Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Default Interesting ...

Rod Speed sendte dette med sin computer:
Leif Neland wrote

So I hooked up the OBD-2 reader: Engine misfire cylinder 1.
I exchanged two "spark plug caps" which is really the ignition coil and
some electronics, one unit per cylinder.

Very unusual way to do things.

Here is the product page:

http://www.thansen.dk/product.asp?pn=-831477966

Price is USD 160, I got an used one for 24USD.

Alas, now it needs a new back door, because wife didn't see I parked
the Landcruiser outside the garage :-(

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Tim Watts wrote:
On 06/01/15 06:10, John Robertson wrote:

As usual, heat is the enemy. Reading the technical specs for caps is
enlightening. They are rated usually at something like 2,000 to 5,000
hours at their rated temperature. So an 80C cap will die after something
like 2000 hrs at 80C or 4000 hours at 50C and 10000 hours at 40C (not
looking it up!), whereas a 105C cap will last 10000 hours at 85C, etc.
So, the better the grade of cap the longer it will last in warm to hot
environments. And there is the equivalent resistance and inductance to
consider as well. Some caps are much more tolerant of 50/60hz and others
are better at 20,000hz. Selecting those takes time and the cost
accountants slip in at some point...

That's very interesting.

Based on this random driver circuit:

http://www.ecnmag.com/sites/ecnmag.c...206-web(1).jpg

and looking at RS for 680uF around 50V electrolytics:

the 105C are around 50-70 pence
125C are around 130 pence
150C are 252 pence

There seems to be 1 big cap in that circuit - I don't have time now to
cost all of the electrolytics but this looks like a case of adding maybe
3 pounds would make the difference between a short life and a very long
life.

I suspect Philips use the good components - their LED bulbs seem to last
a long time (my tests are still pending) but they cost rather more than
3 pounds over the cheaper LEDs.

The things that kill electrolytic capacitors are ripple current and
ESR. If you double the capacitor size, the life dramatically increases
as the running temperature decreases. I once had a very nice DOS program
which forecast capacitor life extremely well based predominantly on
ripple current.

I see that Ford have had to add cooling fans to their infinite life LED
headlamps. I've never yet seen a fan with an infinite life!
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On 06/01/15 11:22, Adrian Tuddenham wrote:
For a given energy storage capacity, capacitors are smaller, lighter and
cheaper than metal-cored chokes, but it is a lot more difficult to make
them as reliable in the long term.

a very cogent and pertinent statement

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

In article , Arfa Daily
scribeth thus

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Arfa Daily wrote just the
puerile **** that always pours from the back of it when its got done like
a ****ing dinner, as it always is by everyone.

Everybody who matters knows exactly who I am. You are just not one who
*does* matter Rod. The email address is valid. I'm sure if you were clever
enough to be able to look it up, you could get me right down to a street
address. As for me writing puerile ****, the words pot, kettle and black
come to mind. Most of what you write is *total* **** that no one wants to
hear, and frequently tell you so. But you are so full of yourself and your
opinionated crap, that it all goes over your head. Much like certain other
of your countrymen, as soon as anyone dares to call you out on your mindless
pontifications, you just revert to type, and start screaming bucket-mouthed
abuse. Why don't you just do everyone a big favour, and **** off for another
six months like you often do. And where are you when you do disappear ? In
jail, with any luck ...

Arfa

- or Geoff, if you prefer

Don't know why you bother with him Arfa, just killfile the prat thats
what I did ages ago!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Adrian Tuddenham wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote

Ergo these days we rectify, smooth and chop and transform at much
higher freqs than 50hz to get power at different voltages or to achieve
current limiting. And that gets rid of 100hz flicker too..or should,

The flicker will only disappear if you use a large capacitor as
a storage element; usually this is found on the HV side of the
inverter. This brings back the reliability problem: it is asking
a lot of a big capacitor to survive for many years

PC power supplys done like that last fine.

when it is potentially exposed to occasional
mains glitches from one side

It isnt hard to stop those getting to the cap.

and continuously exposed to the
switching current waveform on the other.

