Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CATV RF Notch Filter

Hi,

I never made a NF (Notch Filter), but I am thinking about making a "stub"
(I think that's the term) NF for CATV to "block" a single "channel" coming in
on the digital TV cable system. Note: This "channel" consists of ANNOYING
ads/promos that you can not avoid or "turn off" when you use the "On Demand"
feature to look at a list of "on demand" available movies, TV shows, music
videos, etc.

I know the frequency, which by the way is between 200 and 300Mhz.

If I have this correct, the "stub" is a 1/4 wave length of the offending
frequency. The 75 ohm coax is cut to that length and is shorted on the far
end. The other end is connected via a "T" connector.

Also, I don't know if the notch will be "deep" (high Q) enough to make
the digital data "un-usable" (can't decode). Another concern is the width of
the notch. If it is too wide, it may affect the adjacent channel.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or can you recommend a place
where I can order a good CATV NF (I am willing to pay)?

Thank You in advance, John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
wrote:

I never made a NF (Notch Filter), but I am thinking about making a "stub"
(I think that's the term) NF for CATV to "block" a single "channel" coming in
on the digital TV cable system. Note: This "channel" consists of ANNOYING
ads/promos that you can not avoid or "turn off" when you use the "On Demand"
feature to look at a list of "on demand" available movies, TV shows, music
videos, etc.

I know the frequency, which by the way is between 200 and 300Mhz.

If I have this correct, the "stub" is a 1/4 wave length of the offending
frequency. The 75 ohm coax is cut to that length and is shorted on the far
end. The other end is connected via a "T" connector.

If it's a quarter-wavelength long at frequency of interest, then
shorting the far end will cause it to behave very much like an open
circuit at the "T" at that frequency. A quarter-wavelength
transmission line results in the maximum transformation of the
impedance from one end to the other.

If what you're attempting to do is "short out" the frequency of that
one channel, then you'd want either a quarter-wavelength stub which is
open at the far end (and these can be tricky due to parasitic
capacitance, and could also radiate signals from other channels) or a
half-wavelength stub which is shorted at the end.

Be aware that any shorted stub is going to look like a short at DC,
which might be an issue on some cable systems.

Also, I don't know if the notch will be "deep" (high Q) enough to make
the digital data "un-usable" (can't decode). Another concern is the width of
the notch. If it is too wide, it may affect the adjacent channel.

The latter is not at all unlikely.

Single-channel filters, deep enough to be useful and shallow enough
not to affect adjacent channels significantly, tend to be fairly big
and heavy and complex affairs.

http://www.tinlee.com/CATV-ChannelEl...e.php?active=1 is
one source for them - these are the sort of "big guns" used by CATV
companies if they want to knock out one channel, and insert their own
content on that frequency.

http://www.tinlee.com/NotchTraps.php...=CATV&active=1 might be
more what you'd need. The CR7-(Fo)-HQ line seems appropriate for your
need, if the notching is deep enough. I don't think these are
designed to have enough attenuation to allow re-use of the same signal
(e.g. injecting new content) without interference... they're just
designed to attenuate an unwanted signal.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or can you recommend a place
where I can order a good CATV NF (I am willing to pay)?

I bought one of TinLee's single-channel units some years ago, when I
wanted to notch out Channel 11 from my main over-the-air antenna
(pointed north) and insert a separate Channel 11 feed from a Yagi I
built (pointed south). It worked very nicely and it survived outdoor
weather for as long as I needed it (several years).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 13:22:56 -0800, Dave Platt wrote:
wrote:

If I have this correct, the "stub" is a 1/4 wave length of the offending
frequency. The 75 ohm coax is cut to that length and is shorted on the far
end. The other end is connected via a "T" connector.

If it's a quarter-wavelength long at frequency of interest, then
shorting the far end will cause it to behave very much like an open
circuit at the "T" at that frequency. A quarter-wavelength
transmission line results in the maximum transformation of the
impedance from one end to the other.

If what you're attempting to do is "short out" the frequency of that
one channel, then you'd want either a quarter-wavelength stub which is
open at the far end (and these can be tricky due to parasitic
capacitance, and could also radiate signals from other channels) or a
half-wavelength stub which is shorted at the end.

And, be aware that the _open_ quarter wave stub will also demonstrate
'zero' impeadance at all the odd 1/4 wave frequencies -- IOW, at 3X your
"200 to 300 MHz" target, and at 5X, etc.

Also, I don't know if the notch will be "deep" (high Q) enough to make
the digital data "un-usable" (can't decode). Another concern is the width of
the notch. If it is too wide, it may affect the adjacent channel.

The latter is not at all unlikely.

I have made 1/4 wave stubs of High Q out of 1/2" and 3/4" cable TV
hardline to eliminate harmonic interference in TVs from nearby
(non-TV) transmitters. WFM.

HTH
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | W3DHJ | W3DHJ | http://W3DHJ.net/
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | __
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

SNIP

Single-channel filters, deep enough to be useful and shallow enough
not to affect adjacent channels significantly, tend to be fairly big
and heavy and complex affairs.

http://www.tinlee.com/CATV-ChannelEl...e.php?active=1 is
one source for them - these are the sort of "big guns" used by CATV
companies if they want to knock out one channel, and insert their own
content on that frequency.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for this very useful information.

I decided to abandon the idea of making my own NF.

I sent an email to with the frequency of the channel I
want to "block". I am waiting for a response.

Again Thanks, John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On some more traditional cable services the channels are transmitted in fixed frequency channels (MUX) usually 8Mhz wide just like air DTV. If the OP has such service it makes sense to add a filter to block that channel (but it may block other data that may cause the selection list to not work). It is not an ethernet like system but a DVB-C system.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I used to mess around with cable notch filters back when the systems were
all analog and I can't see where you came up with this idea to work on
digital systems. It's just not the same thing.

The analog systems used the same 6 mhz channel bandwidth as the terrestrial
broadcast systems so you narrowing down to the 200 to 300mhz range isn't
much better than saying "it's in the cable somewhere".

On digital systems the channels simply don't exist, unless they are analog.
It's data like ethernet. Your cable box is more akin to a computer than a
cable converter. What's worst is, some systems like fios and uverse, the
"cable" ends at that box out front or in the alley and your converter is
just telling what to send down the copper from the box to your house. Is how
they feed the 500 channel universe into a pair of 50 year old abestos
covered wires.

Hi Bruce,

Digital broadcasts over the air uses specific frequencies. However,
cable uses coax instead of "air". Those digital "packets" require RF
to travel over the air or on cable.

I injected a 276Mhz signal into the cable and it "knocked out"
those ANNOYING ads/promos you see when you use the "On Demand"
feature to see a list of movies, TV shows, music videos, etc. With
the ads "blocked", I was able to select and view (on demand) a music
video because it uses a different frequency.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I know the frequency, which by the way is between 200 and 300Mhz.

Do you know the bandwidth needed? If it's fairly wide band, you'll
probably end up with a hipass and lopass filters in series.

** Not likely.

It's not an analogue signal so you do not need to remove it all - just a part of it will do, enough to prevent decoding.

..... Phil

Really "need to" replace older CATV cables? Would my cable providerreally filter my line against my will? Jreality Electronics Repair 13 May 2nd 11 06:04 PM
What size thread is CATV? Terry Home Repair 9 November 6th 07 03:11 AM
catv double cable Kitep Home Repair 12 June 28th 07 04:31 AM
CATV splitter? Nate Nagel Home Repair 14 January 15th 07 10:02 PM
400HZ Notch Filter how to. Dana Electronics Repair 6 September 30th 03 04:49 PM