DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Audio receiver weirdness (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/37642-audio-receiver-weirdness.html)

George Earl August 6th 03 09:55 PM

Audio receiver weirdness

I have an 8-year-old Yamaha receiver.

1. Recently the digital display has been dropping out when the
receiver is in tuner mode (where it fills the window with settings).
The display will alternate between the normal display, being
completely empty, and having four dashes centered in the display. When
in CD, tape, and other modes where it displays just those characters
in the window it looks fine.

2. Controlling the receiver with its remote has also gotten weird. If
I turn on the receiver with the remote, the Input knob rotates back
and forth among the different choices and eventually settles randomly
on one of the options (phono, cd, tuner, tape, etc.). If I use the
remote to specify one of these options, i.e., tuner, the Input knob
bounces around a bit and eventually (but not always) settles on the
option I selected.

Any ideas what's causing these behaviors and how I might fix them?

Thanks!

George

George Earl August 6th 03 10:37 PM

Audio receiver weirdness

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:29:43 -0700, "Sofie" wrote:

George Earl:
I have repaired many Yamaha receiver over the years and only a few of their
models are similar in design, circuitry, and components. You really MUST
post a MODEL NUMBER if you are hoping for any kind of specific repair
suggestions.

Model number is Yamaha RX-595.

Thanks!

George

Mark D. Zacharias August 7th 03 10:52 AM

Audio receiver weirdness

Not sure about the display problem - could be solder connections.

The input selector is a notorious failure item on these. Not a
do-it-yourself type of repair for most people. The replacement selector
switch is an improved type.

Mark Z.

t.hoehler August 8th 03 03:41 AM

Audio receiver weirdness

"George Earl" wrote in message
Thanks for your response. I had higher expectations for Yamaha . . .

George

Hi guys, just thought I'd weigh in on this topic. What in heaven's name
happened to the humble compact stereo system? I was at Target the other day
looking at the stereos, it seems like flashing lights, dip stick designed
tone controls (!) and flimsy plastic knobs and buttons have replaced decent
sound and build quality. I know this crap is price point designed, but some
of this stuff was in the 150 - 200 buck range, not chump change. I'm not
talking about boom boxes, just small, shelf systems.
Ok, rant's over, feel much better! :o)

Regards,
Tom