That doesn’t happen either with the big cap.

For a given energy storage capacity, capacitors are smaller,
lighter and cheaper than metal-cored chokes, but it is a lot
more difficult to make them as reliable in the long term.

Yes, but in practice its long term enough with PC power supplys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Leif Neland wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Leif Neland wrote

So I hooked up the OBD-2 reader: Engine misfire cylinder 1.
I exchanged two "spark plug caps" which is really the
ignition coil and some electronics, one unit per cylinder.

Very unusual way to do things.

Here is the product page:

http://www.thansen.dk/product.asp?pn=-831477966

Price is USD 160, I got an used one for 24USD.

I have considered the Yaris but don't thing I'll ever get one
given that approach. I've got a Hyundai Getz myself but likely
won't be replacing it unless it breaks dramatically. The previous
VW Golf lasted me 35+ years and I only needed to replace that
when I was stupid enough to no do anything about a known
windscreen leak after a windscreen replacement and that
eventually rusted out the floor and I could be arsed fixing that.

Alas, now it needs a new back door, because wife didn't
see I parked the Landcruiser outside the garage :-(

Should be able to get one of those cheap too given that
most of the writeoffs would be at the other end of the car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Rod Speed wrote:

Adrian Tuddenham wrote

[...]
For a given energy storage capacity, capacitors are smaller,
lighter and cheaper than metal-cored chokes, but it is a lot
more difficult to make them as reliable in the long term.

Yes, but in practice its long term enough with PC power supplys.

....but not when the PSUs also have to fit into the cap of a light bulb
and under-cut the price of the nearest rival.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Rod Speed forklarede den 06-01-2015:
Leif Neland wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Leif Neland wrote

So I hooked up the OBD-2 reader: Engine misfire cylinder 1.
I exchanged two "spark plug caps" which is really the ignition coil and
some electronics, one unit per cylinder.

Very unusual way to do things.

Here is the product page:

http://www.thansen.dk/product.asp?pn=-831477966

Price is USD 160, I got an used one for 24USD.

I have considered the Yaris but don't thing I'll ever get one given that
approach.

I find it a good approach, omitting a distributor and 5 cables which
can be attacked by moisture.
Here everything high voltage is sitting nice and dry almost inside the
engine, below a plastic cover.

I've got a Hyundai Getz myself but likely
won't be replacing it unless it breaks dramatically. The previous
VW Golf lasted me 35+ years and I only needed to replace that
when I was stupid enough to no do anything about a known
windscreen leak after a windscreen replacement and that eventually rusted out
the floor and I could be arsed fixing that.

Alas, now it needs a new back door, because wife didn't see I parked the
Landcruiser outside the garage :-(

Should be able to get one of those cheap too given that
most of the writeoffs would be at the other end of the car.

I've sent off enquries to two dealers, including a whole car with front
damage for for 1000USD.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On 02/01/2015 14:56, Arfa Daily wrote:
EE Times article that came to me by email today

http://www.electronics-eetimes.com/e...s_id=222923405

Arfa

Some very interesting maths there certainly. Particularly how he comes
up with "a 25% failure rate" for LEDs.

I consider that a valid reason for disregarding anything he has to say
about the matter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Tim Watts forklarede:

As it happens, I will be using LEDs in a number of relatively open fittings
(GU10s ion the end of stalks, plenty of air), 3 very low power GU10s in
downlighters (2-3W range) as night lighting in the hall.

Consider using red leds for guide lights at night, it makes it easier
to go to sleep again if you have to get up at night.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On 06/01/15 20:12, Leif Neland wrote:
Tim Watts forklarede:

As it happens, I will be using LEDs in a number of relatively open
fittings (GU10s ion the end of stalks, plenty of air), 3 very low
power GU10s in downlighters (2-3W range) as night lighting in the hall.

Consider using red leds for guide lights at night, it makes it easier to
go to sleep again if you have to get up at night.

