Charles Schuler

Default Fluke meter recommendation

"Lenny" wrote in message
m...
My son who works with me in my electronics service business is
presently enrolled in an Electronics Technology course at the local
College. I introduced him to test equipment by getting him a used 260
and a new cheapo hand held digital from Harbor Freight, just so that
he could "get his feet wet". He's a hard worker, and a good boy and
now I would like to do something special for him. He has asked for a
Fluke portable meter with a case for his birthday. Although I own
older model Fluke and HP bench meters, I rarely have a need for them
in my work so with the large selection of new Fluke portables
available frankly I'm stumped as the what is the best deal on a decent
service meter for the money. Thanks for any advice. Lenny Stein.

This looks good to me. No, I don't work for Fluke.

110 Series Features
True-RMS AC voltage and current for accurate readings on all waveforms
6000 count display provides improved resolution
Min/Max/Average recording
Frequency, capacitance & resistance capabilities
112 has a backlight to illuminate the screen in dark workspaces
Easy access battery door to change the battery without breaking the
calibration seal
Drop protected to 1 meter
Holster with probe holders for better test lead management
Compatible with ToolPakT meter hanging kit
Compact & lightweight for use on the go
IEC CAT III 600V safety rating
3-year warranty

Jeff

"Lenny" wrote in message
m...
My son who works with me in my electronics service business is
presently enrolled in an Electronics Technology course at the local
College. I introduced him to test equipment by getting him a used 260
and a new cheapo hand held digital from Harbor Freight, just so that
he could "get his feet wet". He's a hard worker, and a good boy and
now I would like to do something special for him. He has asked for a
Fluke portable meter with a case for his birthday. Although I own
older model Fluke and HP bench meters, I rarely have a need for them
in my work so with the large selection of new Fluke portables
available frankly I'm stumped as the what is the best deal on a decent
service meter for the money. Thanks for any advice. Lenny Stein.

Lenny you realy did not say what type of work your
son will be using the meter for, and that would help
a lot in choosing one.
But the 20, 70, 80 series are good meters.
Jeff

Engineer

Lenny wrote:

My son who works with me in my electronics service business is
presently enrolled in an Electronics Technology course at the local
College. I introduced him to test equipment by getting him a used 260
and a new cheapo hand held digital from Harbor Freight, just so that
he could "get his feet wet". He's a hard worker, and a good boy and
now I would like to do something special for him. He has asked for a
Fluke portable meter with a case for his birthday. Although I own
older model Fluke and HP bench meters, I rarely have a need for them
in my work so with the large selection of new Fluke portables
available frankly I'm stumped as the what is the best deal on a decent
service meter for the money. Thanks for any advice. Lenny Stein.

I am very happy with the Fluke 111 I use at home. I have no
affiliation with Fluke but we do use them at the lab.

Cheers,

Roger
--
Roger Jones, P.Eng.
Thornhill, Ontario,

"Friends don't let friends vote Liberal"
James Sweet

I have a 29 that's excellent, however I need new fuses for it, both current
measuring fuses are blown, where's a good place to order new ones?
"Bob M." wrote in message
The 187 and 189 meters are their top-of-the-line and are probably

replacing
many of the 80 series. The 189 can log about 1000 readings internally -
that's the only difference between the two. They retail for almost $400

but
sometimes you will find them on eBay for half that. I jumped on the

auction
at that price for a 189, then sold my 18-month-old 187 to a friend for the
same amount.

However, there are also things to be said for a good old 260. Hopefully he
will end up with both !

Bob M.
======
"Alan Harriman" wrote in message
On 28 Jul 2003 18:50:28 -0700, (Lenny)

wrote:

My son who works with me in my electronics service business is
presently enrolled in an Electronics Technology course at the local
College. I introduced him to test equipment by getting him a used 260
and a new cheapo hand held digital from Harbor Freight, just so that
he could "get his feet wet". He's a hard worker, and a good boy and
now I would like to do something special for him. He has asked for a
Fluke portable meter with a case for his birthday.

The Fluke 87 III is an excellent meter. Especially useful is its peak

hold
feature, a must for troubleshooting shutdown circuits. They retail for

about
$350, but can often be found on ebay for $200 or less. See

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...sult&SortPrope
rty=MetaEndSort&ht=1&query=fluke+87+III

Alan Harriman

Does anyone have this gas meter installed in their home? tarquinlinbin UK diy 6 April 22nd 05 10:12 AM
Electricity Meter Scott UK diy 13 August 4th 04 06:55 PM
Moving electricity meter, cutout and consumer unit nospam UK diy 2 July 26th 04 08:06 PM
water meter set aside plans dave @ stejonda UK diy 10 March 19th 04 11:59 PM
Can you measure Impedance with an Ohm Meter....... Verdons Electronics Repair 9 July 19th 03 06:16 PM