Mike M

Default Zenith F585W record changer

I'm trying to repair an old record changer that is part of a compact
stereo system. When I got it the turntable wouldn't spin. Apparently
it was gummed up or something. After spraying some WD40 into the
turntable bushing I finally got it apart and now the thing almost
works. Now it is dropping the record on the tone arm. The tone arm
moves in too soon or the record drops too late.

Any ideas on what to look for and where? Too many moving parts for
me

Mike
Jerry G.

You sort of answered your own question. These turntables are
mechanically complex for someone who is not used to them. There are
radio and TV service shops that specialize in these types of repairs. If
you feel you really like your unit, you should give it out for
professional service, and have it done right. I am sure if you do some
research you will find someone who will do this for you.

I never use WD-40 in these types of motors, gears, and whatever. I
disassemble all the mechanics, clean all the parts, re-assemble, and
properly lubricate them where necessary. WD-40 makes a good un-seizing
lubrication for rusted bolts, or very heavy duty type lubrication in
industrial machinery, and etc. I never use it near electrical or
electronic devices. It is also highly flammable when it comes to
electrical applications. It can also damage electronic components.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm
Mike M wrote in message
I'm trying to repair an old record changer that is part of a compact
stereo system. When I got it the turntable wouldn't spin. Apparently
it was gummed up or something. After spraying some WD40 into the
turntable bushing I finally got it apart and now the thing almost
works. Now it is dropping the record on the tone arm. The tone arm
moves in too soon or the record drops too late.

Any ideas on what to look for and where? Too many moving parts for
me

Mike

LASERandDVDfan

WD-40 makes a good un-seizing
lubrication for rusted bolts, or very heavy duty type lubrication in
industrial machinery, and etc.

WD-40 isn't even great for those purposes.

It's a solvent, so it does work in unseizing stuck bolts, but it's terrible as
a lubricant and there are better penetrants for unseizing stuff.

WD-40 is primarily designed as a water displacer, hence the W and D. -
Reinhart
Ray Carlsen

The changer isn't worth the cost of a professional repair if it isn't
something simple. I was hoping someone could point me toward the area
that controls the timing of the tone arm movement and record drop or
point out common causes for the problem.

It might be simple if you've ever had one apart. Otherwise...
It has been decades since I worked on a record changer and I can't
visualize that one but, in general, only a few things cause problems: the
mechanism grease gets sticky and the rubber idler glazes over and slips. If
sticky grease is the problem, take it apart and wash it out with some kind
of solvent, then reassemble it. Sometimes a slipping idler can be buffed
with emory cloth and be made to work again... more often it must be
replaced.
Common trouble spots include a sticking cycle wheel (wash and relube
or just run it dry) and its components which include the end of record trip
change mechanism lever. The lead-in groove arm drop position is adjustable
on some changers but don't try to adjust out a fault caused by a gummy
mechanism. If the turntable slows down or stalls in mid-cycle, the idler is
probably bad. That's as far as my aged memory goes unless you can provide
a pix of the underside of that changer.

Ray