Bart³omiej Zarzycki

Default ATX Power Supp. service

How or where I can find some documents for repair atx power suppliers ?

I planning to buy power supplier which I have repair documents and save
money and natural environment in future.

I already have CODEGEN 300x1 300W (broken)

Dave D

"Bart³omiej Zarzycki" wrote in message
How or where I can find some documents for repair atx power suppliers ?

I planning to buy power supplier which I have repair documents and save
money and natural environment in future.

I already have CODEGEN 300x1 300W (broken)

Repairing ATX PSUs is IMO often a pointless endeavour, given the low cost of
replacements, and the amount of damage a faulty one can do to a PC. If it is
blown, ie switching transistors shorted, dispose of it, it isn't worth it.
If I have time on my hands I will sometimes repair PSUs with startup
faults, but anything more serious goes to the dump.

Dave

Jerry G.

Given the low cost of replacements, the complexity of them, the high
cost of parts handling and labour, the manufactures do not support
service on them. They will not supply parts or service information.
There is no infostructure on their part for this.

You can buy these supplies cheaper than the labour to service them. A
descent tech in the US must be paid about $20 to $30 an hour. If you
count his time for a few hours of work on each supply and the parts, and
even without considering the business overhead, you can buy a new supply
for much less!

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm
"Bart³omiej Zarzycki" wrote in message
How or where I can find some documents for repair atx power suppliers ?

I planning to buy power supplier which I have repair documents and save
money and natural environment in future.

I already have CODEGEN 300x1 300W (broken)

Cher

Not to mention the fact that switching PS are black magic.
If you don't put the EXACT replacement part in it, no telling what
will happen.
Digi Man

I repair them (except the complettely fried ones).
Most ATX suffer in the +5Vsb power generation.
The +5Vsb is a complete small SMPS. Very offen it brokes (high ESR cap) and
it you have not a 7805 inside the PSU, you'll get probably a fried
motherboard,keyboard and some times PCI cards!.

The working period is not very long because of excessive heat produced by
the stand by work.
When power is off for at least 30 minutes, and caps gets cold... Then when
power is back on the +5Vsb will become up to +40Vsb (except the presense of
7805).

Even expensive brand models suffer from this issue.

to stabilize it after the +5Vsb SMPS
"Bart³omiej Zarzycki" wrote in message
How or where I can find some documents for repair atx power suppliers ?

I planning to buy power supplier which I have repair documents and save
money and natural environment in future.

I already have CODEGEN 300x1 300W (broken)

Bart³omiej Zarzycki

In my case power supplier was broken by starting PC+screen, then my UPS
was congested and automaticly turn off power for PC+screen (power in
walls was off for some reason). I have quite large screen (17")

Next I tray again to start PC+screeen form UPS, then them started for a
second and stop again. That situation was repeated several times and
after that I smell burning from back of casing of my PC (power supplier
or some part of power supplier was burning).

I repair them (except the complettely fried ones).
Most ATX suffer in the +5Vsb power generation.
The +5Vsb is a complete small SMPS. Very offen it brokes (high ESR cap) and
it you have not a 7805 inside the PSU, you'll get probably a fried
motherboard,keyboard and some times PCI cards!.

The working period is not very long because of excessive heat produced by
the stand by work.
When power is off for at least 30 minutes, and caps gets cold... Then when
power is back on the +5Vsb will become up to +40Vsb (except the presense of
7805).

I think that case we can exclude, because my supplier was broken by
several turning on and off in very shory period of time.

Even expensive brand models suffer from this issue.

to stabilize it after the +5Vsb SMPS

Sam Goldwasser

Cher writes:

Not to mention the fact that switching PS are black magic.
If you don't put the EXACT replacement part in it, no telling what
will happen.

Not really, at least for most of the parts.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Digi Man

If no +5Vsb probably causes:
a) open resistor in the NPN of the +5VSB base (just replace it). Very offen
is a 2Watt resistor in the range of 100 to 330Kohm.
b) open resistor on the NPN emitter (this shows that an over current
condition occured). This resistor acts like a fuse. Possible values 2,2 to
4,7Ohm 2Watt.

The cap with hight esr is the one in the primary coil of the transformer of
the +5vsb (very offen 22uF/50V/105 degrees).

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Digi Man" wrote in message
I repair them (except the complettely fried ones).
Most ATX suffer in the +5Vsb power generation.
The +5Vsb is a complete small SMPS. Very offen it brokes (high ESR cap)

and
it you have not a 7805 inside the PSU, you'll get probably a fried
motherboard,keyboard and some times PCI cards!.

The working period is not very long because of excessive heat produced

by
the stand by work.
When power is off for at least 30 minutes, and caps gets cold... Then

when
power is back on the +5Vsb will become up to +40Vsb (except the presense

of
7805).

Even expensive brand models suffer from this issue.

Agreed. The last mini-ATX PSU I repaired was throwing out 7.5V on the 5V

SB
line. It appeared to work but destroyed the keyboard that was connected at
the time. It could have been so much worse!
It was, as you say, a bad electrolytic in the SB circuit. The next PSU job

have is a 350W ATX PSU with no 5V SB at all, when I can be bothered to

look
at it ;-)

Dave

Digi Man

The power on-off should harm it.
If the UPS is not big enough, it could make AC pulses with more then 220V
average.
Or it could, just before it went off, produce a nearly DC voltage at output.

Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Aldi Power Craft Router John UK diy 5 January 10th 04 01:52 PM
Generators and Back-up power Ryan Metalworking 33 January 10th 04 01:38 AM
Storage of power tools Peter Bull UK diy 18 January 6th 04 09:48 PM