Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Replaced my Sony 55w802A mainboard what next

Hi,
I replaced the main board on my sony 55w802A with a 47w802A. The TV comes on and even flashed SONY across the screen once while trying to reset it to factory setting. However, it usually comes up and does one white flash followed by about 1/2 second intervals of green/amber. I think I need to replace its firmware. I have the firmware on a USB device and have put in in the USB port. However, I can't seem to get further then this following instructions on how to update firmware. If tried unplug 1 min and plug back in and hold up arrow and press power on. This does nothing. No text on screen. I have other replacement parts from a 47 inch model and am willing to replace these too. But it really seems like all i need is a s/w update. I assume all the s/w is the firmware. I'm I correct?

Any advice welcome?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

First of asll these things are a pain in the ass. Second of all Sony is a pai in the ass.

The different model, hel there could be ONE wire coming from the power supply that wiull make all the aprts incompatible. They all do this, you need the serial number to get parts. Just 1,000 away in serial numbers might make the parts non interchangable.

They all do that but Sny is a ****ing expert at it.

I made a ****load of money fixing TVs in previous decades. I KNOW WTF I am doing. I KNOW whatt hey did and how, and I have proof.

My current advice is to never ever try to fix a TV at all now. They are toasters. Get the longest extended warranty you can and save the box becasue under warranty EVEN THEY CANNOT FIX IT. You will be getting a new TV.

The way it is now, you try putting the firmware from one model inbto another you got about an 80 % chance of bricking the mainboard.

I do not have a TV anymore. Just gt a bigger PC moinitor and watch everything on the net. Fuvk TV.

And this from someone who made a hell of a good living on TVs for a LOOOONG time. I did mods, I made **** work when the manufacturer intended fro it not to work, I BEAT T??HEM. I on many battles but in the end, they won the war.

Buy the cheapest piece of **** TV you can and throw it in the garbage as soon as the warranty is up. Even if it works.

That's if you really must have one of those pieces of suiot around you.

Same for stereos. If it is not 30 years old, throw it in the ****ing trash. It is either junk or so clogged up with "features" you can't even find the stereo in there. And it takes a ****ing month just to learn how to work the goddamn thing.

**** al this ****.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 2:33:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi,
I replaced the main board on my sony 55w802A with a 47w802A. The TV comes on and even flashed SONY across the screen once while trying to reset it to factory setting. However, it usually comes up and does one white flash followed by about 1/2 second intervals of green/amber. I think I need to replace its firmware. I have the firmware on a USB device and have put in in the USB port. However, I can't seem to get further then this following instructions on how to update firmware. If tried unplug 1 min and plug back in and hold up arrow and press power on. This does nothing. No text on screen. I have other replacement parts from a 47 inch model and am willing to replace these too. But it really seems like all i need is a s/w update. I assume all the s/w is the firmware. I'm I correct?

Any advice welcome?

I'm bitter too. I'm 69 now and I fixed my first set when I was 13. Then in High School in Junior year they offered a TV repair course. It soon got so the teacher wouldn't call on me anymore because I knew all the answers. He and I would compare notes and discuss service calls after class. I got 95 in one semester and 100 in the next. Good thing too because of the way I slept through and blew off the academics. This brought my average up above 65 anyway.

Back then a service call was 3.00 and tubes were 1.60, and if you walked away from a call with 5.00 You were doing well. I didn't drive until I was 18 so I'd put the tube caddy in a supermarket shopping cart and walk to the call. I grew up in The Bronx so everything was done within the neighborhood and was within walking distance.

Throughout my career I had many different types of electronics jobs, but regardless of what I ever did at any given time I continued to do TV repairs on the side. Then in 1983 I got fired from my last job by the LAST asshole boss I said that I would ever have. I went full time for myself, and just like Jurb, (who by the way helped me out a lot back in those days on this forum with tough dogs)I too made a decent living up until a few years ago doing TV repairs.

At times I used to do 30 sets a month. Now with all the cheap crap coming out of China, (which I'm convinced is specifically designed to fail as soon as the warranty period is up), a great many sets are now BER before they're even unpacked. Who's going to pay 200.00 to fix a 300.00 set? It simply goes in the hopper, along with my dwindling income. These days I'm lucky if I see 30 sets a Year.

These days, engineering is ****, parts are NLA after three years, there is no longer much if any manufacturer support, and customers have dumped their old reliable tube sets by the truckload and succumbed to this wave of imported "uneconomical to repair" ****. Actually that's not completely true. Some parts are available. However, they're so ****ing expensive as to make many repairs uneconomical. So I might get a 50.00 diagnosis fee and then they come and pick up the set. Or they try to stick me with it saying "you can have it for parts". Like I need another boat anchor in my basement. And this might happen twice a month.

So here I am on a Thursday morning. Instead of working down in the shop I'm sitting here on the couch in my underwear writing this. At 69 I'm not about to reinvent myself, so for what it's worth I'm hanging in there.

Hey now's the time to resurrect those old HO trains for my grandson, fix those old RCA 630 chassis I've had in the basement from day 1, repair my RC plane and fly it again, etc, etc. I've got plenty to do, and although sure, I'm bitter too, what the ****, life goes on, doesn't it? Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 06:30:06 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

Wasn't it great back in the 80s? The company I worked for did over
95% warranty work on televisions. Hitachi paid $50.00 dollars per set
for labor and were the quickest to fix, AOC paid $35.00, Phillips paid
40.00 major, $20.00 minor. The tech got 42% of the labor and I
completed between 8 and 9 sets a day on average. The company paid
completely for health insurance. A friend of mine got testicular
cancer from the cleaning chemicals we used on car stereos. Our
insurance company paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to save his
life including months at a treatment center in Houston. He didn't pay
a cent. I make less now than I did then, not counting inflation, and
I don't enjoy the work I am doing as a server administrator. The
insurance I have now kept my wife from having a vital treatment for
months when she had cancer. I guess they were hoping she would die. I
really miss scrupulous companies, repairable products and being a
tech.

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

We had a few very good years between about 2005 and 2009. Extended and
regular warranties, lots of sets worth fixing.

Health insurance plus bonuses.

When the economy tanked it all went away. Never came back.

The extended warranty companies found cheaper ways of doing things, sets got
even cheaper, manufacturers quit field service in favor of depot service or
just replacement.

We're down to about three companies for which we do warranty service, and
they don't pay **** for the most part.

We're down from five technicians to two, my partner / co-owner and myself.
We work longer, make much less, and have to put up with the constant stream
of ****heads who've been on Youtube and think they can fix it themselves,
and the rest who are simply cheapskates.

Just trying to hang on til retirement.

Mark Z.