Imran

Default Help please RCA Receiver RT2280 - No sound

Mark,

I have been having exactly the same problem. The sound works fine when
I turn off the DSP.
I read you response on two posts and gather that you may have some
expertise on this.
Would you care to share how you came to this conclusion and if you
know of any specific work arounds?

Thanks,
Imran.

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message arthlink.net...
Lots of DSP board failures on these. Good luck with that.

Mark Z.

"Sean Piper" wrote in message
I have a one-year old RCA RT2280 surround system. Yesterday all of a

sudden
it stopped producing sound. I checked all the obvious problems like mute,
cables, speaker connections and so forth but was unable to get it working.

made sure the input and output settings were correct and they are. If

anyone
has any ideas about this problem please email . I would
really appreciate any help you can off as I cannot afford to take it in

and
will only do so if absolutely necessary.

Sean

Mark D. Zacharias

Hello,

I'm not actually an expert on the RT-2280, but I am an authorized RCA
servicer, and I hear stuff and have seen posts on this model before.There
was one servicer who was able to troubleshoot a bad feedthrough connection,
which I would usually be too lazy to bother with.
I would say that the numerous feedthrough connections on the DSP board are
the likely cause of many DSP failures - the physical quality of these boards
doesn't seem too good. Of course the general soldering of the board and it's
connectors should be checked, and one could try resoldering any large IC's -
those surface-mounts sometimes need resoldering.

Mark Z.

om...

"Sean Piper" wrote in message
I have a one-year old RCA RT2280 surround system. Yesterday all of a

sudden
it stopped producing sound. I checked all the obvious problems like

mute,
cables, speaker connections and so forth but was unable to get it

working.
made sure the input and output settings were correct and they are. If

anyone
has any ideas about this problem please email . I

would
really appreciate any help you can off as I cannot afford to take it

in
and
will only do so if absolutely necessary.

Sean

Imran

Mark,

Thanks for your response.

I have couple of more questions for you.

If one were to try to repair this problem and assuming that the
failure is in the DSP, how much would it typically cost to do the
repair.

Does the repair involve replacing the DSP board? Is it like just a
single board that is removed and replaced or does it involve replacing
number of other components.

Is it something one can do if one has a basic skills in soldering? Are
there any manuals with instructions with what to do (like which
IC/capacitor to resolder/replace)?

I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions.

Regards,
Imran

"Sean Piper" wrote in message
I have a one-year old RCA RT2280 surround system. Yesterday all of a

sudden
it stopped producing sound. I checked all the obvious problems like

mute,
cables, speaker connections and so forth but was unable to get it

working.
made sure the input and output settings were correct and they are. If

anyone
has any ideas about this problem please email . I

would
really appreciate any help you can off as I cannot afford to take it

in
and
will only do so if absolutely necessary.

Sean

Mark D. Zacharias

I'll have to research the board cost at work. Availability of these boards
is usually limited.

I don't think any soldering is required, but I could be wrong - it's been a
while since I've seen the inside of one of these.

Mark Z.