@(none)

Default Samsung TXN1634F picture tilt

I have a brand new 16" Samsung TXN1634F color
TV with a somewhat tilted picture. Nearest Samsung
warranty shop is 60 miles away. Is this adjustable
via a service mode? Or is it going to involve going
into the cabinet and mechanically moving the yoke?

Does anyone else have experience with this set? I
could trade it back to the retail store if I drive
a little farther than the service shop.

TIA
Don

Arthur Jernberg

May require rotating the deflection yoke a bit. However doing this may upset
the convergence and purity. If you are a trained technician have a go at it,
otherwise take it the 60 miles to the service facility. Any tele repair
facility should be capable of adjusting it but getting compensated from
Samsung for warranty repairs may be difficult. .
"@(none)" ""campbell\"@(none)" wrote in message
I have a brand new 16" Samsung TXN1634F color
TV with a somewhat tilted picture. Nearest Samsung
warranty shop is 60 miles away. Is this adjustable
via a service mode? Or is it going to involve going
into the cabinet and mechanically moving the yoke?

Does anyone else have experience with this set? I
could trade it back to the retail store if I drive
a little farther than the service shop.

TIA
Don

David

A 16" is too small to have any kind of tilt correction for the earth's
magnetic field.

Even if the shop 60 miles away did check the adjustment, which probably is
within specification, any direction you face the tv set is going to cause
tilt one way or the other.

Just exactly how much tilt are you seeing? A 27" size tv can have as much
as 1/2" across the width of the screen in the middle and still be within
what the earth's magnetic field could be causing.

If you face the tv set either directly east or west does the tilt seem to go
away? If so it is probably adjusted properly.

David

@(none)

David wrote:
A 16" is too small to have any kind of tilt correction for the earth's
magnetic field.

Who said that the earth's field is doing this? This is more like an
adjustment of trapazoidal distortion on a monitor. I have many and I
have them adjusted quite nicely. The picture on this TV is out of whack.
Tilted so blatantly is just plain bent.

Even if the shop 60 miles away did check the adjustment, which probably is
within specification, any direction you face the tv set is going to cause
tilt one way or the other.

Sounds like you're making the assumption that I'm too picky. Thank you
so much for your 'objective' opinion, in spite of having not seen
the picture. I think you're wrong, but you've done me a favor.
You've convinced me that I should just make the trip to
the retail store and trade them since I think most techs probably
have your level of contempt for the customer. I don't need someone
who can't see and doesn't care doing an adjustment that they'll
probably screw up.

Just exactly how much tilt are you seeing? A 27" size tv can have as much
as 1/2" across the width of the screen in the middle and still be within
what the earth's magnetic field could be causing.

My 13 year old Sony 27 inch TV has none of that tilt. It's picture is
nicely aligned and has been since it was purchased.

If you face the tv set either directly east or west does the tilt seem to go
away? If so it is probably adjusted properly.

Nice of you to ask after assuming that I've tried nothing and have
simply been overly critical. No, the tilt is quite obvious regardless
of orientation of the set. The defect is marked and quite annoying:
text running across the bottom of the screen on several channels is
shaved badly at one side. Parallel lines across the top and bottom
are markedly askew. $60 TV's at Walmart perform better. If that's
within specs, the specs are bogus.

Thanks so much for your helpful input.

David

@(none)

Arthur Jernberg wrote:
May require rotating the deflection yoke a bit. However doing this may upset
the convergence and purity. If you are a trained technician have a go at it,
otherwise take it the 60 miles to the service facility. Any tele repair
facility should be capable of adjusting it but getting compensated from
Samsung for warranty repairs may be difficult. .

Samsung said to have it adjusted. I have decided to simply
trade it in for another set. I think this level of defect
is probably unusual. The test "dots" near the midpoint
on the left and the right are clearly not aligned. I think
someone was asleep on the assembly line for this puppy.

"@(none)" ""campbell\"@(none)" wrote in message

I have a brand new 16" Samsung TXN1634F color
TV with a somewhat tilted picture. Nearest Samsung
warranty shop is 60 miles away. Is this adjustable
via a service mode? Or is it going to involve going
into the cabinet and mechanically moving the yoke?

Does anyone else have experience with this set? I
could trade it back to the retail store if I drive
a little farther than the service shop.

TIA
Don

David

Then next time you post for suggestions, post some important relavent
information.

"Somewhat tilted" has a very large interpretation of what that means. That
is why I tried to give you the information of what is 'normal' and can be
due to the earth's magnetic field on a 27" size set so you could compare how
much it was off and how to see if it move into the correct position.
Samsung is well known for very wide variances in tolerance due to the cheap
design and often uses bonded yokes to the picture tubes making no
adjustment possible.

David wrote:
[...]

@(none)

David,

Thanks for taking time to write back.

At the top of the screen, a line that is ~1.0 cm from the top edge at
the left side of the screen is ~2 cm from the top edge of the screen
at the right.

Text scrolling by at the bottom of the screen is about 7mm above the
bottom edge at the left and dips below at the right. My kids are grown.
I no longer find a protractor around the house to measure angles. The
effect is pronounced and annoying.

BTW, David, if you re-read my original question, you will see that the
degree of tilt was not so very relevant to my actual, specific question.
I was asking if there is a service mode control, accessible from the
remote, that would permit me to adjust said tilt. I never got a clear
answer from someone who knew one way or the other. Do you know?

Thanks again for all the effort you put forth to help me find the
answer to my question.

Don

David wrote:

[...]

