Paul Burridge

Default Laptop display fault

Hi all,

I have a Compaq Armada 1750 laptop and the display's developed an
intermittent fault which at times is bad enough to make the screen
totally unreadable. It doesn't seem to be temperature related and can
happen at any time. The most noticeable problem is kind of like
slender, white, verticle streaks going down the screen which flicker
and vary in intensity. At worst, the whole screen apart from the top
quarter inch along the top becomes whited out. Anyone have any idea
what might be the cause of this problem or how to fix it?

Thanks,

p.
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill
Dave D

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message
news

Hi all,

I have a Compaq Armada 1750 laptop and the display's developed an
intermittent fault which at times is bad enough to make the screen
totally unreadable. It doesn't seem to be temperature related and can
happen at any time. The most noticeable problem is kind of like
slender, white, verticle streaks going down the screen which flicker
and vary in intensity. At worst, the whole screen apart from the top
quarter inch along the top becomes whited out. Anyone have any idea
what might be the cause of this problem or how to fix it?

Thanks,

Could be stress fracture in the glass, could be failing driver circuitry.
Either way, probably needs a new panel. There are companies who do component
level repairs to LCDs, but they certainly aren't cheap. However, damaged
glass cannot be repaired, you'd need a whole LCD assembly.

Dave

Scott McDonnell

It could just be a stressed cable going to the LCD panel. Might be loose,
also. This was the problem with my friend's Dell. His dad gave it to him
because he thought it was broken and I fixed it within 10 minutes of him
showing it to me. Try putting pressure on the top of the case near the
hinges (above the keyboard) and see if it clears up at all.

Scott McDonnell

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message
news

Hi all,

I have a Compaq Armada 1750 laptop and the display's developed an
intermittent fault which at times is bad enough to make the screen
totally unreadable. It doesn't seem to be temperature related and can
happen at any time. The most noticeable problem is kind of like
slender, white, verticle streaks going down the screen which flicker
and vary in intensity. At worst, the whole screen apart from the top
quarter inch along the top becomes whited out. Anyone have any idea
what might be the cause of this problem or how to fix it?

Thanks,

p.
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill

Dave D

"Scott McDonnell" wrote in message
It could just be a stressed cable going to the LCD panel. Might be loose,
also. This was the problem with my friend's Dell. His dad gave it to him
because he thought it was broken and I fixed it within 10 minutes of him
showing it to me. Try putting pressure on the top of the case near the
hinges (above the keyboard) and see if it clears up at all.

Scott McDonnell

Hmm, I forgot to ask about the cable.

Paul- do the lines change/move when adjusting the angle of the panel? Can
you bring the fault on by 'exercising' the hinges?

Dave

Scott McDonnell

Paul,

Hmm..."whited out"... this is the part that gets me. A whited out area would
mean that the LCD crystals in that area are being turned *on*, usually LCD
faults
work the opposite way (blacked out.) Without seeing it for myself, I would
gather
that there is some kind of problem in the video adapter. That's worse cast
scenario.

Everything else also sounds a lot like the problem I had with my IBM
Thinkpad. It was the backlight that needed replaced. Do you have a key on
you keyboard to switch between the LCD and an external monitor? Try
switching it when trouble strikes. This turns off the backlight and then
triggers it again when you switch it back. If it helps (even just for a few
seconds) it may be the lamp.

Also, like Dave mentioned, if you are not squimish about opening the laptop,
do as he suggested. Usually, you can get to the LCD cable by gently prying
up the panel above the keyboard. There may be a screw or two on the back at
the hinges. Lay the LCD as flat as possible before pulling up the plastic
panel.

If none of these things work for you, then you may need to check ebay for a
replacement LCD or start shopping for a new laptop. If it isn't the LCD,
cabling, or backlight then the necessary repair would likely be very
expensive (not that replacement LCDs are cheap!)

Scott
"Paul Burridge" wrote in message
news

Hi all,

I have a Compaq Armada 1750 laptop and the display's developed an
intermittent fault which at times is bad enough to make the screen
totally unreadable. It doesn't seem to be temperature related and can
happen at any time. The most noticeable problem is kind of like
slender, white, verticle streaks going down the screen which flicker
and vary in intensity. At worst, the whole screen apart from the top
quarter inch along the top becomes whited out. Anyone have any idea
what might be the cause of this problem or how to fix it?

Thanks,

p.
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill

Dave D

Paul,

Hmm..."whited out"... this is the part that gets me. A whited out area

would
mean that the LCD crystals in that area are being turned *on*, usually LCD
faults

Actually, LCDs pixels are white when they aren't energised, and black when
they are. A dead panel with a working backlight will appear white, not
black. IOW, A LCD element is normally transparent and becomes opaque when
it is charged, not vice versa.

Dave

Paul Burridge

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 01:46:16 +0000 (UTC), "Dave D"
wrote:

If you feel comfortable dismantling the screen bezel, (take care, it's not
too hard to crack thin bezels!) check the cable is seated properly in the
connector. Also check the other end where it connects to the motherboard
(sometimes they go to an intermediate pcb). If it does go to an intermediate
pcb, check that is seated correctly.

All this is likely fruitless though, lines usually indicate a fault in the
circuits which address the actual TFT elements, a very tricky and expensive
repair. I'm not familiar with the model, so I can't really comment on the
viability of a professional repair.

Thanks, Dave. it's a shame as often in the past I've given up on stuff
and junked it only to find later that the fault was simple and readily
repairable. Oh well....
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill
scada

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message
news

Thanks, Dave D,

No, I can't bring it on by wiggling the hinge area, or putting
pressure on any surface close to it. For some reason today, it hasn't
even flickered once. And yet yesterday it was virtually totally
unusable. I guess that's in the nature of intermittent faults. :-(
Any ideas?
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill

I had a similar problem with my Compaq laptop. The flat ribbon cable that
connects the mother board to the LCD screen is mounted near the cover hinge
assembly. The cable had worn through! Good old Compaq ONLY wanted $100 USD
for a replacement (6" , 6 conductor cable!). I made my own - $0.50

Paul Burridge

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:41:24 GMT, "scada"
wrote:

I had a similar problem with my Compaq laptop. The flat ribbon cable that
connects the mother board to the LCD screen is mounted near the cover hinge
assembly. The cable had worn through! Good old Compaq ONLY wanted $100 USD
for a replacement (6" , 6 conductor cable!). I made my own - $0.50

Interesting! How does one gain access to it?

HD foam for laptop case? T i m UK diy 42 April 23rd 04 03:59 PM
Semi OT Electrical Question John Moorhead Woodworking 41 April 9th 04 07:22 PM
Indesit washing machine fault Chris Allmark UK diy 7 February 17th 04 10:13 AM
Laptop LCD backlight problem -=Erx=- Electronics 3 January 25th 04 09:20 PM
fault codes for indesit washing machine Jackie Carupie UK diy 1 September 9th 03 10:42 PM