example. (though
these do not use rubber contacts)
And some more contemporary Nords use the same Fatar keyframe that some
Rolands do, that DO use the rubber contacts.

But mostly, these rubber contacts are unique and a bit of a nightmare and
can only be bought from the manufacturer.

Don't bother trying to repair them with the various paint kits you might
find online, they are expensive and useless.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"By and large they are NOT interchangeable at all. Every manufacturer
pretty much uses a different design. "

Found one for a slightly different model :

https://syntaur.com/Items/4822.html

Problem is I need the 13 section one and this is the 12. they are out of stock on the 13. But I was about to cut the original anyway and move the bad one all the way to the end. I could just use any of the good ones for the end. Once back into it I will look and see if this is possible, like they don't have locating bosses or anything that would stop it or require more modification.

"All duff but one suggests an interconnect problem or some non-membrane

problem. "

While I agree somewhat, I think that ONE of them has to go first. It probagly depends on how the guy plays. However I do intend to confirm this as the problem before proceeding. I am going to have to figure out a non-destructive way to hit that key using a different pad. In this particulat design that looks doable.

"For after-touch ? If there is an answer, it's very likely that

someone on one of those mailing lists has it : "

I have not had alot of luck with that site. Funky search engine for one, well not so much that but how it returns the results. Sorted by date. I didn't see any options other than to exclude dates.

"My experience (though not recent) is that Roland are good about spare

parts. I wouldn't even both calling Casio however. "

I couldn't find anything about parts at Roland's site at all, and no phone number either.

Ironically, I think the shop might be an ASC or at least authorized dealer for Casio.

___

What gets me is these things are not made by music companies. It takes the rigth materials and the equipment to handle them. How many times are they going to retool because some manufacturer has a bug up their ass and wants proprietary parts ? they have to make a mold. It ain't a circuit board where you can changee it for the sake of change every 8715 serial numbers like they do on TVs. That does not require retooling or anytihng, just the installation of different jumpers, software and maybe a few parts.

This is different. I realize all the brands will be different except what I was just told about a few exceptions, but it seems like within so many years, for the same brand, something like this should be the same.

I dunno, I'll get back into it in a few days and figure some more out.

Thanks all.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"In my experience, it's hard work to find anything in the
retrosynth.com archives, even when you already know it's there.
Don't focus on the archives, subscribe to the lists and ask. "

Yet another subscription. Ugh. I might do it anyway. Do I need to make a new email for it ? (because of spam)

Although I do have an idea. Ever use the search function in IE ? Could use very general search terms and let it give ne a kagillion answers and then use the browser's search function to search through that.

And if I do end up joining, what did you mean not to post through "nibbles" or whatever ? Do they frown on that like some here do on gmailers ?

I might do that, but I think for $11 it might be worth the risk to just get the one I found. On a full size keyboard, the keys are always the same space apart. They would have had to go to great lengths to make them ALL not fit each other.

Of course this will not be the last time on things like this. So I do need to expaand my rsources. thanks for the link whether I ever really join or not. I might just learn how to search it. If I do I'll let you know.

Why do blogs do that ? Sort by date but no tree. And no options. Well maybe that is all they could do. I dunno. It is more than I could do, I am a NON-programmin' mofo. And, if they accept money who knows what you can do then.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2015-07-22, wrote:
"In my experience, it's hard work to find anything in the
retrosynth.com archives, even when you already know it's there.
Don't focus on the archives, subscribe to the lists and ask. "

Yet another subscription. Ugh.

I'd ask the question for you but the email account I use for
these is on the blink ATM. Sorry.

I might do it anyway. Do I need to make a new email for it ?
(because of spam)

Probably. The list admins are not spammers but if you post, your
address WILL end up in some spammers' list. Either lifted off
some web archive which doesn't obfuscate email addresses or
simply because some other subscriber's computer has been hacked.

Although I do have an idea. Ever use the search function in IE
? Could use very general search terms and let it give ne a
kagillion answers and then use the browser's search function
to search through that.

Yes. Nice to be able to download everything and search locally.

And if I do end up joining, what did you mean not to post
through "nibbles" or whatever ? Do they frown on that like
some here do on gmailers ?

I think nabble.com has a web interface that you can use to post
to the lists it archives. Apparently, it makes a mess of
threads. As if we didn't get enough of that already with buggy,
misconfigured or misused mailers.

Also, posting HTML to synth-diy won't work (thankfully).

I might do that, but I think for $11 it might be worth the
risk to just get the one I found. On a full size keyboard, the
keys are always the same space apart. They would have had to
go to great lengths to make them ALL not fit each other.

Of course this will not be the last time on things like this.
So I do need to expaand my rsources. thanks for the link
whether I ever really join or not. I might just learn how to
search it. If I do I'll let you know.

If you're feeling brave, you can try Bob Weigel's site
http://sounddoctorin.com/. It's a mess but he has some keyboard
parts for sale and synth servicing information.

Good luck.

Why do blogs do that ? Sort by date but no tree. And no
options. Well maybe that is all they could do. I dunno. It is
more than I could do, I am a NON-programmin' mofo. And, if
they accept money who knows what you can do then.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his
salary depends upon his not understanding it. -- Upton Sinclair
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

"By and large they are NOT interchangeable at all. Every manufacturer

pretty much uses a different design. "

Found one for a slightly different model :

https://syntaur.com/Items/4822.html

Problem is I need the 13 section one and this is the 12. they are out of
stock on the 13. But I was about to cut the original anyway and move the bad
one all the way to the end. I could just use any of the good ones for the
end. Once back into it I will look and see if this is possible, like they
don't have locating bosses or anything that would stop it or require more
modification.

Also the problem is that you will find just about all of them are for a
slightly different model.

Beats me how Syntaur can offer a random strip for sale without even saying
what they can actually be used on.
It's a bit like selling a "4 cylinder head gasket".

Whilst you're in there, you really should swap the most worn strips with the
least worn ones.
Sometimes a failed note is a combination of worn contact strip AND worn
contact PCB.
(a different contact strip also may have worn in a slightly different place)

Gareth.