Alex

Default problem with a TEAC CD-Z500

When I insert a CD in the tray :

1- the drawer closes perfectely ... no problem,
2- there are no interlock switch on this model
3- the pickup assembly reset to the starting point to the inner center
track of disc with no problem,

servo circuitry sounds ok...

4- the laser pickup assembly move freely and smoothly on the track,
5- THE PICKUP LASER DO NOT FOCUS AT ALL WITH OR WITHOUT A DISC (CD),
6- NO RED SPOT WHEN I VIEW THE LENS FROM AN OBLIQUE ANGLE DURING FOCUS
SEARCH

either the supply to the laser diode is missing or the laser pickup itself
is faulty.
motor wont start unless focus lock is achieved. if I had to make a blind
guess
without a service manual, I'd say the laser is shot.

alex.

7- NO SPINNING MOTOR ACTION

) wrote in message . com...
Hello,

I have got a TEAC CD-Z500 (esoteric) compact disc player that refuse
to play. It stops working during the play back repeating mode (playing
same track during 1 hour).

When I insert a CD in the tray :

1- the drawer closes perfectely ... no problem,
2- there are no interlock switch on this model
3- the pickup assembly reset to the starting point to the inner center
track of disc with no problem,

3a- the laser beam goes on for 4 sec and shut down
4- the laser pickup assembly move freely and smoothly on the track,
5- THE PICKUP LASER DO NOT FOCUS AT ALL WITH OR WITHOUT A DISC (CD),
6- NO RED SPOT WHEN I VIEW THE LENS FROM AN OBLIQUE ANGLE DURING FOCUS
SEARCH
7- NO SPINNING MOTOR ACTION

I checked the following:

1- I clean the lens,
2- no broken or damaged gear theeth anywhere,
3- the drawer close completely and freely,
4- the (path) track is clean and freely,
5- all flat cables and connectors OK,
6- sloder joints OK
6- my CD (disc) is clean with no scratch on it
7- power transformer seem very hot but everything light (display,
motor tray OK),
8- the DACs (2x) on the audio PCB (at left of the pickup) runs hot
9- voltage according to regulators (7805, 7905, 7815 = OK)

There are the following parts in the servo control:

STA341M IC motor P/N array driver
NJM4565L ???
LA6500 regulators (no info ??? on voltage output in the power supply
section).

I checked all transistors and resistors including low resistors values
= everything looks OK!
There is an optical sensor under the laser pickup assembly,
and the laser pickup part number is a Sony number KSS150. Funny
thing, all parts on the PCB board are SONY! (pcb located right of the
picup assembly)

No service manual, schematic, or data info ..service manual is 85$$
too expensive for me. TEAC customer service is really bad!

Anybody knows this model and trouble associated ... someone can help
me ...

Thanks a lot!

Mike

Alex

3a- the laser beam goes on for 4 sec and shut down

Manually (with power off), guide the sled gear so that the laser pickup
is at the outter edge of the disc. Start the unit and observe.

If the laser diode comes on after the pickup has reset to the inner side,
whilst the laser lens is
ramping up and down, this is normal. Check (with the power off), to make
sure
the spindle motor isnt jammed/sticky. other than that, laser pickups can
still be faulty
even if a glow can be seen from it. Perhaps its intensity/gain is too low
and
it is unable to see the disc. generally, servo faults are not very common.
most
circuitry is pretty robust. Try bending the flexi cable from the pickup just
before
it begins to check for the disc. If the unit springs back to life, then the
problem is pretty obvious.
Continutity tests do not always eliminate the possibility of a flexi cable
being faulty, because it could
going open circuit only on a certain angle.

Sony Pickups are not really of great quality, the newer Sharp pickups have
been the worstly
constructed ones I have ever seen, and they drop like flies. Have a look to
see if the lens has sagged
all the way to the bottom. This is another sign.U can check this by lightly
(very lightly)
pressing on the *side* of the laser lens (with a blunt pointed tool) and see
if it does down
any further. This can cause servo IC's to get hot because it has to
constantly work to keep the lens
at the correct height. Worn motors which are drawing more current than
usual, will cause servo
circuitry to run hot.

I still think your culprit is a flexi cable or laser.

Theres not likely to be a "quick fix" that anyone can suggest, and you say
that
you have cleaned the laser lens, and checked the basic stuff, you're going
to have to start buying parts or at least a service manual.

Alex.