Randy Henson

Default Magnavox TV Picture Looks Scrambled

I have a magnavox 25 inch color tv (model 25P615-00AA), and in the
past couple of days it's started having picture trouble. Basically
the picture looks scrambled, after a few minutes it clears up (seems
to take longer to unscramble each time we turn it on). It's like it
has to warm up or something. Audio is fine. We haven't moved it or
anything, it just started happening.

Any help will be appreciated on what part may be causing this.

thanks
Randy
Sofie

Randy Henson:

Stop using the television until you get it fixed, otherwise this possibly
inexpensive repair can become much more involved and cost much more to fix.

I am assuming since (I know that is dangerous) you did NOT post any basic
technical troubleshooting results that you lack the necessary test
equipment, electronics knowledge and repair experience to get inside the
television and make proper and component tests and voltage measurements.
Inside your television are dangerous and lethal electrical shock hazards
that still may be present even when the television is turned off and
unplugged !

Now.... here are my guesses regarding the problem you are having with your
Magnavox television:
More than likely the problem you are seeing..... especially with the model
and chassis you have..... would be high esr electrolytics in the PS. ....
the usually culprit is the 100uf @ 200V unit.... and possibly others.....
testing them with an ESR meter is the best method.... without an ESR meter,
substitution and trial replacement of suspect electrolytics is the more time
consuming alternative. In addition there will probably be faulty, cracked,
cold, or otherwise failed solder connections around the high heat producing
components such as power resistors, diodes and semiconductors, chips,
H-driver xfmr, flyback, etc, etc. Of course, with out seeing the problem
for myself and not being able to do experienced and knowledgeable testing
with my test equipment.... and visual inspection, I am only guessing.

You might be best advised to take your television to a service shop for a
proper and safe repair.... or at the very least a repair cost estimate so
you can make an intelligent repair decision with facts instead of internet
guesses.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

snipped:
"Randy Henson" wrote in message
I have a magnavox 25 inch color tv (model 25P615-00AA), and in the
past couple of days it's started having picture trouble. Basically
the picture looks scrambled, after a few minutes it clears up (seems
to take longer to unscramble each time we turn it on). It's like it
has to warm up or something. Audio is fine. We haven't moved it or
Any help will be appreciated on what part may be causing this.
Randy

Sofie

Randy Henson / Vince:

Actually the 100uf @ 200V cap that usually causes this problem is NOT found
in the Horizontal Output Circuit but rather it is in the power supply
circuitry..... this cap is located near the center/rear of the circuit board
near the heat-sink for the for the 5 pin power supply B+ regulator.
While inside the television there are several other common faults with this
chassis that usually need attention: Near the suspect 100 uf capacitor are
several power resistors that get very warm, so they usually have cracked,
dry, faulty solder connections than need re-soldering..... and it is a very
good idea to resolder the 4 pins to the H-drive transformer.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie