Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Any idea how to jury rig a dirty water pump to drain the last 3inches?

Have you ever dealt with a dirty water pump that just wouldn't
drain the last few inches? Is there a simple solution?

I bought a 1 HP Harbor Freight 69300 dirty water pump to drain
a green pool but it won't turn on at low water levels:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5458/1...ee73cc98_c.jpg

Even with the obnoxious float switch manually set to permanent on,
the pump stops pumping with plenty of dirty water left to pump out:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7699/1...45741c9b_c.jpg

I'm currently shoveling the water into a garbage can and then
pumping it out from the garbage can:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8811/1...f798a613_c.jpg

But, pumping at 50 gallons per minute, I have to constantly run
to the GCFI and pull the plug to shut it off before the garbage
can runs dry:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7642/1...c37715ab_c.jpg

Currently I have a 2-inch pool vacuum hose connected to the
1.5-inch outlet (female NPT thread) in the steel body of the pump:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8805/1...d602a39d_z.jpg

But, I'd like to see if I can jury rig *something* (a rubber hose
perhaps?) to go on the *underside* unthreaded inlet of the pump:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5443/1...ed88636b_z.jpg

What could I shove into that inlet which will allow the pump to
go shallower than the three or four or even five inches it seems
to currently stop at?

I have a few 1.5-inch NPT fittings which go on the *outlet* of
the stainless steel body:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7644/1...bc0500f9_z.jpg

The specs for the pump "say" it drains down to 1-3/8 inches:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-st...gph-69300.html

But, the owners manual says it stops at 3 inches (which it seems to do):
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...9999/69300.pdf

Have you ever dealt with a dirty water pump that just wouldn't
drain the last few inches? Is there a simple solution?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Danny D. formulated the question :
[...]

Translate this from Australian
Cheap Shop Vacuum cleaners often allow WET USE
HF most likely sells them for less than $50

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ult?q=shop+vac

Only get a tankfull at a time. Maybe 5 gallons.

--
John G Sydney.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair Danny D. wrote:
But, pumping at 50 gallons per minute, I have to constantly run to the
GCFI and pull the plug to shut it off before the garbage can runs dry:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7642/1...c37715ab_c.jpg

I think I'd plug a power strip with switch into the long cord from the
house, and then a short (like, 12') extension cord into the power strip,
and then the pump into the short extension cord. This gives you a local
switch so you don't have to run around. Yes, plugging extension cords
into power strips into extension cords is against code.

But, I'd like to see if I can jury rig *something* (a rubber hose
perhaps?) to go on the *underside* unthreaded inlet of the pump:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5443/1...ed88636b_z.jpg

First idea: Use a big hole saw to cut a round hole in the foot plate of
that pump, concentric with the inlet. Then use something like a piece
of radiator hose through the hole you just made and onto the inlet,
secured with RTV maybe. Or, get a fitting with a long length of
external thread and a big nut to fit that thread. Put the nut between
the foot plate and the inlet, stick the fitting through the hole you
cut, then thread the nut onto the fitting. Push the fitting up against
the inlet and thread the nut down, so the nut forces the fitting up
against the inlet. Then hook whatever hose you want to the free end
of the fitting.

Second idea: Drill out the spot welds? that hold the "legs" onto the
foot plate. Then you have a straight shot at the inlet. You might be
able to get a giant rubber sewer pipe fitting (the thing that's a
length of rubber and two worm gear clamps) over the whole OD of the
motor housing, and then step down to a reasonable diameter with PVC
from there. Replace the foot plate with small stainless steel screws
and locknuts later.

Matt Roberds

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 4/22/15 2:13 AM, Danny D. wrote:
Have you ever dealt with a dirty water pump that just wouldn't
drain the last few inches? Is there a simple solution?

For some people, the solution is to dig a sump for the pump.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair Danny D. wrote:

I bought a 1 HP Harbor Freight 69300 dirty water pump to drain
a green pool but it won't turn on at low water levels:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5458/1...ee73cc98_c.jpg

The pump probably works fine.

I'd make suspects out of those two salamanders, probably unplugging
it before it's done running.

-bruce

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 4/22/2015 2:13 AM, Danny D. wrote:

Have you ever dealt with a dirty water pump that just wouldn't
drain the last few inches? Is there a simple solution?

I modified a HF fountain pump by taping off the
sides, so it would draw closer to the floor of
the wet area. Wonder if you can modify this pump?

