Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Speaker problems

I have a behringer eurolive b115. This is a 15 inch active 1000w speaker. ie has its own amp in the speaker.

When I turn it on all the light light up as normal then after 2 seconds the speaker squeaks then the light go out briefly then the process repeats. Lights on, 2seconds then a squeak, lights out.

There is an earthing screwed to the rear panel of the speaker. Around the earthing there is burn marks. Only Accessed by removing the rear panel
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bad capacitor in amp pwr supply
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

burn marks are not good. Do you know how to check the outputs in amplifiers ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

I have a behringer eurolive b115. This is a 15 inch active 1000w speaker.
ie has its own amp in the speaker.

When I turn it on all the light light up as normal then after 2 seconds the
speaker squeaks then the light go out briefly then the process repeats.
Lights on, 2seconds then a squeak, lights out.

There is an earthing screwed to the rear panel of the speaker. Around the
earthing there is burn marks. Only Accessed by removing the rear panel

Are you sure those "burn marks" are not the weld marks around a welded on
screw tapped ground point?

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Spot on Gareth. They are weld marks on closer inspection.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've opened up the amp but anything to do with the circuit board (capacitors) looks well above my level. Unfortunately I live 1,600km from a repair shop.

I can work a volt meter am I looking for a watt level produced before the speaker does it automatic restarts as afore mentioned in the original post.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Frazier wrote:

I've opened up the amp but anything to do with
the circuit board (capacitors) looks well above
my level.

Unfortunately I live 1,600km from a repair shop.

I can work a volt meter am I looking for a watt
level produced before the speaker does it automatic
restarts as afore mentioned in the original post.

** Try disconnecting the 15 inch speaker - a burnt voice coil might just produce the symptoms you are seeing. Check its resistance with your meter.

Behringer stuff is notoriously difficult to repair and Behringer will not supply schematics - so few independent techs are willing to even look at one.

The B115 is Chinese in design and manufacture, uses switching technology everywhere and is full of surface mount components. IOW it's a nightmare.

$400 buys you another one and may be your cheapest option, particularly if you need to use the speaker soon.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cheers Phil

Have opted to buy a new one. Speaker is fine all the capacitors are fine. But something wrong. Might look good as a letter box
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 6:41:50 PM UTC-4, Dave Frazier wrote:
Cheers Phil

Have opted to buy a new one. Speaker is fine all the capacitors are fine.. But something wrong. Might look good as a letter box

As long as you're replacing it, you can have some fun with it. You didn't say how you checked the capacitors, but try heating the power supply area with a hair dryer for 5 minutes or so. Plug it in and try it. If it comes on, there's a real good chance you have a balky electrolytic in the power supply. The only sure way of checking them is to pull them out of circuit and check for ESR, value, and leakage.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Frazier wrote:

Cheers Phil

Have opted to buy a new one.
Speaker is fine all the capacitors are fine.

** Be sure to store the speakers safely somewhere.

It might come in very handy one day.

..... Phil