Mark

Default OT? CDR Burning Big-Time Problems

This may be OT for this NG, so I'm begging the indulgence of
knowledgeable people.

I'm at my wits' end. I've been struggling with this for
about 6 weeks now, and am in desperate need of advice.

I'm running Win98SE, using a compatible Mitsumi drive, and
the following has occurred with All of the following, All in
the same way; ECDC 4.0, ECDC 5 Platinum (without and with
current Roxio upgrades), Nero (current 5.X download
version), and Stomp RecordNow Max (current download
version).

In every case, I can record audio CDs without any
difficulty.

Recently, after the purchase of a digital camera, I've
started to try to record photo (data) CDs. In every
attempt, the process appears to go normally through all the
burn stages. Once complete, if I let the software verify,
it fails. If I look at what's on the disc with Windows
Explorer, it will show "Track01.cda" at 44 bytes, and that's
all. A visual of the disc, however, clearly shows that an
appropriate amount of space has been burned.

I've tried every option I can find that seems reasonable
while recording, including multisession, closing the CD,
using the wizard, doing it manually, various files and
folders (including many that were just data, not JPGs), and
so on.

As I've researched this, I've learned that Roxio/Adaptec
doesn't play well with others, so I uninstalled these and
erased every entry in the registry and ini folders that I
could find that appeared related.

No matter what I try, the results are always the same.
We're approaching the definition of insanity here.

I've come to the conclusion that the issue isn't the burning
software, but something else, possibly in Windows itself,
but I have no idea what it may be.

I'm looking for any pointers that may help.

Thanks,

--
Mark

Jerry Greenberg

Try burning the CD's at a slower speed, in case there is some buffer
over-run. It is also possible that the drive laser is starting to
fail It may be able to read the disks but not burn them. I have seen
this a number of times.

If your machine is a very old type, it is possible that the processor
is having difficulty with large sized file processing. This gets back
to the buffer over-run problem again.

Your best bet is to try another drive.

Jerry Greenberg
http://www.zoom-one.com

--

(Andre) wrote in message . com...
Mark wrote in message uth.net...
[...]

Does it burn an image OK with Norton Ghost ? (DOS)

If it fails, the drive is faulty . This is the test I use .

It sounds like something in the drive (possibly the write laser) may
be bad . This would explain it reading OK .

Try the drive in a known good machine - see what it does .

-A

Thanks,

Mark D. Zacharias

The *.cda indicates a music cd. Make sure you're really burning it as a data
cd, otherwise my guess is you'll have to re-install all the burning
software.

Mark Z.

If I look at what's on the disc with Windows
Explorer, it will show "Track01.cda" at 44 bytes, and that's
all.

"Andre" wrote in message
om...
Mark wrote in message

uth.net...
[...]

bigmike

Do you have programs running in the background of Windows? Virus scanners,
schedulers, or anything else? Shut them all down before trying to burn large
files. Even burners with buffer protection can screw up with these ruinning.
Have you checked to make sure you don't have any spyware running you don't
know about. Audio files are less likely to screw up since they burn in
smaller chunks, but larger files can bite the big one if the system is
interupted by a background program. Just a thought...

"Mark" wrote in message
th.net...
In article
,
says...
Try burning the CD's at a slower speed, in case there is some buffer
over-run.

I think I did try that once, but I will again just to be
certain.

It is also possible that the drive laser is starting to
fail It may be able to read the disks but not burn them. I have seen
this a number of times.

That seems unlikely, since it burns audio CDs with no
problems (as mentioned).

If your machine is a very old type, it is possible that the processor
is having difficulty with large sized file processing. This gets back
to the buffer over-run problem again.

It's a fairly new machine, running an AMD Athlon.

Your best bet is to try another drive.

Ouch!

Thanks for the help.
Jerry Greenberg
http://www.zoom-one.com

--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Your perception may be different.

Sunny

Mark wrote:
[...]

Look at an audio disk in Windows Explorer - it will show TrackNN.cda, 44
bytes for each audio track.

Your software has burned your data as audio, most likely because that's
what you asked it to do.

Sorry to be blunt, but RTFM.

[...]

Sunny

Mark wrote:
In article ,
says...

Mark wrote:

[...]

I appreciate the suggestion, but as I thought I'd made
clear, I had Not asked it to burn audio, but rather either
photo or data.

Nonetheless, the fact the resulting disc has a single 44 byte *.cda file
on it is incontrovertible evidence the disc was burned in CDDA audio
format. You could confirm this for yourself by playing the disc in a
standard audio CD player, but keep the volume *way* down as the noise
will be most unpleasant and could damage your speakers. The audio
player's display will show the disc has one track, and the track time
will be approximately 7 seconds times the number of megabytes you burned.

Either you are inadvertantly misconfiguring the software, the software
is burning audio regardless of your instructions, or the drive is
burning audio regardless of the software's instructions. I've never seen
any instances of the latter two possibilities, so am unable to offer
further suggestions.

drive pin on R8 collets Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 50 July 9th 04 06:41 AM
OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 08:38 PM
OT - Gunner Quote Cliff Huprich Metalworking 183 January 27th 04 10:20 AM