DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   TEAC PCD124 CD player jumps (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/37129-teac-pcd124-cd-player-jumps.html)

John Smith July 17th 03 11:16 AM

TEAC PCD124 CD player jumps

Hi,

My TEAC (model PCD124) radio/cassette/CD player won't play all recent (2
years) and some older (c.a. 10 years) store purchased CDs without skipping
short sections of tracks. It plays well for approximately 5 seconds then
skips a few seconds of track (i.e. silence) then continues to play, and so
on. It plays some older CDs fine (but a lot of my CDs are old so I guess
that this maybe coincidence). Not a mechanical shocking/vibration problem
and I have tried to clean laser lense.

Time to sound uninformed. Is there a solution such as an internal
adjustement on positioning of the laser (I assume stepper motor driven) that
can be made? Could the lense shape or filter material/colour be a factor?
Could the spin axis be off centred (i.e. should I machine another CD
holding/centering insert)?

Kind regards

Dean Biddle.

Ray L. Volts July 17th 03 01:40 PM

TEAC PCD124 CD player jumps

"John Smith" wrote in message
u...
Time to sound uninformed. Is there a solution such as an internal
adjustement on positioning of the laser (I assume stepper motor driven)

that
can be made? Could the lense shape or filter material/colour be a factor?
Could the spin axis be off centred (i.e. should I machine another CD
holding/centering insert)?

The last thing you want to do is fiddle with alignment. You'd never get it
adjusted back. The plastic centering wheel isn't a part that commonly
fails.

Dirty lenses, OTOH, cause all sorts of weird probs.
Clean the lens (gently!) with a swab (preferably lintless foam) and rubbing
alcohol (91% is good). Cleaner discs are worthless for all but the thinnest
films of dust.