The shovel routine sounds a bit like work. Others
suggested a shop vac. When the shop vac is full,
you can put the pump into the shop vac canister.

Instead of running for the GFCI unplug, just let
the float down. Might want to put the pump in a
Rubbermaid with enough room for the float to move,
while you shovel water into the 18 gallon Rubbermaid.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"Danny D." wrote in message
Have you ever dealt with a dirty water pump that just wouldn't
drain the last few inches? Is there a simple solution?

Danny? You know it's three inches because.................you measured it
with yer gherkin?
Do tell...............^@^

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 06:13:33 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Have you ever dealt with a dirty water pump that just wouldn't
drain the last few inches? Is there a simple solution?

There are simple solutions and cheap solutions. Pick one.

The simple solution is to rent a proper trash pump:
http://powerequipment.honda.com/pumps/trash-pumps
Attach a suction hose (one that won't collapse) and most important, a
strainer,
http://www.hondaenergy.com/product.php/286/water_pump_strainer_2_inch
and pump away. It should clear your swamp in a few minutes. As the
water level goes down, use a snow shovel to clear out the remaining
debris and dead bodies. It's better to stop and shovel than to
constantly unclog the strainer. Resist the temptation to remove the
strainer as that's the only thing keeping your pump from eating a rock
and jamming. It takes two people. One person to operate the hose and
the other to shovel. Do not ask how I learned to do this.

The cheap way is a hand operated bilge pump borrowed from someone with
a boat.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hand+operated+bilge+pump&tbm=isch
I have several of this type. Same ritual as the rented pump as these
things really don't like dirty water and debris. The down side is
that water weighs 8.3 lbs/gallon and it could take forever. The good
news is that you'll get plenty of exercise. Estimate the amount of
water you have to pump and calculate the weight. That's how much
weight lifting exercise you're about to experience.

If you don't mind some fabrication, you can build an Achemedes screw
pump out of any kind of flex hose spiraled around a shaft with a
crank. These can easily handle debris.
https://www.google.com/search?q=archimedes+screw&tbm=isch
Unfortunately, it may take longer to build and debug than to continue
bailing with buckets. It will also need a small pipe in order to work
at 3" and below.

If you have a larger air bladder and some bricks, you can raise and
displace the water to a higher water level, giving your Harbour Fright
pump more depth with which to work. If that's too complicated, try a
few boards to build a dam, and shove the water to one side of the pool
for pumping.

Last resort is to find a rectangular trash can, and drag it along the
bottom of the pool. Not the most efficient but at least you'll be
picking up the trash along with the water.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I bought a 1 HP Harbor Freight 69300 dirty water pump to drain
a green pool but it won't turn on at low water levels:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5458/1...ee73cc98_c.jpg

What are those, salamanders climbing the wall? I've counted three (3)
in your photos.

They may be protected by CA law and drought restrictions may prevent
you from filling the pool. I hear Gov. Moonbeam is figuring a way to
see how long you folks shower

Hey Danny
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 03:12:12 -0400, J Burns
wrote:

On 4/22/15 2:13 AM, Danny D. wrote:
Have you ever dealt with a dirty water pump that just wouldn't
drain the last few inches? Is there a simple solution?

For some people, the solution is to dig a sump for the pump.

True for some people. Not in this case, with a pool.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 08:53:05 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Last resort is to find a rectangular trash can, and drag it along the
bottom of the pool. Not the most efficient but at least you'll be
picking up the trash along with the water.

I just remembered how I cleared out the last of the debris and water.
I used a plastic chicken or snow shovel to load it into a trash
barrel. I couldn't find a photo of mine, but this is close:
http://blogs.solidworks.com/teacher/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/6a00d83451706569e20162fe4c7aa2970d.jpg

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I bought a 1 HP Harbor Freight 69300 dirty water pump to drain
a green pool but it won't turn on at low water levels:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5458/1...ee73cc98_c.jpg

What are those, salamanders climbing the wall? I've counted three (3)
in your photos.

They may be protected by CA law and drought restrictions may prevent
you from filling the pool. I hear Gov. Moonbeam is figuring a way to
see how long you folks shower

Hey Danny

Florida has had restrictions for watering lawns for years; using
reclaimed water for that a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

ShopVac with a garden hose rigged to fit the vac hose; there are quite a
few adapters available for ShopVacs.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On 4/22/15 2:13 AM, Danny D. wrote:
Have you ever dealt with a dirty water pump that just wouldn't
drain the last few inches? Is there a simple solution?

