LASERandDVDfan

Default Magnavox Projection TV in a flood

Does anyone agree with this or could it something else. Unfortunately
my manual says the schematics would be provided in the next update
which I don't have.

The only advice I can offer is to take apart and clean the affected parts. Use
a good aerosol circuit cleaner spray as there could be mineral deposits from
the flood water that can cause problems. You may also want to look around for
cold solder joints. You may also want to consider replacing the old coolant
and, if required, cleaning out the lens assemblies according to the
television's service literature, even if you don't see any problems. -
Reinhart
Bill Jr

Tom,
Your diagnosis seems to be correct.
Just an added tidbit, if the coolant chambers for the CRT's are clear and
free of any algae then leave them alone.
I'll try to look up the part number for the G2/Focus block when I get to
work tomorrow.
It would be really helpful to have the model number as they used a variety
of different CRT's with different models and they require different levels
of focus/G2.

Good Luck,
Bill Jr

"Tom" wrote in message
om...
Someone we know had a flood and their Magnavox PTV500 Series was in
it. Covered by insurance they received a new one and I took the old
before the garbage man got it. The tv was off but plugged in, so
everthing powered by the standby voltage cooked and fell off the
board. I bought the repair manual from Philips for $30 and $50 worth
of parts that were obviously damaged. I replaced them but didn't have
it working yet and it sat for about 6 years. I finally got back to it
and found the final 1/4watt 15 ohm resistor that was open circuited.
This is the resistor that feeds the standby circuit of the power
supply. Turned it on and YES it worked great. No fluid bacteria that I
read about on the newsgroup which is suprising because it spent its 6
years in a damp basement. So the TV works great until summer comes
and the basement gets humid. The focus goes out and then clears after
the TV warms up. It slowly gets worse. Now when you turn it on only
the blue gun comes on and it flickers when one of the high voltage
cables going into the High Voltage distribution block shows some
arcing. As it warms the arcing stops and the green gun will come on
and then after much time the red. After a day of being on it looks
good but no perfect. I can point a small space heater at the boards
and within an hour the TV look like new with a great in focus full
color picture. Now the flood water came up about half way on all the
boards. About a foot high. This would put the high voltage
distribution block under water and there was dirt left on the boards.
I am thinking that the high voltage distribution block is the cause.
This is where the RGB focus and convergence pots are. Turning the
heater off causes the picture to get fuzzy but the color holds.
Turning the tv off for a short while causes it to go back to just blue
and then slowy comes back unless I leave the heater on.

Does anyone agree with this or could it something else. Unfortunately
my manual says the schematics would be provided in the next update
which I don't have.

Thanks for your opinions!
Tom

Mike

I wouldnt run it anymore, untill you get that block replaced. Cause, if you
let it go, the block will eventually short, taking out the HOT, possibly
flyback. and youll have a whole mess of trouble.

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

Non-huge parliament or projection hinge: exists? Michael Brewer UK diy 1 March 26th 04 06:08 PM
Student help - Magnavox projection TV RD851-8AK04 Scott McDonnell Electronics Repair 0 July 28th 03 03:31 AM
Flood Damage BigWallop UK diy 2 July 27th 03 09:59 PM
Question on Wide Screen Rear Projection Confused in Illinois Electronics Repair 2 July 26th 03 06:40 PM