Leif

Very good idea! You can get coloured GU10s IIRC.

This will show through the front door glass (bedrooms are downstairs) so
we might get mistaken for a knocking shop, which would add some interest
to our daily humdrum lives
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On 05/01/2015 20:57, Leif Neland wrote:
The car only had run 460000km, not sure when, if ever, the spark plugs
had been changed.

That's pretty good - nearly half a million on one set of plugs.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

"Adrian Tuddenham" wrote in message
valid.invalid...
Rod Speed wrote:

Adrian Tuddenham wrote

[...]
For a given energy storage capacity, capacitors are smaller,
lighter and cheaper than metal-cored chokes, but it is a lot
more difficult to make them as reliable in the long term.

Yes, but in practice its long term enough with PC power supplys.

...but not when the PSUs also have to fit into the cap of a light bulb

Sure, but that doesn’t happen with the ones with an external power supply.

and under-cut the price of the nearest rival.

Happens in spades with PC power supplys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Leif Neland wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Leif Neland wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Leif Neland wrote

So I hooked up the OBD-2 reader: Engine misfire cylinder 1.
I exchanged two "spark plug caps" which is really the ignition
coil and some electronics, one unit per cylinder.

Very unusual way to do things.

Here is the product page:

http://www.thansen.dk/product.asp?pn=-831477966

Price is USD 160, I got an used one for 24USD.

I have considered the Yaris but don't thing
I'll ever get one given that approach.

I find it a good approach,

I don't.

omitting a distributor

No distributor in my Getz.

and 5 cables which can be attacked by moisture.

But much more expensive to fix than replacing a cable.

I've never had to replace a distributor, the most I
have ever had to do is replace the rotor for peanuts.

Here everything high voltage is sitting nice and dry
almost inside the engine, below a plastic cover.

I've got a Hyundai Getz myself but likely won't be replacing
it unless it breaks dramatically. The previous VW Golf lasted
me 35+ years and I only needed to replace that when I was
stupid enough to no do anything about a known windscreen
leak after a windscreen replacement and that eventually rusted
out the floor and I could be arsed fixing that.

Alas, now it needs a new back door, because wife didn't
see I parked the Landcruiser outside the garage :-(

Should be able to get one of those cheap too given that
most of the writeoffs would be at the other end of the car.

I've sent off enquries to two dealers, including
a whole car with front damage for for 1000USD.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

"Rod Speed"

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Arfa Daily wrote just the
puerile **** that always pours from the back of it when its got done
like
a ****ing dinner, as it always is by everyone.

Everybody who matters knows exactly who I am.

** Yeah - the grumpy old guy with a cigar hanging out his mouth...

I'm actually not Phil, but that grumpy old guy with a cigar hanging out of
his mouth is actually a good (online) friend of mine who I talk to pretty
much every day ... :-)

Arfa

.... Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Arfa Daily wrote just the
puerile **** that always pours from the back of it when its got done like
a ****ing dinner, as it always is by everyone.

You see ? There you go again. Nothing new to say, so hey, just say exactly
the same thing over again. Clever ? Not as such. And let's just analyze the
content, shall we ? "A gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind ..."

So, gutless ? Why would I need 'guts' to talk to a ****-headed moron like
you ? Desperately cowering ? Why in your wildest dreams would you believe
that anything you could do or say on here would make me desperate or want to
hide from you ? Using a nic ? So what ? Loads of people do. I've used it for
15 years or more. It's a bit of a laugh - too subtle for you of course, but
again, anyone who matters - that's not you - knows the story behind why I
use it. I don't 'hide' behind anything. As I said to you before, the email
address is valid, and I don't hide or change anything in the headers of
anything I post. If you are that desperate to know who I am, work it out.
But I suppose you are too thick to do that.

You are a total waste of space and bandwidth. Nobody is actually interested
in anything you have to say ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Arfa Daily
scribeth thus

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

Playing with him amuses me, Tony ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Arfa Daily wrote
Rod Speed wrote
William Sommerwerck wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Much more likely he doesn't actually have a ****ing clue about the
basics.