For some people, the solution is to dig a sump for the pump.

True for some people. Not in this case, with a pool.

Is a green pool a kind of swimming pool? To drain the neighbor's
swimming pool, we turned a valve to "drain" and switched on the pump.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 09:24:04 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

More of the same...

I just looked at my sump pump:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1273396
(For sale, incidentally). I had to add a 1.5" pipe extension and an
anti-backflow spring valve to make it work right.
http://www.poolsuppliescanada.ca/1-1-2-inch-pvc-check-valve-with-spring-female-threaded.html
The problem was every time the pump began to suck air, the water in
the vertical drain hose would flow backwards town the hose and try to
leak out the intake. Turning off the power guaranteed a gallon or
more of water going backwards. The spring valve solved that problem.
Unfortunately, the valve didn't like getting fed rocks, so I was
fairly careful when using the strainer.

Ummm.... duz this pool have a drain? If so, does your HF sump pump
fit into the drain? If yes, then just lower the pump into the drain
and you'll get more than 3" of of water level.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

J Burns wrote, on Wed, 22 Apr 2015 14:04:14 -0400:

Is a green pool a kind of swimming pool? To drain the neighbor's
swimming pool, we turned a valve to "drain" and switched on the pump.

This is a "fancy" self cleaning pool that doesn't have a main drain cock
nor even a vacuum pump (nor do the skimmers filter anything whatsoever).

You can open up the pool equipment, for example, at the filter, which
will drain maybe half, maybe a bit more or less than half the pool
(which is roughly about 20,000 gallons at the halfway mark).

The next 20,000 gallons is never coming out unless it evaporates or
it's pumped out.

I had siphoned it all out, but, with all the moving of the siphon
hose against the hard side of the pool, I ended up gouging out
a hole.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7675/1...f528726c_c.jpg

Any idea if this tear is easily fixable (or is the 30-foot length
now useless)?
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7714/1...abba6c49_c.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On 4/22/15 2:13 AM, Danny D. wrote:
Have you ever dealt with a dirty water pump that just wouldn't
drain the last few inches? Is there a simple solution?

For some people, the solution is to dig a sump for the pump.

True for some people. Not in this case, with a pool.

Is a green pool a kind of swimming pool? To drain the neighbor's
swimming pool, we turned a valve to "drain" and switched on the pump.

I'm so happy for you I cannot express myself.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Danny D. wrote:
Have you ever dealt with a dirty water pump that just wouldn't
drain the last few inches? Is there a simple solution?

I bought a 1 HP Harbor Freight 69300 dirty water pump to drain
a green pool but it won't turn on at low water levels:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5458/1...ee73cc98_c.jpg

Even with the obnoxious float switch manually set to permanent on,
the pump stops pumping with plenty of dirty water left to pump out:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7699/1...45741c9b_c.jpg

I'm currently shoveling the water into a garbage can and then
pumping it out from the garbage can:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8811/1...f798a613_c.jpg

But, pumping at 50 gallons per minute, I have to constantly run
to the GCFI and pull the plug to shut it off before the garbage
can runs dry:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7642/1...c37715ab_c.jpg

The pump probably stops pumping when it starts drawing air. So, you need to keep
air away from the input. I can suggest a couple possible solutions.

1. Take a sheet of bubble wrap, or maybe just plastic sheet, maybe 3 feet square
at the minimum. Cut a hole in it to fit it to the pump just below the outlet
tube. Tape or caulk it to the pump to eliminate air. Place the pump in the
water, and place suitable boards, bricks, rocks under the plastic to maintain a
water path to the pump, tapering towards the edge of the sheet to maybe 1/4"
above the pool bottom. Thus, you have a long thin path for water to reach the
pump in sufficient volume. The edge of the sheet will need to be weighted down
to hold it on the spacers. A hard plastic layer under the plastic sheet could
help keep it from collapsing between the spacers.

The outer edge spacers could be narrow strips of corrugated plastic which is
made like corrugated plastic, and is most commonly seen used for political
campaign signs. Water would pass through the corrugations.

2. drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of a barrel, or even a plastic bucket
deep enough to hold the whole pump. Keep the holes in from the edge of the
bottom to reduce air whirlpools from reaching under. Place it in the water on
some pea gravel to allow water to reach the holes. Place the pump in the
barrel, Add a top with two holes, one for the outlet hose, sealed around the
hose. The other, for your shop vac inlet. Attach the shop vac and turn it on. It
will draw water into the barrel high enough to cover the pump. Then, turn on the
pump. If the pump draws water too fast, either drill more holes, or use a valve
to restrict outflow from the pump outlet.hose.

When you start the pump. if air under the plastic keeps it from pumping, use
your shop vac at the end of the outlet hose to draw the air out, and the pump
should start pumping. Remove the vac before the water gets to it.

3. There are actually shop vac's available with pumps built into them. I don't
know how high they can pump.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Have same pump.

How about Gorilla tape all around the bottom and a few slits at the
very bottom. That seals the intake down to the last quarter of an inch
or so.
But to run this, you have to have enough water in the pool to prime the
pump, 3 inches.

Otherwise use a water driven syphon to suck the last water out of the
pool. Uses some water for the syphon to suck and push. Run the output
into a barrel if the pool is too deep for the syphon to lift it out
(water supply pressure and syphon design).
I made my own out of PCV pipe and a few brass fittings. With all
properly sealed it works well.

Harbor Freight also has a clean water pump that will take the level way
down. If your green water is just green, that will work and that pump
is cheap. I use make-shift filter for the clean water filter to get
large items out. That clean water pump will handle some nuggets. See
the specs.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 11:14:38 PM UTC-7, Danny D. wrote:
Have you ever dealt with a dirty water pump that just wouldn't
drain the last few inches? Is there a simple solution?

Kinda. You can put a sump outside the pool, and bridge to it with a siphon.
Then, with the sump six inches lower than the bottom of the pool, it siphons
from the pool down to the bottom, and the pump only leaves 3 inches
in the SUMP, not in the pool. You can get fancy with a backflow
preventer in the siphon, of the floating-ball variety, that will make
it easier to prefill the siphon hose.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 18:56:12 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Any idea if this tear is easily fixable (or is the 30-foot length
now useless)?
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7714/1...abba6c49_c.jpg

If the hose vinyl, RTV (silicon rubber) should work.
You may need a piece of vinyl to act as an overlapping patch.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Any idea if this tear is easily fixable (or is the 30-foot length
now useless)?
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7714/1...abba6c49_c.jpg

If the hose vinyl, RTV (silicon rubber) should work.
You may need a piece of vinyl to act as an overlapping patch.

I'd be thinking silicone caulk, followed by
gorilla tape, and then cable ties. Not sure
if that will work. That stuff is miserable to
patch.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 4/22/2015 4:16 PM, Oren wrote:

For some people, the solution is to dig a sump for the pump.

True for some people. Not in this case, with a pool.

Is a green pool a kind of swimming pool? To drain the neighbor's
swimming pool, we turned a valve to "drain" and switched on the pump.

I'm so happy for you I cannot express myself.

Some swimming pools do have a bottom
drain that could work for what Danny D
is doing.

I'm also thrilled beyond description.
-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

In article , says...

[...]

sure, keep it up and you're cavitate the pump and I don't think
you want to repeat that too often.

Rent yourself a Wet Vacuum with pump out for the final job, next time!
A pond cleaning vac could also remove the slugged from the bottom

Jamie
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Any idea if this tear is easily fixable (or is the 30-foot length
now useless)?
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7714/1...abba6c49_c.jpg

If the hose vinyl, RTV (silicon rubber) should work.
You may need a piece of vinyl to act as an overlapping patch.

I'd be thinking silicone caulk, followed by
gorilla tape, and then cable ties.

You forgot the traditional baling wire layer.

I don't think silicone caulk will work. It's too thick and will not
stick to the vinyl. I was thinking of silicone glue, which is thinner
and more likely to stick, especially if the vinyl hose is roughed up a
little with some sandpaper. It has to be some kind of rubberish
adhesive because the glue needs to be flexible.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Liquid-Nails-2-5-oz-Clear-Small-Projects-Silicone-Adhesive-LN-207/202203979

If desperate, there's always Awesome Goo:
http://www.awesomegoo.com
It's not very flexible, but it sure sticks to anything.

If you really want it done right, start with a needle and thread, and
sew the edges together. Some reinforcing tape along the edges will
help prevent tears. I've done HVAC ducting repairs that way. Then
add the silicone glue, duct tape, baling wire, cable ties, etc.

