DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Building a treehouse in the redwood grove of a neighbor (pics included) (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/374662-re-building-treehouse-redwood-grove-neighbor-pics-included.html)

Lew Hodgett[_6_] October 1st 14 01:37 AM

Building a treehouse in the redwood grove of a neighbor (pics included)

"Danny D." wrote:

Only that each cable supports 14,000 pounds!

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

In days of yore I worked as a design engineer for heavy duty
steel mill and foundry equipment, but that was then and this is now.

For designs involving steel cable and human safety, the basic
safety factor applied was 5.

IOW, 14,000/5 = 2,800 pounds as the basic design limit.

Dynamic loading would apply another 50% derate.

IOW, 2,800*50% = 1,400 pounds for dynamic loads.

Based on the posts I have seen, your group needs some
serious help before people get hurt or worse.

Lew Hodgett, PE Retired

What I forgot to include was that the above design loads are for
tensile loads.

Bending loads require a further derate.

The reader is left to determine the value from any decent
structural engineering text.

And now you know one of the reasons why I'm retired.

Lew Hodgett, PE Retired

Stormin Mormon[_10_] October 1st 14 01:40 AM

On 9/30/2014 8:37 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
IOW, 14,000/5 = 2,800 pounds as the basic design limit.

Dynamic loading would apply another 50% derate.

Bending loads require a further derate.

The reader is left to determine the value from any decent
structural engineering text.

And now you know one of the reasons why I'm retired.

Lew Hodgett, PE Retired

Sounds like not much fort, at derate we're going.

--
..
Christopher A. Young