Arfa is an intelligent and knowledgeable person.

He clearly isn't on that particular question.

What particular question ?

The stupid claim that article he posted made about the
purported problem with a lot more components in a LED light instead of
the single one with the incandescent it replaced.

He didn't even notice that cars are MUCH more reliable than they used
to be even tho they have vastly more components than they
used to have. In spades with computer cpus and memory alone.

You are unbelievable.

We'll see...

How did you manage to extrapolate that mindless crap from my original
post ?

The article you mindlessly posted clearly claimed that when there are
lots more components in the LED light than in the incandescent light it
replaced, that that was absolutely certain to guarantee that it would
have a shorter life than the incandescent it replaced. Pigs arse it
does.

reams of your puerile **** any 2 year old could
leave for dead flushed where it belongs

Wahey ! And again. Nothing new to say, so just snip anything of relevance to
try and justify yourself, and then say the same thing over again. You really
are a ****in robot, aren't you ? Just do everybody a favour, and get back to
your kangaroo shagging ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

Everybody who matters knows exactly who I am.

** Yeah - the grumpy old guy with a cigar hanging out his mouth...

I'm actually not Phil, but that grumpy old guy with a cigar hanging out of
his mouth is actually a good (online) friend of mine who I talk to pretty
much every day ... :-)

** So you communicate with George Cole - err daily ?

..... Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 06 Jan 2015 18:55:32 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

Are those sideways less than more than symbols Carets? I thought that ^
is a carete and would such a caret before and after the URL work?

I think we've successfully demonstrated that the more trivial the
topic, the more attention it receives on Usenet.

For a personalized copy of my full confession for the capital crime of
using the wrong name, compounded by spelling it wrong, please send $1
to the address below.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've been a regular visitor to Hong Kong since 2010 and just returned from
the worlds largest LED lighting show again in October. I import
commercial retrofits that are years ahead of what is available (or
"hawked") here in the US. As such, I have quality products and I'm aware
of the crap that is out there. My background is in lighting, electronics,
television and cinema and I'm well aware of color temperature and lumens.
Unfortunately, the customer whose heart is in the right place is usually a
victim in cases like you describe. The hacks that sell LED retrofit
by-and-large have no clue as to what options are available as they only
re-sell what some distributor (or DIY store) has in stock. There are
success stories but most likely they are due to dumb luck and not any
engineering. Don't get me started on their lack of optical knowledge,
lumens, color temperature or the relationship of rods and cones to pupil
lumens, CRI, and the horrible spectral response of HPS lamps. I have
relations with over 30 vendors in China and I can't tell you how cool and
well-made the lamps are becoming.

Here is a brief overview of light and the eye:

Cones and Photopic vision- The central part of the eye is the fovea that
is rich in a type of cells called 'cones'. Cones are responsible for color
vision and are involved in vision during bright light. This is called
Photopic vision.

Rods and Scotopic vision-Rods are sensitive to dim light and are active
during low light intensity conditions. Rods cannot perceive color. Vision
due to rods is 'black and white.'

Light measuring instruments measure Light intensity in Lumens -
considering only the response of the cones. Thus, the Lumens measured by a
light meter are also called Photopic Lumens.

In conditions of low light intensity entire vision is due to rod cells
(scotopic vision). In medium light intensity (conditions as are often
found under street lights and in homes) vision is called Mesopic vision
and is due to both rods and cones. Using 'Photopic Lumens' to describe
light intensity in such an area grossly underestimates the light intensity
as it totally ignores the contribution of rod cells to vision.

And I hate CFLs, too.

Yours truly,

Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.