David

There is not service mode adjustment for tilt correction on that set.
Usually the tv sets/monitors that have tilt correction coil and circuit
include either an adjustment control on the back of the set or in the user
menu. They also usually do not have a pincushion, trapezoid, or other fine
adjustments unless it is a 27" or larger and then not the elcheapo sets.
The service mode on that model includes the mininal h-size, vertical size,
and vertical centering and linearity. There is an H-position for the image
as well.

The 1cm-2cm at the top is within tolerance for that size of set. If the
total shift was 2cm across the top or bottom, it would just be outside of
tolerance for that size.
The 7mm at the bottom is not. The adjustments of that type on a small set
like that are typically done by physically adjusting the yoke position,
which also requires a full purity, convergence, and geometry adjustment. It
is part science and part art to do this as judgements usually need made to
average out the errors that will be there.

If the store will allow, your best bet is to take the tv back and ask them
to open up any new one you will be taking home so you can bring up some
quality images. Hopefully they will have cable you can hook the tv up with,
or borrow a test signal generator (or ask them to put one on it if they have
in house service). This will allow you to check the performance of the set
before you get it home.

It almost sounds like the tv set wound up with a defective yoke to be off
that much. I do not think if the yoke had shifted enough to cause that much
geometry problem that you would not also see a convergence problem or purity
problem in the corners.

David

David wrote:

[...]

@(none)

Default Thanks David (was Samsung 1634 tilt..)

David,

Thanks for the added detail. Those of us who have only purchased TVs at
decade-plus intervals can only guess at what controls might be available
for tweaking which is why I asked in the first place.

The picture also distorts badly depending on blocks of bright or dark in
the scene. The effect for viewing the cable news channels which favor
such screens is quite disconcerting when several rectangles of
different colors are displayed: vertical lines go all wobbly. That leads
me to think that there are issues that are not simply geometry setup
that make me dislike this set in spite of some cute features (notably
the ability to fine-tune each channel to optimize the picture). Since
Circuit City has a 30-day return policy I'm just going to turn it back
and look more carefully at different brands.

Question: calling on your expertise once again, have you a suggestion
for a smallish color TV (20" or less) with a better picture?

David wrote:

[...]

David

Many, not all, 20" and smaller tv sets are designed strictly for price, the
quality and performance has many corners cut.

The Sony 20" WEGA is fairly well designed (for a tv set), there are some QC
production issues with convergence, geometry, etc and you should have
several pictures on it before taking it home. Most are very good, but once
in a while they get one that just does not look very good.

Panasonic also makes some sets with decent hv regulation (poor HV regulation
and power supply regulation are causing you image distortions on big
contrast differences). These also have some corners cut, but overall are
good for the dollar.

Toshiba no longer makes the 20" and smaller mass market store tv sets, many
we have seen are 100% Samsung inside. They use to have a really good tv set
across the board.

Even between manufactures these days, there is a wide variance in quality.
The analog tv sets are simply being designed to sell cheap, very little
attention to detail.

I like Hitachi hands down from a service standpoint. They are very servicer
and independent servicer friendly. They freely post online service manuals
for all servicers. I have to recommend any user getting into any service
menu without knowing exactly what each adjustment does and how each
adjustment interacts with other adjustments. Finding a Hitachi made small
tv set however is increasingly difficult. Pretty much everything 27" and
smaller they are now outsourcing. I am not even sure they are still
marketing smaller tv sets.

27" and smaller analog tv sets for the most part have become disposable
appliances in the market. Find several with the features you like and
LONGEST LABOR warranty as well as parts warranty. Some have only 30 days
labor and 90 days parts, most have 90 days labor, 1 year parts. 90 days
simply is not really long enough. At a minimum use your credit card that
doubles the manufactures warranty terms.

BTW I recently had to buy a new tv set. Our only tv set failed and I had no
time to get into it for over a month, a 1990 Hitachi tv 27" tv set. For a
second tv set in areas of picture quality, the best I could find for under
$200 was a 24" APEX. I know the quality of parts may not be the best and I
might have to fix it. The geometry, convergence, hv and power supply
regulation on bright/dark scene changes were as good/better than any other
tv set in the under $200 range. The long term reliability and quality
ratings are still out on these Chinese make piles of tv sets. I would not
recommend one without clarifying that it is a gamble.

David

David wrote:

[...]

@(none)

David,

Thanks for all the time it took to write that detail.

Living in a small, rural town makes local buying choices limited. I'll
be driving ~200 mi round trip to return the Samsung.

Any thoughts on Sanyo? They have some kind of warranty deal worked out
with WallyWorld that no other manufacturer does: longer exchange and
labor warranies and service through the store. Living far from the
big city makes that start looking more attractive considering the
Samsung experience.

Don

[snip]

David

You can do a Google Groups search for Sanyo tv here and get all kinds of
different responses. For a cheaper tv set they are just that. In the past
they have been pretty average for tv sets. The longer warranty and special
Wally World arrangements seems to move a lot of the Sanyo brand tv sets.

You might be just as well off simply checking with several major
manufactures and find out which ones have authorized servicers close to you.

Samsung and many cheap brands tend not to have servicers all over as they
pay much less on warranty repairs and only larger areas that are guaranteed
to see enough of them will take them on.

@(none) ""campbell\"@(none)" wrote in message
David,

Thanks for all the time it took to write that detail.

Living in a small, rural town makes local buying choices limited. I'll
be driving ~200 mi round trip to return the Samsung.

Any thoughts on Sanyo? They have some kind of warranty deal worked out
with WallyWorld that no other manufacturer does: longer exchange and
labor warranies and service through the store. Living far from the
big city makes that start looking more attractive considering the
Samsung experience.

Don

[snip]

TV Fixer1

Sharp has usually been a good, inexpensive set, with lots of quality
engineering (in the past). They make nearly everything in their sets
themselves.