Mike

Default Viewsonic P815 Intermittent off/on

This monitor goes off then comes right back on, after three years trouble
free. It degausses when it comes back on. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Mike

Thanks for the response Jerry,
I've had the monitor longer than three years. I'm past the stage of
knowing enough to be dangerous far enough to make the repair. I was just
hoping someone here had fixed a similar problem with this monitor.
There is a slight snap sound, I can't pinpoint it but, I believe it
to be, or close to, the tripler. No visible arcing that I can see. There
are two components (s371+s671) that emit a blue spark close to each other
and the tripler (I thought all manufacturers kept the # designations the
same for each circuit, ie., 301, 302, 303, horizontal circuit ) . They are
glass cased and very well could be doing this from a loss of power as
apposed to going bad. I will keep observing and reading for now. Still
looking for answers.
"Jerry G." wrote in message
This can be attributed to something failing in the power supply or scan
circuits, causing a shutdown, and then a restart.

This is not something you would be able to service yourself, unless
properly equipped and trained. Send the monitor to the ViewSonic service
rep for an estimate to evaluate if it is worth to service. I think
there is a 3 year warranty on ViewSonic monitors. Check this out with
them to know if your monitor is under warranty.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm
"Mike" wrote in message
This monitor goes off then comes right back on, after three years
trouble
free. It degausses when it comes back on. Any help is appreciated,
Thanks.

Mike

Thanks David,
I hear Ya on the screen brightness. I wouldn't even bother but, this
one is still very bright. I've found s371 (Spark Gap) to be the snapping
sound culprit but I guess it's actually avoiding possibly more damage.
Something is constantly ramping voltage, I believe s371 to be sparking once
the voltage gets too high thus causing an endless cycle for now.
The monitor finally quit. Now the power LED on the front flashes
green @ about 1/2 second intervals.This coincides with the shorted part
ramping up and the spark gap taking the voltage low.
I found a short in the H.O.T. and I'm in the process of removing
the main board now. I found a schematic on the net but, it's the wrong
model, part #s are off but, I'm able to catch the jist of it. Well, I guess
that's it for now. Thanks again,
Mike

"David" wrote in message
99% of all the P815,G810 Viewsonic monitors I see with a failure all have
failing or bad flybacks. Since it is snapping, there is a very good

chance
the flyback is failing. Only $85 plus shipping. Unless it has seen

little
use and the picture tube tests very good, not worth fixing. I have seen

way
to many of them get fixed only to have a dim picture due to the hours of

use
on the tube. At least yours is still running some times so you can

actually
do some tests on the picture tube.

David