Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Old Ampex reel to reel audio recorders

I'm hoping that someone may be able to help me. I had a number of old Ampex consumer type reel to reel tape machines from the late 1950's around the shop that I recently went through. My goal was to come up with a transport with minimum wear, ultimately rebuild it and then confirm that we had good electronics and heads. Well I did that, and with the help of a rebuilt pinch roller, belts, cleaning and a good lubrication, I put together a really good working machine. The only problem is that since these were in a scrap pile with no top plates and just one carrying case, I can't identify the model number of the machine that I just rebuilt. I can tell you that the top plate from an old 960 that I also had around here does fit, however I know that its not a 960 because the makings for the function switches, (left hand knobs) on the top plate are not correct for this machine. Here is a picture of a 960 so that you can get an idea of the style of the machine:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...&hsimp=yhs-001

Here is a closeup of the 960 selector switches:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...&hsimp=yhs-001

Here is a picture of a 1260 which is what I think I've rebuilt:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...&hsimp=yhs-001

The main difference between the 960 and the machine that I just rebuilt is primarily the function switches, (left hand concentric controls). If you compare the two machines the inner and outer concentric knobs are reversed. In addition, on the 1260, on the large outer knob there is one additional switch position that the other machine does not have. There were many versions of this style of machine and I think I know enough to operate it but it would be very nice to have a 1260 owners and perhaps service manual as well. And if anyone has any of these old machines or knows of someone who does I'd really like to replace the missing top panel. Can anyone help me out with any of this? Thanks, Lenny