Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default SMPS wall wart failure.

David Farber wrote:

Eventually I found an SMD zener
diode that was shorted. There are no identifying marks on the diode other
than its color which is the standard looking orange. I am fairly sure it's a
zener because the pc board has it marked as ZD-2. Its location in the
circuit is in parallel with the 5 volt power supply diode that comes off of
the secondary of the switching transformer. The power diode has two sets of
numbers. The top row is marked 540 (perhaps an SB540?) on the bottom row is
marked 849. That diode is ok. Only the zener is shorted. I was wondering if
there was some ballpark zener voltage that I could use to replace the old
one.

** Never seen a rectifier diode and zener in *parallel* before.

Only purpose I can think of is the main diode is a Schottky type and needs protecting from excess reverse voltage spikes.

Schottys range at about 30V up so maybe try a 27V zener.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
David Farber wrote:

[...]

I think it's maybe a 'lost in translation' thing Phil. Although he does
suggest that the 'zener' -if indeed it is one - is in parallel with the
rectifier diode, I think the intention was to convey that it is in parallel
with the 5 volt rail, immediately *after* the rectifier. So I guess that
would be in parallel with the main filter cap, depending on whether there is
a choke before or after it ... ??

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

I think it's maybe a 'lost in translation' thing Phil. Although he does
suggest that the 'zener' -if indeed it is one - is in parallel with the
rectifier diode, I think the intention was to convey that it is in parallel
with the 5 volt rail, immediately *after* the rectifier. So I guess that
would be in parallel with the main filter cap, depending on whether there is
a choke before or after it ... ??

** That was my first idea - main electro goes belly up, feedback loop loses control and fries the safety zener.

Standard failure mode of many SMPSs.

But the OP's post is very specific.

Maybe the zener shorting the main diode fried that electro rather quickly.

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Farber wrote:

[...]

Apologies folks. Looks like I misread the pc traces. The anode of the power
diode is only in common with the secondary of the transformer. The cathode
connects to one end of the zener diode, the filter cap (which I replaced),
then goes to a choke, then to the output wires.

Checking further, I've discovered that the shorted zener diode was in
parallel with the filter cap. That explains the low, in circuit ESR reading.
The negative side of the filter cap and zener are also connected back to the
secondary of the transformer. I imagine the zener is used to protect the cap
and output circuit from voltage spikes?

Thanks for your replies.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 11:47:39 AM UTC-4, David Farber wrote:

Apologies folks. Looks like I misread the pc traces. The anode of the power
diode is only in common with the secondary of the transformer. The cathode
connects to one end of the zener diode, the filter cap (which I replaced),
then goes to a choke, then to the output wires.

Checking further, I've discovered that the shorted zener diode was in
parallel with the filter cap. That explains the low, in circuit ESR reading.
The negative side of the filter cap and zener are also connected back to the
secondary of the transformer. I imagine the zener is used to protect the cap
and output circuit from voltage spikes?

Thanks for your replies.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Basic crowbar zener. Meant to protect the device powered by the supply in case the supply runs away.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"John-Del" wrote in message
[...]

That would be my feeling for the purpose of it, too ...

Arfa

Can I use a 4.5V/ .8mA wall wart with this CD player? BCDrums Home Repair 21 January 14th 20 01:14 AM
SMPS wall wart failure. Gareth Magennis Electronics Repair 1 June 7th 15 10:09 AM
SMPS failure query N_Cook Electronics Repair 6 April 23rd 14 08:04 AM
Wall wart beeping? mm Home Repair 17 May 16th 10 02:49 AM
Wall wart in a box The Medway Handyman UK diy 14 November 9th 09 06:34 PM