Arthur Jernberg

Default Zenith Rear Projection TV/Model PV4655LK9

Order a complete service manual from L/G-Zenith and repair it to your
satisfaction. It is highly probable the set requires replacement circuit
module(s) to function properly. If you indeed paid the service tech to
diagnose the set then he should have left with you a report as to what items
are needed for comprehensive repair, however if the service was preformed
"FREE" then you have what you compensated for.
"Sarah" wrote in message
I have a Zenith rear projection tv. When I turn it on, it shows a recent
power outage/reset clock message, that fades to almost complete blackness
after about a minute. A repairman spent not more than 5 minutes in it and
produced a perfect picture, but then he said to keep the perfect picture
would cost $500. I did not think 2 minutes worth of work with no parts

was
worth $500, so he put the tv back to its non-working condition. Does

anyone
know what he might have done? Or any course of action I could take? I have

degree in Electronic Engineering and I have experience working with high
voltage, so I am capable of fixing it, I am not experienced with TVs much
and I was hoping someone could save me a lot of troubleshooting with a
scope...
I would be greatly indebted to anyone that can help.... Thanks so much
-Lance Stubblefield

Arthur Jernberg

Agreed John. However I've been doing this for over 35 years. I find that
giving the customer the information, not the expertise, is not considered a
loss. Having the customer put enough trust in you to actually let you into
their residence so you can give them and estimate and diagnose the fault
tends to expect recripical benefits. IMHO A/J
Subject: Zenith Rear Projection TV/Model PV4655LK9
From: "Arthur Jernberg"

. If you indeed paid the service tech to
diagnose the set then he should have left with you a report as to what

items
are needed for comprehensive repair, however if the service was preformed
"FREE" then you have what you compensated for.

An "estimate charge" should not cover the actual part failure, the part

number,
and instructions on how to replace it. Any tech who does so won't be in
business long.

John Del
Wolcott, CT

"Nothing is so opportune for tyrants as a people tired of its liberty."
Alan Keyes

(remove S for email reply)

Leonard Caillouet

I disagree. I give the customer the parts and location numbers from my
evaluation of their unit and have been in this business for over 20 years
and doing well. It is rare that someone will take an estimate and fix the
unit themselves or take it to another shop. If it happens occassionally,
I'll take that chance in exchange for the trust that my customers have in me
and the way they view me as a professional compared to the competition.

Leonard Caillouet

bigmike

"Michael Floyd" wrote in message
Everyone seems to be missing the point that in the original post, it
was stated the repair tech restored "a perfect picture" within 5
minutes. Then, when the customer thought $500.00 was too much, the
tech returned the set to it previous state.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but it seems to me if the
tech could restore the picture to "perfect" or "failed" at will, then
maybe something fishy is going on with the tech's prices.

I don't recall the original post saying anything about breaking the
cost down into separate labour and parts prices, but I can only
presume the part must be the majority of the cost. $500.00 is a little
steep for a 5 minute or 1 hour service call.

Furthermore, I'd be questioning why a presumably very expensive part
is required if the tech could restore the picture and then return the
set to its failed condition at will without a part. What's up with
that?

I'll freely admit that it's been a while since I've repaired
televisions, but I can't imagine what might be going on here.

Regards,

Michael Floyd
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:21:44 -0400, "Arthur Jernberg"
wrote:

I haven't been in on this conversation, but I absolutely agree. What did
that tech do to make the set work fine without replacing anything? And
whatever it was is going to cost 500 dollars? While it's true we don't know
what it is he did, if I was the customer, it would send up a red flag to me.
I always tell my customers exactly what the problem is, to help win and keep
their trust. This person needs to find a shop that will tell here exactly
what the problem is.