Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Default Inkjet ink level sensing?

One source I found says that Canon uses light from an LED--bounced from a
prism at the bottom of the cartridge after ink is depleted--to trigger the
"Empty" signal. Epson apparently counts the spurts of ink and calculates the
arrival of "empty".

I couldn't find how HP do this. Anybody know?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 23:03:13 -0800, DaveC wrote:

One source I found says that Canon uses light from an LED--bounced from a
prism at the bottom of the cartridge after ink is depleted--to trigger the
"Empty" signal. Epson apparently counts the spurts of ink and calculates the
arrival of "empty".

I couldn't find how HP do this. Anybody know?

HP has two methods. One is to just guess based on usage:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00216780
The other adds an expiration date to the cartridge:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01764161
Both suck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On 08/03/2015 1:22 AM, Charlie+ wrote:
On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 23:03:13 -0800, DaveC wrote as
underneath :

One source I found says that Canon uses light from an LED--bounced from a
prism at the bottom of the cartridge after ink is depleted--to trigger the
"Empty" signal. Epson apparently counts the spurts of ink and calculates the
arrival of "empty".

I couldn't find how HP do this. Anybody know?

Any inkjet that uses chipped cartridges guestimates the emptiness. Old
Canon printers certainly used the reflective prism, IP4000 was about the
last that had unchipped carts. and thus had an accurate end level
warning. I think most printers now would guestimate on the safe side
judging by the complaints of half full carts being classed as empty. I
dont know if Canon still uses the prisms on their modern chipped carts
but I would think probably not as the guestimate method gets you to buy
more ink earlier! Someone with one of the more modern Canons will know
Im sure! ... HP have had chips since very early days so levels will be
guestimated by software. C+

My old(?) Canon MP 620 uses chipped cartridges as far as I know and when
I get an empty signal -the cartridge is fully emptied.

--
Don Kelly

remove the 'cross' to reply directly

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 1:04:41 AM UTC, Don Kelly wrote:
[...]

On my old Canon ip4300 printer the ink level can be seen through the
clear plastic of the cartridge,unlike my Epson BX525WD multifunction
printer.

Doug.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 07:01:31 +0000, Charlie+ wrote:

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 19:03:25 -0700 (PDT), wrote as
underneath :
On my old Canon ip4300 printer the ink level can be seen through the
clear plastic of the cartridge,unlike my Epson BX525WD multifunction
printer.

Yep, any (prism) level measurement in the visible spectrum would need
clear cartriges! Nearly all modern OEM carts. are black or an opaque
colour! C+

Not exactly. There are more than a few problems.

Most older cartridges have open cell foam inside to prevent sloshing
in transit. Kinda difficult to design a liquid level sensor that
works in foam. Neither dye or pigment type inks are very conductive,
so that's not going to work.

Some carts don't have any foam and are often clear or at least
translucent. However, they are usually used with dye type inks, which
are optically transparent. So, that's not going to work.

Older HP color carts have 3 colors in one cartridge. 3 sets of
optical sensors in one cart isn't exactly economical or practical.

Optical sensing might work with pigment type inks, but I suspect the
optical transmission characteristics will vary with the color. Also
yellow is nearly transparent.

There is one place where optical sensing works... laser printers. The
toner is optically opaque. Brother printers have windows on each end
of the cartridge. Then the light can be seen through the cartridge,
it's considered out of toner. The problem is they located the windows
a bit too high on some printers. I forgot the model, but one of their
older color laser printers leaves about 25% in the cartridge when it
claims it's empty. The fix is to put some electrical tape over one of
the windows.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yep, any (prism) level measurement in the visible spectrum would need clear
cartriges! Nearly all modern OEM carts. are black or an opaque colour! C+

Or a vertical light path from the led chip on the bottom of the cartridge, up
through the (now) empty cartridge, reflecting off of a prism inside the top
of the cartridge back to a receiver on the same chip as the LED is mounted.