Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Old Technics tuner, anyone ... ?

I thought I had the manuals for just about every common item Technics ever
produced, but not this one ...

Anyone got a PDF of the schematic for a Technics ST-X990L. Particularly
interested in the bit around the PSU

The arfa.daily email address that this was posted from works, in case anyone
can help

TIA

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't know specifically, but will check my service manuals on CD for this one.
Any particular problem you are addressing? I may also have service bullitens.

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
I don't know specifically, but will check my service manuals on CD for
this one.
Any particular problem you are addressing? I may also have service
bullitens.

Dan

It has no 'proper' output. A bit of hum-y noise and that's it. Display is
normal. Appears to tune normally, but I'm sure it isn't. Looks like a PSU
problem or maybe a rail getting dragged down somewhere by a leaky rail
decoupling cap as used to be common on all sorts of Pan gear back in the
day. I picked one of the IF processor chips at random and looked up the data
sheet on it to find the Vcc pin. The sheet claimed a Vcc of 14 volts, but
there's actually only about 5 volts on the pin. I tried following the print
back, but it rapidly starts jumping around the board on wire links and print
'splits'. It's really not worth spending the time on trying to trace where
the rail comes from, and what decouplers are hanging across it, but it would
of course be a very simple fix with the benefit of a schematic. If all else
fails, I can get a download copy for $4.99 of the 'net, but cheapskate as I
am ... d;-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

HIFIENGINE.COM has teh ST-x999l model. Close enough? Create an account for yourself and look in the manual section under Technics (Panasonic is also there, but does not have these).

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Have you checked the power supply bulk capacitors for a high esr cap? Sure
sounds like it could be an issue.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
HIFIENGINE.COM has teh ST-x999l model. Close enough? Create an account
for yourself and look in the manual section under Technics (Panasonic is
also there, but does not have these).

Dan

I've already got a HiFiEngine account. I'll go look. Thanks. In the meantime
I have been sent a photo by Nigel. Haven't had a chance to have a close look
at it yet to see if the voltages etc are readable

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Tom Miller" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

First check, always. Nothing jumping out. Main rail off the reccy is there
and looks about as ripple-free as you would expect pre the regulators ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Tom Miller" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Ok, yes. Knowing you, that was a dumb question. Good luck.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I'll still look on the CDs too. Just thought of the website.

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

First check, always. Nothing jumping out. Main rail off the reccy is
there and looks about as ripple-free as you would expect pre the
regulators ...

Arfa

Ok, yes. Knowing you, that was a dumb question. Good luck.

Why thank you kind sir ! Very nice of you to say so :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
I'll still look on the CDs too. Just thought of the website.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Appreciate the effort.

Arfa