southwest66

Default Proton 602M Color Monitor

Problem: won't come on; stays in standby mode. Local TV repair shops
don't want to bother with it. Yeah, it's old--1984--but hey, it worked
fine. I saw that there's a euras.com database for technicians that
even listed this problem for this model--is anyone out there familiar
with either the database or the solution? Is this worth fixing?

Thanks.

C.
chuck

This problem is usually caused by bad electrolytic caps in the power
supply, the switcher ic fails, the B+ diode to the ho transistor fails
( checks ok using an ohm meter), or the flyback has failed. Usually
if the flyback goes bad, you'll find an exploded electrolytic
capacitor near it. If the crt is still good, the set is worth
repairing. Most servicers don't have experience with Fulet/Proton
repair, I would suggest trying to find a store that sold these sets in
the mid 80s to assist you. Chuck