Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom scale

Not a repair question but I hope trying to figure out why is not too far
OT.

I recently bought a bathroom scale of recent design, the kind with a
clear platform and four legs, with the near legs each connected by a
3/8" siltver tube to the front legs, which are connected to the display
etc. AIUI, the sensors are in each of the 4 legs.

When I first get on the scale, 2, 3 lower numbers flash by as it
eventually (but quickly) gets to what it says is my weight.

But if I get off, wait for the display to go blank, and get on again, it
goes straight to my weight. How can it do it without those
intermediate steps? It seems like it has memorized the previous
weight, maybe so that it can give the same weight and make people happy
(unlike how unhappy I was with a previous scale with which I could gain
or lose 4 pounds in 30 seconds.)

OTOH, if I pick up something weighing a pound or two, it does give a
higher weight.

So the only question is, When the weight is the same, how does it get to
the original weight faster?

BTW, it shows weight to the 10th of the pound. I don't expect it to be
accurate to the 10th of a pound, but if it's precise, I can still use
that digit for comparisons.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 20:34:43 -0500, micky
wrote:

So the only question is, When the weight is the same, how does it get to
the original weight faster?

Memory? Some digital scales, as I read, are for multiple family
members. Keeps data for each person. Is there a selection process -
person 1, 2, etc?

IDK
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
[...]

Hi,
IMO. digital stuffs when turned on needs power on initialization
sequence. I have luggage scale with a hook which acts same way.
Have to wait few seconds to be ready.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 19:20:32 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

micky wrote:
[...]

No, Oren, no separate memories for more than one person

Hi,
IMO. digital stuffs when turned on needs power on initialization
sequence. I have luggage scale with a hook which acts same way.
Have to wait few seconds to be ready.

I think you got it It starts right away, but can't come to a final
decision for a couple seconds.

Thanks, both of you.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

micky wrote:

I recently bought a bathroom scale of recent design, the kind with a
clear platform and four legs, with the near legs each connected by a
3/8" siltver tube to the front legs, which are connected to the display
etc. AIUI, the sensors are in each of the 4 legs.

** LOL - I found one exactly like that being chucked out a few weeks ago.

A good clean up and a new lithium cell soon got it working OK.

When I first get on the scale, 2, 3 lower numbers flash by as it
eventually (but quickly) gets to what it says is my weight.

But if I get off, wait for the display to go blank, and get on again, it
goes straight to my weight.

** My one does that kind of thing too.

I was puzzled why there was a piezo transducer mounted inside the unit next to the electronics - then I discovered the scales reacted to sharp sounds like tapping on the glass plate to active the display.

Funny how folk never place instruction books with throw away gadgets...

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2014 8:34 PM, micky wrote:
When I first get on the scale, 2, 3 lower numbers flash by as it
eventually (but quickly) gets to what it says is my weight.

But if I get off, wait for the display to go blank, and get on again, it
goes straight to my weight. How can it do it without those
intermediate steps? It seems like it has memorized the previous
weight, maybe so that it can give the same weight and make people happy
(unlike how unhappy I was with a previous scale with which I could gain
or lose 4 pounds in 30 seconds.)

Our Taylor 7506 behaves like that.
Wife has always suspected Taylor programmed it that way so that they would get the #1 spot in Consumer Reports.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

wrote:

So the only question is, When the weight is the same, how does it get to
the original weight faster?

Memory? Some digital scales, as I read, are for multiple family
members. Keeps data for each person. Is there a selection process -
person 1, 2, etc?

Maybe.

But the cynic in me suspects another reason.

Yes, memory, but there is logic to see if the new weighing is within a
pound (or 2) of the last (last 2 or 3?) weighing. If so, display the
old value. It would keep the displayed values within about 2% of each
other (for the same obsessive/compulsive person), and it would keep the
user from seeing different values and (mis)judging inaccuracies in the
device.

As in the Dilbert world, it was probably an engineering requirement
specified by the marketing department.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | Marvin | W3DHJ | linux
38.238N 104.547W | @ jonz.net | Jonesy | OS/2
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

We know it takes the thing some time to come up to speed. When person gets off the scale we turn off the display but keep the engine running for a minute or so just in case there is a multi person weighing-in session coming. Don't want the kiddies to have to wait do we...
If no one else steps upon the plate we switch off for good.

As in the Dilbert world, it was probably an engineering requirement
specified by the marketing department.

not a bad one IMHO

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

wrote:

So the only question is, When the weight is the same, how does it get to
the original weight faster?

Memory? Some digital scales, as I read, are for multiple family
members. Keeps data for each person. Is there a selection process -
person 1, 2, etc?

Maybe.

But the cynic in me suspects another reason.

Yes, memory, but there is logic to see if the new weighing is within a
pound (or 2) of the last (last 2 or 3?) weighing. If so, display the
old value. It would keep the displayed values within about 2% of each
other

Actually, they are exactly the same.

(for the same obsessive/compulsive person),

I only reweight myself because I noticed on the other scale it could
vary by 4 pounds in 10 seconds. Even Weight Watchers doesn't claim
that.

and it would keep the
user from seeing different values and (mis)judging inaccuracies in the
device.

Yes. And noticing that the weights for the same thing were not the
same. Like with my previous scale.

And it woudln't be hard to do what you say

That's the sort of thing I had in mind when I posted, but Tony's answer
accounts for it also.

As in the Dilbert world, it was probably an engineering requirement
specified by the marketing department.

Jonesy

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 10:29:12 -0500, Ro Tund
wrote:

On 12/31/2014 8:34 PM, micky wrote:
When I first get on the scale, 2, 3 lower numbers flash by as it

BTW, they are lower than the final number, but all only 10%, at most
20%, lower than the final number.

eventually (but quickly) gets to what it says is my weight.

But if I get off, wait for the display to go blank, and get on again, it
goes straight to my weight. How can it do it without those
intermediate steps? It seems like it has memorized the previous
weight, maybe so that it can give the same weight and make people happy
(unlike how unhappy I was with a previous scale with which I could gain
or lose 4 pounds in 30 seconds.)

Our Taylor 7506 behaves like that.
Wife has always suspected Taylor programmed it that way so that they would get the #1 spot in Consumer Reports.

That's 2 votes for their being sneaky, and 1 vote for it needing time to
warm up.

And I guess my vote is split, 1/2 - 1/2.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 00:59:17 -0500, micky
wrote:

I only reweight myself because I noticed on the other scale it could
vary by 4 pounds in 10 seconds. Even Weight Watchers doesn't claim
that.

Get one of these. I had one when I was losing weight about 25 years
ago. You won't ever need another scale. No guessing.
http://tinyurl.com/nhe76ap

bathroom scale shematic [email protected] Electronic Schematics 10 May 19th 09 12:07 AM
Scale of scale The Medway Handyman UK diy 1 December 17th 08 01:23 AM
OT - An Accurate Bathroom Scale Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 17 February 5th 08 12:12 AM
Scale Metalworking 14 March 31st 06 01:12 AM
The Definitive Chord & Scale Bible - Literally EVERY chord and scale! Kind of Blue 45114 Metalworking 0 February 8th 05 08:12 PM