Not sure
if that will work. That stuff is miserable to
patch.

Yep, possibly because it has a layer of protective grease or slime on
the surface. Sandpaper and solvent cleaner should take care of that.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 11:32:00 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Ummm.... duz this pool have a drain? If so, does your HF sump pump
fit into the drain? If yes, then just lower the pump into the drain
and you'll get more than 3" of of water level.

OK, no drain. One more idea. Find a blue tarp or equivalent and
slide it UNDER the water and debris. You might need to shovel the
debris onto the tarp, but the water should just flow over the tarp.
Tie ropes to the sides and corners (usually through eyelets), and
carefully lift straight up. You'll loose some water but you should be
able to lift most of the yuck out of the mosquito hatchery. If you
can't lift it all the way out of the pool, just dump it into the
plastic trash can, and then try to lift the trash can[1].

[1] 8.3 lbs/gallon * 30 gallon trash can = 249 lbs.
Have an engine hoist handy.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 19:08:30 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/22/2015 4:16 PM, Oren wrote:

For some people, the solution is to dig a sump for the pump.

True for some people. Not in this case, with a pool.

Is a green pool a kind of swimming pool? To drain the neighbor's
swimming pool, we turned a valve to "drain" and switched on the pump.

I'm so happy for you I cannot express myself.

Some swimming pools do have a bottom
drain that could work for what Danny D
is doing.

Even a drill mount pump

"Drill Powered Pump professional drill powered pump tool.
Ideal for use with clearing blocked sinks, toilets, dishwashers, water
heaters, aquariums, pools... and the list could go on."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/drill-pump

I'm also thrilled beyond description.

I'm glad you're glad!
--
Sometimes you just have a bad day at the dungeon
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 08:48:23 -0700, Oren wrote:

Even a drill mount pump

"Drill Powered Pump professional drill powered pump tool.
Ideal for use with clearing blocked sinks, toilets, dishwashers, water
heaters, aquariums, pools... and the list could go on."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/drill-pump

Yech. I had to drain a small swamp under a rental house when the
plumbing blew. I had a drill pump and never used it. The problem is
that they have no volumetric capacity. My guess is about 1/2 gallon
per minute at best. It also can't handle much of a head. Lifting
even a few gallons in a 3/4" garden hose up out of a pool is going to
take more than what a drill pump can supply. After about an hour of
dribbling water and endless clogging, I gave up, rented a proper trash
pump, and did the job in a few minutes. The drill pump went into the
recycling pile.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 09:35:27 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

[...]

Makes sense. Strike the drill pump idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 4/23/2015 12:35 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Yech. I had to drain a small swamp under a rental house when the
plumbing blew. I had a drill pump and never used it. The problem is
that they have no volumetric capacity. My guess is about 1/2 gallon
per minute at best. It also can't handle much of a head. Lifting
even a few gallons in a 3/4" garden hose up out of a pool is going to
take more than what a drill pump can supply. After about an hour of
dribbling water and endless clogging, I gave up, rented a proper trash
pump, and did the job in a few minutes. The drill pump went into the
recycling pile.

When my parents house cellar flooded, Dad tried a
drill pump he'd got from hardware store. Much the
same experience, no GMPM and no PSI to speak of.

Danny D could use drill pump to fill the trash can
or Rubbermaid where the trash pump is. Every now
and agint he trash pump would cycle.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 13:02:25 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Danny D could use drill pump to fill the trash can
or Rubbermaid where the trash pump is. Every now
and agint he trash pump would cycle.

I thought the same after mentioning the drill pump.

Sure beats a shovel to fill a homer bucket. Moving 5 gallons at a
time.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 10:10:09 -0700, Oren wrote:

Sure beats a shovel to fill a homer bucket. Moving 5 gallons at a
time.

I'll vote for the shovel. However, it should be a show shovel as I've
been repeatedly recommending. Each shovel full holds about 1/2 gallon
or 4 lbs of water, which is about right. Any more would be too heavy.
Any less, too much shoveling. The best part is that it picks up both
the water and the green slime on the bottom of the pool at the same
time. No clogs, no jammed pump, and ready to compost in the trash
barrel.

Oops. No wonder I couldn't find my shovel on the Ace web pile. It's
not a snow shovel, but rather a "grain scoop":
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3495129

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 4/22/15 8:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 4/22/2015 2:13 AM, Danny D. wrote:

Have you ever dealt with a dirty water pump that just wouldn't
drain the last few inches? Is there a simple solution?