Interesting. I read that LPS street lighting is the most effectively
efficient lighting that there is in terms of (mesopic?) lumens per watt, as
the yellow colour lies close to the most sensitive frequency of the human
eye. For sure, the 40 watt LPS streetlights that were removed from my
village, to make way for some 45 watt high pressure discharge lamps with a
whiter output, were far - and I mean far - more effective at lighting the
street than these new ones, which produce harsh, sharply defined cones of
light, and leave pools of darkness between. One of the 'selling points' that
the local council published before the work was done, was that because the
light was 'whiter', colour rendition would be improved. That is actually not
true, because the overall light level that they produce, is not enough to
take your eye up into the colour perception range. They are also crap in
fog, compared to the LPS lamps that they replaced. To be honest, the yellow
light from LPS and golden light from HPS street lighting has never bothered
me. I've never really understood why colour rendition at night is of any
particular importance. Better I think that the air is 'saturated' with light
of any description, than to have lamps that produce concentrated 'patches'
of light that you might just about be able to see colour with, when you are
right underneath them.

I'm probably using wrong terms all over the place here, as I am no expert,
which clearly you are, but I'm sure you understand what I'm saying

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Arfa Daily wrote just the
puerile **** that always pours from the back of it when its
got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is by everyone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Arfa Daily wrote just the
puerile **** that always pours from the back of it when its
got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is by everyone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Arfa Daily wrote just the
puerile **** that always pours from the back of it when its got done like
a ****ing dinner, as it always is by everyone.

LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Arfa Daily wrote just the
puerile **** that always pours from the back of it when its got done like
a ****ing dinner, as it always is by everyone.

And you call me a ****wit. You are just a dopey saddo who everybody laughs
at. Go get a life, arsewipe.

Plonk ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Arfa Daily wrote just the
puerile **** that always pours from the back of it when its got done like
a ****ing dinner, as it always is by everyone.

****, thrice over ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

Everybody who matters knows exactly who I am.

** Yeah - the grumpy old guy with a cigar hanging out his mouth...

I'm actually not Phil, but that grumpy old guy with a cigar hanging out
of
his mouth is actually a good (online) friend of mine who I talk to pretty
much every day ... :-)

** So you communicate with George Cole - err daily ?

.... Phil

Ahhh ... I see where you are coming from now ! Arthur wasn't grumpy ! He
just had 'issues' with life, and Terry, of course ... :-)

It so happens that a good online friend of mine is a grumpy old git, and
always has a dirty great cigar hanging from his mouth, and one of the
pictures that he regularly uses, shows just that. I thought perhaps you had
confused him with me. He used to be a regular on here some years back, but
just lurks these days.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Arfa Daily wrote just the
puerile **** that always pours from the back of it when its
got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is by everyone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Arfa Daily wrote just the
puerile **** that always pours from the back of it when its
got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is by everyone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/01/15 05:03, Cydrome Leader wrote:

35 years old? That thing must have been belt driven.

Philips SL probably - 35 year old this year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact...scent_lamp.JPG

the panasonic ones looked similar, but with glass. As you can see from the
size, there's very few places the thing would even fit.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, January 2, 2015 at 11:29:24 AM UTC-8, mike wrote:

In the attic, I have about a hundred used incandescents, right
next to the hundred CFL's, right next to all the spare LED's
I bought but never used.

Use up the CFL's. Those have a small amount of radioactive fill
gas as their 'starter' and it has a half-life. It lasts maybe one
decade.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

He's just told me to tell you that he was the person that replied directly
to you by email, regarding your observations on the requirements of a signal
generator for mending group amps. He also informs me that he lurks because
the usenet client that he is currently using, refuses to let him post to
S.E.R. Curious ... :-\

Arfa

OT but interesting harry UK diy 6 October 3rd 11 10:05 PM
Believe me, This is Interesting N M Electronics Repair 4 March 16th 10 09:38 PM
Interesting....veddy interesting....OT of course. Rex Metalworking 11 November 16th 07 06:31 PM
Interesting....veddy interesting....OT of course. Rex Metalworking 0 November 8th 07 10:11 PM
Very interesting visual skill UK diy 0 January 11th 07 05:11 PM