Dave D

Default How to fix tape eating VCR

wrote in message
How does one fix a VCR that eats tapes. I know the problem is
mechinical, but how in the heck do I test the thing? Do I need to
purchase a gross of blank tapes for the machine to eat while I repair
it? Or, does someone make an unbreakable tape to use for testing?

Mark

No, just wind the eaten tape back in and reuse it for testing. Try not to
allow the damaged part to contact the heads, you may need to wind the tape
on by hand to achieve this.

Open the VCR, insert a tape and watch very carefully what happens. When it
laces up, make sure it does so cleanly. Press play, does the tape get drawn
through the pinch roller/capstan properly, or does it ride up and crease? Is
the take up spool (the right side tape spool) rotating? These are the first
things to check. If the pinch roller seems to cause the fault, clean it
thoroughly by hand (a head cleaning tape is no good). If the take up spool
is sticking check clutch/belt/idler. Eject the tape. Prior to the tape
starting the eject, the spool should rotate and wind the tape back in as it
unlaces, does this happen?

On the very scant info you give, it is impossible to be more specific. Post
the make, model number and your diagnostic findings and the chances are
someone in the group will lead you straight to the fault.

Dave