Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Reconing query

New cone for an EV SX 200, 12 inch speaker. Removing the old cone. I use
a hot air gun on a low setting, so air temp whatever 2 or 3 inches from
nozzle , rated 320 deg C on low setting. Suspension rim came away as
normal. But the spider , looked as though it was to burst into flame, an
alarming amount of jetting and billowing white smoke came off the join.
Quickly removed the hot air gun and gradually the smoke died away.
Didn't smell anything particularly chemically and no throat iritation.
Continued removing the spider with the hot air gun more like 5 inches
away and no repeat of the "smoke". Some sort of chemical reaction ,
initiated by heat, but not combustion?. A white deposit left from the
glue , looking like aluminium oxide but the basket metal was not
affected I think, good machined surface, no obvious corrossion there or
anywhere else on the basket.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

[...]

Its a lot less hassle to simply get it off with a Stanley knife.

Gareth.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

[...]

BTW, you can make perfectly good black glue for the dust cap etc by adding
laser toner to some Bostik.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 28.04.15 15:48, N_Cook wrote:
[...]

That is whats left when you burn silicon glue.
White powder.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 28/04/2015 23:09, Sjouke Burry wrote:
On 28.04.15 15:48, N_Cook wrote:
[...]

Different glue used for spider and main rim, perhaps someone had been in
there before, to refit the spider, unknown history with this speaker.
It looks as though the cone was driven outward , forcefully at some
point in its history. A slight double crease in the cone suggesting the
outwards action, perhaps powerful enough excursion to pull the spider off.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 28/04/2015 20:48, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...
[...]

Its the first time I've reconed using a kit, so I suppose in these
circumstances attacking with a Stanley knife would be sensible. Previous
reconings were where the cone/spider have come unstuck due to ,
normally, storage in damp garage then aluminium corrosssion and then
glue failure, requiring clean removal of cone , cleaning up and
refitting the original.

I HAVE A QUERY FOR EVERYONE \Jeanette\ Home Repair 4 April 18th 07 03:14 AM
hot air gun for torch on query tom patton UK diy 11 May 16th 05 08:24 PM
Gas hob instal query nick smith UK diy 5 May 13th 05 08:40 PM
JVC TV query planet Electronics Repair 1 February 10th 05 09:05 AM
TS: "Why don't they" query John Moorhead Woodworking 13 December 19th 04 08:27 PM