I modified a HF fountain pump by taping off the
sides, so it would draw closer to the floor of
the wet area. Wonder if you can modify this pump?

The shovel routine sounds a bit like work. Others
suggested a shop vac. When the shop vac is full,
you can put the pump into the shop vac canister.

Instead of running for the GFCI unplug, just let
the float down. Might want to put the pump in a
Rubbermaid with enough room for the float to move,
while you shovel water into the 18 gallon Rubbermaid.

http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-Systems-VIP50-Submersible-Utility/dp/B000CQ6CU4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1429875701&sr=8-10&keywords=trash+pump

Needs only 1/8". 2500gph through a garden hose.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 4/24/2015 1:59 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 10:10:09 -0700, Oren wrote:

Sure beats a shovel to fill a homer bucket. Moving 5 gallons at a
time.

I'll vote for the shovel. However, it should be a show shovel as I've
been repeatedly recommending. Each shovel full holds about 1/2 gallon
or 4 lbs of water, which is about right. Any more would be too heavy.
Any less, too much shoveling. The best part is that it picks up both
the water and the green slime on the bottom of the pool at the same
time. No clogs, no jammed pump, and ready to compost in the trash
barrel.

Oops. No wonder I couldn't find my shovel on the Ace web pile. It's
not a snow shovel, but rather a "grain scoop":
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3495129

The snow shovels found in NYS won't hold a half
gal of water:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...SnowShovel.png

The grain scoop might be handy for a list of jobs.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

J Burns wrote:
On 4/22/15 8:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 4/22/2015 2:13 AM, Danny D. wrote:

Have you ever dealt with a dirty water pump that just wouldn't
drain the last few inches? Is there a simple solution?

I modified a HF fountain pump by taping off the
sides, so it would draw closer to the floor of
the wet area. Wonder if you can modify this pump?

The shovel routine sounds a bit like work. Others
suggested a shop vac. When the shop vac is full,
you can put the pump into the shop vac canister.

Instead of running for the GFCI unplug, just let
the float down. Might want to put the pump in a
Rubbermaid with enough room for the float to move,
while you shovel water into the 18 gallon Rubbermaid.

http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-Systems-VIP50-Submersible-Utility/dp/B000CQ6CU4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1429875701&sr=8-10&keywords=trash+pump

Needs only 1/8". 2500gph through a garden hose.

"Minimum water level to operate pump is 2 5/8-inch"

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 08:07:13 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/24/2015 1:59 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Oops. No wonder I couldn't find my shovel on the Ace web pile. It's
not a snow shovel, but rather a "grain scoop":
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3495129

The snow shovels found in NYS won't hold a half
gal of water:
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...SnowShovel.png

We don't have much snow (or water) in California, so we don't know
what a proper snow shovel looks like. However, we do have plenty of
swimming pools and are quite experienced in using a plastic shovel to
remove debris from the bottom. When I managed my father's apartment
building, fishing everything from broken glass to animal carcasses out
of the pool was a regular task. (Note: shovel does not work on
furniture tossed into the pool during parties).

The half gallon capacity is my guess(tm), and probably wrong. If
anyone is interested, I can measure it this weekend.

The grain scoop might be handy for a list of jobs.

I've used it for everything except shoveling grain. The original
motivation for buying one will remain classified information, but
since then, it has performed well for all manner of cleanup tasks. The
nice part about a plastic scoop is that it doesn't wreck wood floors,
carpet, tile, etc like a metal scoop.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 07:45:50 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-Systems-VIP50-Submersible-Utility/dp/B000CQ6CU4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1429875701&sr=8-10&keywords=trash+pump

Needs only 1/8". 2500gph through a garden hose.

"Minimum water level to operate pump is 2 5/8-inch"

+1

That puts us back to the original subject question.

Water Heater Flushing: Good idea or bad idea? VQ Home Repair 16 November 20th 17 05:14 AM
Dirty water pump asalcedo UK diy 4 October 2nd 12 08:12 AM
Do dishwashers need drain hose to rise above level of drain pump? Sum Guy Home Repair 76 August 17th 10 05:24 PM
dirty water pump with hose intake sm_jamieson UK diy 1 May 2nd 08 12:09 AM
Dirty water pump LSR UK diy 2 September 18th 07 04:23 PM