mike

Default What to clean copier OPC drum? Harden soft rubber?

I have a Canon PC25 photocopy machine I'd like to patch up.

The rubber roller in the paper path has turned
to mush. I cleaned it off and replaced the
rubber part with a stack of O-rings.
Problem now is that the OPC drum has rubber
residue on it. That ruins the copy at the edge.

What can I clean it with?

I've used isopropyl alcohol in the past, but I
remember that some of the drums won't stand
for that.
What can I use to clean the drum on this Canon PC25?

There's a second roller down the chain that's also
very soft. It's still holding it's shape. Is there
anything I can put on it to harden it? I'd put O-rings on
it too, but I can't get access without major disassembly.

I'd just change the rollers, but they're integral
with the gear and maybe even the whole assembly...and it's
underneath a lot of other stuff.

I tried pulling the roller/gear off the axle and it won't
come. Major disassembly required to get it out where I
can work on it.

Suggestions for a quick and dirty fix for a copier that
does maybe 30 copies a year?

roller pix:
http://nm7u.tripod.com/r1.jpg
http://nm7u.tripod.com/r2.jpg

Thanks, mike
return address is good, don't change it.
400cc Dirt Bike 2003 miles $495
Police Scanner, Color LCD overhead projector
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

GregS

In article , "johnnie7" wrote:
try something like WD40 oil or simliar ....methalated spirts as a last
resort

Sometimes baking the rubber will drive the liquids out and harden them up.

spray onto your cloth and rub a small section ...dont linger on 1 area...
the drum suface is very thin ...youll wear out the coating if you rub 2 hard
ohh
and member that the drum is light sensitive....you need work fast and in
very low light

enjoy
john