DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   DVD drawer will not open (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/378439-dvd-drawer-will-not-open.html)

RogerR April 26th 15 04:50 AM

DVD drawer will not open

Toshiba SD6100 DVD Player

With cover off or not.
No DVD is in drawer. Can see inside.
Hit OpenClose front panel button and drawer moves slightly forward then
back. Looks like an attempt to open but does not.
Display shows Open the Load.

Occasionally the motor turns a little probably looking to see if DVD is
loaded. No DVD in drawer.

This unit has very little play time on it, maybe 15 DVD plays but is at
least 6 years old.

Is this fix-able or now electronic waste?

Suggestions please.

N_Cook April 26th 15 07:43 AM

DVD drawer will not open

On 26/04/2015 04:50, RogerR wrote:
Toshiba SD6100 DVD Player

With cover off or not.
No DVD is in drawer. Can see inside.
Hit OpenClose front panel button and drawer moves slightly forward then
back. Looks like an attempt to open but does not.
Display shows Open the Load.

Occasionally the motor turns a little probably looking to see if DVD is
loaded. No DVD in drawer.

This unit has very little play time on it, maybe 15 DVD plays but is at
least 6 years old.

Is this fix-able or now electronic waste?

Suggestions please.

perished driveband or less likely, split drive pinion

Mike April 26th 15 11:04 AM

DVD drawer will not open

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 20:50:51 -0700, RogerR wrote:

Toshiba SD6100 DVD Player

With cover off or not.
No DVD is in drawer. Can see inside.
Hit OpenClose front panel button and drawer moves slightly forward then
back. Looks like an attempt to open but does not.
Display shows Open the Load.

Occasionally the motor turns a little probably looking to see if DVD is
loaded. No DVD in drawer.

This unit has very little play time on it, maybe 15 DVD plays but is at
least 6 years old.

Is this fix-able or now electronic waste?

Suggestions please.

Try opening it by hand after using the un-bent paper-clip through the
hole, then keep hitting the open/close button until it decides to behave?

(Of course if something is broken rather than just sticky, this won't
work; then it's junk!)

Mike.

Wayne Chirnside[_5_] April 26th 15 06:44 PM

DVD drawer will not open

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 20:50:51 -0700, RogerR wrote:

Toshiba SD6100 DVD Player

With cover off or not.
No DVD is in drawer. Can see inside.
Hit OpenClose front panel button and drawer moves slightly forward then
back. Looks like an attempt to open but does not.
Display shows Open the Load.

Occasionally the motor turns a little probably looking to see if DVD is
loaded. No DVD in drawer.

This unit has very little play time on it, maybe 15 DVD plays but is at
least 6 years old.

Is this fix-able or now electronic waste?

Suggestions please.

Independent DVD player or computer component?
If the latter there's a tiny hole you can put a straightened out paper
clip or similar in to manually open the drive.
Sometimes just working it out a bit will resume normal behavior.
I've one such drive here and I can get it working as above.

whit3rd April 26th 15 09:12 PM

DVD drawer will not open

On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 8:50:50 PM UTC-7, RogerR wrote:
Toshiba SD6100 DVD Player

With cover off or not.
No DVD is in drawer. Can see inside.
Hit OpenClose front panel button and drawer moves slightly forward then
back. Looks like an attempt to open but does not.

Two fix-able possibilities: some (hopefully not this one) drives have
a belt that couples the eject motor; your belt could be slipping. New belt.
And, some bezels can hang up on a small bit of plastic flash, which
will stall the motor. Fishing around the opening between the bezel
and the drawer with a bit of shim stock might free the drawer,
and you can polish down the offending burr to get rid of the problem.
I've found silicone grease is effective, too, on plastic/plastic friction.

RogerR[_2_] April 27th 15 02:46 AM

DVD drawer will not open

Was hoping it would be fatal but a belt is slipping, the little belt
that drives the tray in and out. If I give the belt driven gear a
nudge it performs.

Now I am challenged to fix it.
So where do I find a replacement belt for this Toshiba SD6100 DVD
Player (stand alone DVD player with HDMI out)?

It is part of my entertainment center.

mike[_22_] April 27th 15 03:23 AM

DVD drawer will not open

On 4/26/2015 6:46 PM, RogerR wrote:
Was hoping it would be fatal but a belt is slipping, the little belt
that drives the tray in and out. If I give the belt driven gear a nudge
it performs.

Now I am challenged to fix it.
So where do I find a replacement belt for this Toshiba SD6100 DVD Player
(stand alone DVD player with HDMI out)?

It is part of my entertainment center.

maybe an O-ring?
There's stuff we used to put on record player turntable belts
to stop slipping. Dunno what's in it.

Does it make any difference whether there's an installed DVD?
There was a series of drives that used a magnet to clamp the
DVD. Wasn't enough torque to disengage the magnet unless there
was a disk installed. I've messed with them for days and never
got satisfactory results.

[email protected] April 27th 15 11:48 AM

DVD drawer will not open

RogerR:

Sorry for your technical difficulty. Slipping belt was one of my
suspicions also. It's frustrating and unfortunate that mechanical
playback devices can't be made to stricter tolerances and
quality standards.

No WONDER streaming and "clouds" are becoming the default
way to enjoy music & movies these days. And I see CD, DVD,
VHS, and Blu Ray players showing up by the ton at Goodwills
and Salvation Army stores.

I.
don't.
trust.
the.
cloud.

I'll hold onto my mechanical means of playback until they quit
completely or until I do. ;)

Mark Zacharias April 27th 15 12:28 PM

DVD drawer will not open

"RogerR" wrote in message
Was hoping it would be fatal but a belt is slipping, the little belt that
drives the tray in and out. If I give the belt driven gear a nudge it
performs.

Now I am challenged to fix it.
So where do I find a replacement belt for this Toshiba SD6100 DVD Player
(stand alone DVD player with HDMI out)?

It is part of my entertainment center.

Short term solution - if the belt has not lost tension from the rubber
starting to turn to goo, just clean the belt and the pulley drive surface,
including the small pulley on the motor itself. Ought to get it going for a
while. You can use a cotton swab and alcohol to clean.

Mark Z.

Dave Platt[_2_] April 27th 15 07:37 PM

DVD drawer will not open

In article , mike wrote:

maybe an O-ring?
There's stuff we used to put on record player turntable belts
to stop slipping. Dunno what's in it.

The stuff I've used is "Rubber Renue", currently sold by MG
Chemicals. It contains methyl salicylate (wintergreen oil) in a
solvent base of xylene and ethylbenzene and (in one varient) acetone.
Use with plenty and plenty of ventilation!

TechSpray is selling a "greener" product for the same purpose, which
uses d-limonene (from citrus fruit peel) and some chlorinated
paraffin.

Ideally, such a material will de-glaze the belt surface (allowing it
to "grab" once again) without attacking the rubber.

Don't apply them "in place" - remove the belt, wipe on the
rejuvinator, let it sit for a few seconds, wipe off (and expect a lot
of black gunk to come off with it, as it removes the deteriorated
rubber from the surface of the belt).