Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Direction of an AC motor revisited

Just wanted to get back to the group about this AC motor that was running in reverse after being disassembled and then put back together. It turns out that reversing the brushes did indeed reverse the direction of the motor. We can't argue with success, but I still don't fully understand why this is so. Can anyone please explain this to me? Thanks, Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 5:14:57 AM UTC-4, Wolfgang Allinger wrote:

Hope my Ginglisch is understandable

The sad thing Wolfgang is that your post was far better than some from people whose native language is *supposed* to be English...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Just wanted to get back to the group about this
AC motor that was running in reverse after being
disassembled and then put back together. It turns
out that reversing the brushes did indeed reverse
the direction of the motor. We can't argue with
success, but I still don't fully understand why
this is so. Can anyone please explain this to me?

** A regular DC motor is surrounded by a *permanent magne*t - right?

If you reverse the external connections to the rotor, it spins the other way cos the relationship between the fixed and moving magnetic fields is reversed.

With your " AC/DC" motor, the fixed field is provided by the same current that drives the rotor. When fed by an AC or DC supply, the fixed and rotor fields always *change polarity at the same time* so the rotation direction remains the same.

You have to go inside and reverse the connection to the field or rotor to effect a change.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 12:19:59 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Just wanted to get back to the group about this AC motor that was running in reverse after being disassembled and then put back together. It turns out that reversing the brushes did indeed reverse the direction of the motor.. We can't argue with success, but I still don't fully understand why this is so. Can anyone please explain this to me? Thanks, Lenny

Thanks everyone for the great explanations. It makes more sense now. The original owner of this thing apparently tried to replace the brushes himself. I can only surmise that he didn't realize that the bakelite brush holders were held into the housing with small set screws. So he did what any idiot would do. He used a "bigger hammer". Some people should never pick up a tool. It looks like he tried to pry the holders out without releasing the screws and cracked them into many pieces.

The field is connected to the brush holders with push on connectors. That's a good thing too because to get it out he must have ripped it loose from the remnants of the brush holders. Luckily the field wasn't damaged.

At this point he apparently gave up and gave the tool to my son who has been working on it since. So in dis assembly the correct orientation of the field then become unknown, and after replacing the brushes and holders we evidently switched the brush positions.

So he now has the direction problem resolved but the new brushes arc really bad. Perhaps the old ones did too and maybe that's why Mr Wizard tried to replace them in the first place but we don't know.

The commutator does not appear to have worn down much during it's lifetime. A growler test shows no shorted windings to ground, The areas between some of the the segments however appear to be a little ragged and opened a bit from the arcing, no doubt. A dial indicator on the commutator shows an out of round condition totaling 1.5 thousandth's, on each side for a total of three thousandth's for the entire piece. According to a machinist we consulted this doesn't seem like enough to warrant turning the commutator, but I've been considering something else. With this motor spinning at 9000 RPM would a 1.5 thousandth's out of round condition be enough to "bounce" the brushes and make them arc? Brushes and holders are new and each brush is mounted stationary, and it's relationship to the position on the commutator cannot be altered. I can't figure out what else could be causing this? Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Common (non-solid state/brushless) motors:

* Series DC motor, shunt DC motor, universal AC DC motor: Direction
determined by relative wiring of stator and brushes.

* Permanent magnet motor: Direction determined by polarity of DC (or
PWM etc.) input.

* 3 phase AC induction motor: Direction determined by phase relationship
of 3 connections. Swap any two pairs to reverse motor.

* Single phase AC induction motor: Direction determine by relative phase
of run and start windings during starting. Start winding only used
during starting, cut off by centrifugal switch, starting relay, or
other starting device. Main winding conencted directly to mains; start
winding through capacitor or has different inductance/resistance to
provide phase shift.

* Split phase AC induction motor: Direction determined by relative phase
of two windings. Main winding conencted directly to mains; phase
winding through capacitor or has different inductance/resistance to
provide phase shift. Both windings powered when running.

There are many variations.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

(Wolfgang Allinger) writes:

On 18 Jun 15 at group /sci/electronics/repair in article

wrote:

Just wanted to get back to the group about this AC motor that was
running in reverse after being disassembled and then put back
together. It turns out that reversing the brushes did indeed reverse
the direction of the motor. We can't argue with success, but I still
don't fully understand why this is so. Can anyone please explain this
to me? Thanks, Lenny

Take a DC Motor. The brushes are directly connected to the + -
connector. The permanent field is fixed. If you inverse the Batterie,
the rotor will run in the other direction.

So do the AC Motor. However the brushes and the field is connected to
the mains connector, so changing the mains connector will also change
the field, therefor no change between field and rotor.

But you managed reversing by changing the internal brush connection. So
the rotor is now to the opposite of the field direction.

Hope my Ginglisch is understandable

Saludos (an alle Vernünftigen, Rest sh. sig)
Wolfgang

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Samuel M. Goldwasser" wrote in message
Common (non-solid state/brushless) motors:

* Series DC motor, shunt DC motor, universal AC DC motor: Direction
determined by relative wiring of stator and brushes.

* Permanent magnet motor: Direction determined by polarity of DC (or
PWM etc.) input.

* 3 phase AC induction motor: Direction determined by phase relationship
of 3 connections. Swap any two pairs to reverse motor.

