Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CRC ELECTRONICS CLEANER

DOES CRC leave a residue causing problems with soldering the cleaned area ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 12:32:42 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 04:36:20 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

DOES CRC leave a residue causing problems with soldering the cleaned area ?

CRC Industries is a company, not a product.
http://crcindustries.com/auto/
Kindly supply the name or number of the CRC automotive solvent that
you're using to clean up your soldering. Then check the MSDS listing
for any oils or additives that might consititute a residue.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

The ELECTRONICS CLEANER's msds lists no silicone or...but yes there is a naptha of unknown character.

CRC prob has the ground covered for soldering but jus' wondering you know.

I'm using this CRC for lubing lugnut studs when changing tires. The solder is on a relay board for aux PITA in my E250.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

THE PRODUCT IS

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcs...3_pri_larg.jpg

contains a naptha. I conclude the naptha burns off with flux.

However, as with JIFFY LUBE, cleaned surfaces do not develop colors over time expect to darken the surface.

The spray is toxic in a closed area.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

THE PRODUCT IS

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcs...3_pri_larg.jpg

** CRC QD appears to be a new product, going by the date on the MSDS sheet.

The can contains naptha and a propellant and not much else - naptha is a strong hydrocarbon solvent, once used as dry cleaning fluid.

I would expect the surface to be left very clean after use while both the naptha and propellant evaporate fast.

The stuff is however highly flammable, even explosive so no smoking while using it!

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 17:45:00 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

THE PRODUCT IS
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcs...3_pri_larg.jpg
contains a naptha. I conclude the naptha burns off with flux.

Naphtha does not oxidize (burn) off anything. It dissolves and then
evaporates. If you're lucky, it takes the diluted flux with it. If
not, it leaves a residue of evenly distributed flux, in a very thin
layer. Of course, if you wipe or blot it off, the flux goes with the
solvent.

http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/msds/5101.pdf
Looks like a mix of naphtha, difluoroethane, hexane, dimethylbutane,
methylpentane. All of these ingredients evaporate. At the bottom of
section 9, it proclaims:
Percent volatile: 100% estimated
which means that the cleaner leaves no residue. However, that does
not mean that dissolving an unspecified type and amount of solder flux
with the cleaner also does not leave a residue. For example, water
soluble fluxes do not easily dissolve in organic solvents and do
better with hot water as a flux cleaner. Other types of fluxes (i.e.
no-clean flux) are made to be left in place on the PCB.

I guess you'll just have to test the cleaner. Take a sheet of clean
window glass. Lay it horizontally flat. Spray some of the CRC
Electronic Cleaner on the glass. Allow it to evaporate. If not, blot
it dry but don't rub. Is there anything left on the glass? Repeat
with anything claiming to be both a cleaner and lubricant and you
should see an oily residue.

Incidentally, I use the stuff for cleaning automotive connectors.
Works quite nicely.

However, as with JIFFY LUBE, cleaned surfaces do not develop colors over time expect to darken the surface.

By colors, I assume you mean oxidation of the copper PCB traces. Yes,
cleaning off any protective coating of flux or goo will expose to
copper to atmospheric attack.

The spray is toxic in a closed area.

So am I.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 19:56:45 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison
wrote:

** CRC QD appears to be a new product, going by the date on the MSDS sheet.

I've been using it for at least 10 years, so it's not a new product.
However, there may have been changes in formulation, or MSDS reporting
requirements.

The stuff is however highly flammable, even explosive so no smoking while using it!

I was using it to clean connectors under the hood of my truck. The
engine was still warm. I managed to spray some on the engine, but saw
no flames or smoke. The flash point of naphatha is 225C. I've
measured 250C exhaust manifold temperature on my former truck, so I
guess it's possible to create an explosion. This engine went to 425C
and would certainly ignite the fumes:
http://joyreactor.com/post/1548773

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

GLASS ! always enjoyed Glass....and Glassman.

I use EC as a general contact cleaner...if not then thinner then EC. EC replaced CHOH except for tanking parts.

I missed the 'percent volatile'

I set the van's 5.4 right bank on fire testing with 1948 methods n not reading the manual.

There's an AP halon extinguisher just inside the cargo door.....

the loom's wire wrap didnah suffer damages.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/msds/5101.pdf

Looks like a mix of naphtha, difluoroethane, hexane, dimethylbutane,
methylpentane.

** Naptha (70-80%) is similar to petrol and is the main solvent, as used in products like WD40.

Difluoroethene (20-30%) is the propellant, a gas at room temp it is also used alone cans of "air duster".

The last two are in very small amounts, so likely just common contaminants of the others.

..... Phil