DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   momentary pushbutton switch (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/378284-momentary-pushbutton-switch.html)

humbled valiant January 29th 15 04:42 PM

momentary pushbutton switch

I am looking for a push button switch that turns on when it is pressed down,
stays on while it stays depressed and turns off when it is released.

I am running into "momentary pushbutton" switches such as this candidate:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-switch/1.html

Do switches like this meet my qualifications?

[email protected] January 29th 15 05:16 PM

momentary pushbutton switch

What you are looking for is a push-on/push-off switch NOT a momentary switch. A momentary switch will only be "ON" while depressed.

Dan

mike[_22_] January 29th 15 05:29 PM

On 1/29/2015 9:16 AM, wrote:
What you are looking for is a push-on/push-off switch NOT a momentary switch. A momentary switch will only be "ON" while depressed.

Dan

One of us is confused.
I say the referenced switch is what he says he needs.

Klay Anderson January 29th 15 06:00 PM

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 9:42:55 AM UTC-7, humbled valiant wrote:
I am looking for a push button switch that turns on when it is pressed down,
stays on while it stays depressed and turns off when it is released.

I am running into "momentary pushbutton" switches such as this candidate:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-switch/1.html

Do switches like this meet my qualifications?

Yes. Those are called "arcade switches" and as long as you use the C and N.O. terminals it will stay closed as long as held down.

Yours truly,
Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.

Tim R[_2_] January 29th 15 07:14 PM

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 12:29:03 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:
On 1/29/2015 9:16 AM, wrote:
What you are looking for is a push-on/push-off switch NOT a momentary switch. A momentary switch will only be "ON" while depressed.

Dan

One of us is confused.
I say the referenced switch is what he says he needs.

The one he referenced is single pole double throw, snap action. I would have interpreted that to act like a change of state relay.

Tim R[_2_] January 29th 15 09:20 PM

On 1/29/2015 9:16 AM, wrote:
What you are looking for is a push-on/push-off switch NOT a momentary switch. A momentary switch will only be "ON" while depressed.

Dan

One of us is confused.
I say the referenced switch is what he says he needs.

The one he referenced is single pole double throw, snap action. I would have interpreted that to act like a change of state relay.

Oh wait, I missed the word momentary in the product description. Never mind.

Phil Allison[_3_] January 30th 15 06:42 AM

humbled valiant wrote:

I am looking for a push button switch that turns on when it is pressed down,
stays on while it stays depressed and turns off when it is released.

I am running into "momentary pushbutton" switches such as this candidate:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-switch/1.html

Do switches like this meet my qualifications?

** Absolutely.

The linked example is "microswitch" with changeover contacts and a rather chunky actuator button.

Should be able to handle a fair amount of current and voltage too - long as it is switching AC.

..... Phil

Ron D. February 2nd 15 10:15 PM

momentary pushbutton switch

switch specifications usuallyy have the following notoations

ON-(ON)-none
and shorting or make before break
thus an (ON)-none-ON switch would have 2 positions. One momentary and the other ON.

The notation of poles and throws are also used, thus SPDT is a single pole double throw (two positions).

Shorting switches were used in audio where both adjacent connections are made simultaneously for a brief instant to avoid pops. This is usually used for rotary switches.

Watch switch ratings: The AC and DC ratings can be very different.

[email protected] February 8th 15 04:18 AM

momentary pushbutton switch

What the OP wants is a simple pushbutton switch, like a doorbell switch.