One more thing to add to this that hapened where I worked. I don't recall
the type of motor, but it was around 100 HP and had 4 sets of brushes and
was driven by a varitable speed drive. Two people changed the brushes and
said they did not touch the wires. It ran backwards. Several others looked
at it and could not determin why it was running backwards. I went up and
asked a few questions. I solved the problem for them. They had loosened
the plate that holds the brushes and rotated it some to make it easier to
replace the brushes. When they rotated it back, they had put it in the
wrong place. By rotating it back to the correct position it ran the correct
way.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 12:19:59 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Just wanted to get back to the group about this AC motor that was running in reverse after being disassembled and then put back together. It turns out that reversing the brushes did indeed reverse the direction of the motor.. We can't argue with success, but I still don't fully understand why this is so. Can anyone please explain this to me? Thanks, Lenny

I'm just curious, when this plate was moved did all the brushes rotate the same amount, or perhaps just two? Because if you think about that if they all moved the same as a group it doesn't make any sense. Lenny

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

[...]

The "ragged" wear and arcing would indicate open circuits in the armature
windings. Put it back on the growler and drag a hacksaw blade across the gap
in each slot. There should be an arc en you do that, if not most likely that
winding is open.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The "ragged" wear and arcing would indicate open circuits in the armature
windings. Put it back on the growler and drag a hacksaw blade across the gap
in each slot. There should be an arc en you do that, if not most likely that
winding is open.

Also I forgot to mention you have to rotate the armature after testing each
slot.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 12:19:59 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Just wanted to get back to the group about this AC motor that was running in reverse after being disassembled and then put back together. It turns out that reversing the brushes did indeed reverse the direction of the motor.. We can't argue with success, but I still don't fully understand why this is so. Can anyone please explain this to me? Thanks, Lenny

I don't have access to the growler any more but can't I use my Simpson? I'm thinking that I should have continuity between each of two segments 180 degrees apart. Is that correct? Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 12:19:59 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Just wanted to get back to the group about this AC motor that was running
in reverse after being disassembled and then put back together. It turns
out that reversing the brushes did indeed reverse the direction of the
motor. We can't argue with success, but I still don't fully understand why
this is so. Can anyone please explain this to me? Thanks, Lenny

I don't have access to the growler any more but can't I use my Simpson? I'm
thinking that I should have continuity between each of two segments 180
degrees apart. Is that correct? Lenny

Sure, use the Simpson on low ohms, once you have located a winding's bars go
around and check each winding. Start with a winding with clean bar edges and
then move up to the burnt ones. If you find an open or hi resistance check
the crimp or soldering at those bars.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 12:19:59 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Just wanted to get back to the group about this AC motor that was running in reverse after being disassembled and then put back together. It turns out that reversing the brushes did indeed reverse the direction of the motor.. We can't argue with success, but I still don't fully understand why this is so. Can anyone please explain this to me? Thanks, Lenny

There was a term commonly used years ago which I haven't heard for a long time. Many commutators would fail because they "threw solder". The point on the commutator that was soldered to the individual rotor winding had heated, melted the solder, and "threw" it out of the connection, leaving that winding either open or intermittent at best. The connections on this commutator, (and in fact others I've worked on over the past few years) are (and have been) clean and look like they were crimped. Is soldering to commutator segments no longer done? Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

[...]

I think they are all crimped these days, I am no longer active in that
field.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If anyone could please comment on my "bounce" question below from an earlier post in this thread I would be very grateful. Lenny

The commutator does not appear to have worn down much during it's lifetime. A growler test shows no shorted windings to ground, The areas between some of the the segments however appear to be a little ragged and opened a bit from the arcing, no doubt. A dial indicator on the commutator shows an out of round condition totaling 1.5 thousandth's, on each side for a total of three thousandth's for the entire piece. According to a machinist we consulted this doesn't seem like enough to warrant turning the commutator, but I've been considering something else. With this motor spinning at 9000 RPM would a 1.5 thousandth's out of round condition be enough to "bounce" the brushes and make them arc? Brushes are now trued to the commutator, holders are new, and each brush is mounted stationary, and it's relationship to the position on the commutator cannot be altered. I can't figure out what else could be causing this? Lenny

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam ! haven't heard from you for a while. Nice to know you are still alive and kicking, provided you are kicking the right people.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 4:01:50 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 12:19:59 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Just wanted to get back to the group about this AC motor that was running in reverse after being disassembled and then put back together. It turns out that reversing the brushes did indeed reverse the direction of the motor. We can't argue with success, but I still don't fully understand why this is so. Can anyone please explain this to me? Thanks, Lenny

I'm just curious, when this plate was moved did all the brushes rotate the same amount, or perhaps just two? Because if you think about that if they all moved the same as a group it doesn't make any sense. Lenny

I think it makes sense. The commutator selects a winding. The rotation of brushes determines
whether winding #1 puts a new rotor N pole CW of the stator's S pole, or winding #2
puts a new rotor N pole CCW of the stator's S pole
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It's good to know Sam Goldwasser is still around, his posts are almost always 100 correct!!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There was a term commonly used years ago which I haven't heard for a long
time. Many commutators would fail because they "threw solder". The point
on the commutator that was soldered to the individual rotor winding had
heated, melted the solder, and "threw" it out of the connection, leaving
that winding either open or intermittent at best.

A friend from my youth was an auto-electrician, and apparently, back then,
this was a common occurrence on starter motors and the like. The term that
he used for the condition was "flung" as in 'it's got a "flung" armature'

I knew what that one meant, but the one that I never got in terms of where
the phrase came from was "drop testing" which I believe referred to the
resistance checking of the armature windings across opposite brass
commutator segments, as described here by someone else.

Arfa