Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DVD Duplicator

Got one of these in and the customer seems hot to trot. It is onlty a single copy device so the bill can't really be big. Might be worh a couple hundred at best.

it must have worked because the burner drawer is not closing, and the eject button is out of the read drive. Figgure we will just change both drives and be done with it. The two of them might be fifty bucks total and I'llk be done in ten minutes.

However, DVD ROMs that do not burn, well on like the Bestbuy site they are a bit hard to find. there is one down the street so I figure instead of ****ing wiht shipping and all that, just go there. I nbeed a read drive and a write drive and I need black fronts to match.

So I see a burner on there for $16. I mean, I won't put something in a box for $16. So can I just use two burners in the thing ?

It only has one little board on the bottom where the SATA cables connect, and a power supply and fan, and that's it.

There is absolutely no brand name or model num,ber on it and I can't find an FCC ID, even though I was pretty sure those things were a thing of the past I still looked.

Another question is, this isn't one of those deals where I have to get the drive from them is it ? (whoever they are) If they are using standard drives, maybe there is no hardware detection and it set to the OEM drives ?

Please advise. I just saw the $16 drives on the website, they might be out of them locally. I might have as much as $60 into them and do not want to waste money.

Another thing is it has audio outpout jacks. (not video) You (not you) mean to tell me that someone will take their DVD duplicator and listen to a CD on it ? I put CDROMs in PCs so people do not have to wear out their burner for reading, plus copying is alot smoother.

This thing, there is only a power button, no other controls. I assume that when you put in a DVD and a blank it just starts.

Also, if these things respect copyguard the job could get blown off. If the guy wants to copy protected material and it won't do it we would rather not ha ve the animousity that could bring. maybe I should talk to him. but when I do that I would like to lknow about this deal. CanI just use two burners in there or will something screw that up ? Computers, ;well sometimes I have told people "We are doing that becvause I do not know" meaning that I am dong what I KNOW will work rather than what I merely think will work. I ain't got all day.

Absolutely no model or brand on the thing. If you need, I could look at the board and see the chip number or whatever. What's more, the power supply has one old style connector on it. However no IDE at all. Could this be a stripped down PC power supply ? I don't see an ATX connector on it but wires can be cut.

That reminds me I have a PC PS to fix so I got a better PC at work. I ordered caps for its PS and they turned up too big. I did get the guy into Digikey though so now I can fix that.

If, IF there is a reason that replacement drive might niot work then I will o=look into the prospect of fixing the ones in there.

How the hell do you break the eject button ? I know how. By being an asshole and pushing the button before the disk is done burning and finalizing harder and harder because they are the same type of people who put 25 amp fuses in where a 6 came out. Just had that happen with a guitar amp. I guess there are assholes in this business as well.

Anyway, I want to know if there are any hitches involved with just throwing in regular DVD drives in there.

Thanks in advance.

Duplicator question Ted[_12_] Woodturning 2 January 28th 09 02:16 AM
Duplicator Bob S.[_2_] Woodturning 14 December 23rd 08 12:38 PM
RE Duplicator Leo Lichtman[_2_] Woodturning 0 December 22nd 08 07:41 PM
DUPLICATOR J T Woodworking 10 November 16th 06 02:06 AM
Duplicator Fred May Woodworking 1 December 20th 05 04:47 PM