Jason D.

Default IBM 8513-001 monitor blurry

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:38:17 GMT, "G. Skiffington"
wrote:

Hello all.....This color VGA monitor has been blurry for a the couple of
years I've owned it (used), and I've only made a slight improvement by
slight adjustment of the HV control and external brightness and contrast
pots. There is lots of brightness and good control of both it and the
range of contrast. Searching the web found slight reference to a
possible defect from new (other vague reference is to maybe it being a
bleeder resistor). Does anyone here know if there's a common problem to
this monitor with respect to this problem? Any specific info
appreciated - Thanks.

IBM TYPE is 8513-001
Monitor p/n 59X6293
FRU p/n (?) 68x3088

Gord

Wow!! 8513 still alive? Replace flyback transformer, focus section
in that flyback transformer fails frequently, I did two before, IBM
had recall on those but that recall period was long time since over.
Cost? not that expensive actually for that fly from decent electronics
suppliers, so many out there back then. Remember to discharge HV on
that tube to dag ground strap before replacing that flyback.

Cons:
Only 12" CRT, the true viewable size is much smaller (like 10" because
this doesn't "scan to the edges", extremely tiny, can only 640x480 at
one freq 60Hz, compareable decent monitor was 14" or larger in that
era couple years after this 8513 and had 800x600 72Hz. The main
problem is the components is very old and really aged from all that
heat & stress, replacing flyback is not only one to fix, you have to
account for the CRT aging, electronics aging etc. User control is
only contrast & brightness, that it. Decent monitors has more
controls for user to adjust externally.

PS: better to ditch if you can do that. This that little beauty is
from 1988-1990 (introduced around 1987 to go with IBM PS/2 series)
era. Low end like Samsung 17" S or V series is plenty enough and can
be had for 100 or so. 1024 x 768 75 or 85Hz on very sharp tube and
still can sync to any lesser resolutions including 8513 specs. Even
cheaper to get 15" samsung monitor if you can get your hands on one.
If you are willing to spluge bit more, Samsung 753MB, very nice
monitor flat CRT .20mm dot pitch, all Samsung monitors has 3 yr
warrenty.

Cheers,

Wizard
Volk

wrote:

Hello all.....This color VGA monitor has been blurry for a the couple of
years I've owned it (used), and I've only made a slight improvement by
slight adjustment of the HV control and external brightness and contrast
pots. There is lots of brightness and good control of both it and the
range of contrast. Searching the web found slight reference to a
possible defect from new (other vague reference is to maybe it being a
bleeder resistor). Does anyone here know if there's a common problem to
this monitor with respect to this problem? Any specific info
appreciated - Thanks.

IBM TYPE is 8513-001
Monitor p/n 59X6293
FRU p/n (?) 68x3088

Gord

Wow!! 8513 still alive?

I have a 8511 you can have FREE... you pay shipping.
It still works fine... I got it new.