Sofie

Default problems getting cable channels on a sony tv

hoss / Adam::
If you can provide a model number I think you might get some more specific
advice..... obviously not all Sony 13" televisions were designed and built
the same.
Cable television channels over the years have expanded several times as
allowed by FCC rules..... so in the earlier years the television
manufacturers did not build capability into a television that was not
needed.... or was not even an issue.
Depending on the features and design of your television and how old it is,
up to cable channel 47 just may be all it can receive..... slightly older
televisions may have only gone up to cable channel 36, and older than that
maybe cable channel 22.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"hoss" wrote in message
I have a sony trintiron 13'' TV. unfortunately I don't know the year. for
some reason I can't get any channel above 47 on it while about 100

channels
are available when another TV is connected to the same cable. in addition
the problem still remaines when the problematic sony is connected to
anyother cable. Of course I've tried reprogramming the TV but that doesn't
work. it doesn't even receive the higher channels when they are

specifically
typed into the remote, just static.

I wonder if anyone has any advice on what the problem may be and how to

fix
it aside from getting a new TV.

Thank you very much,
Adam

Shell

You can try Add/Del channel manually.
1. find a remote control (universal is fine) should has ENTER button
2. find a dial swith on front panel maybe cutoff cable signal
3. find buttons (Add/Del) to add or remove channels.

Good luck!
Shell

hoss

this is good advice. thank you.

"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

"hoss" wrote in message
I have a sony trintiron 13'' TV. unfortunately I don't know the year.

for
some reason I can't get any channel above 47 on it while about 100

channels
are available when another TV is connected to the same cable. in

addition
the problem still remaines when the problematic sony is connected to
anyother cable. Of course I've tried reprogramming the TV but that

doesn't
work. it doesn't even receive the higher channels when they are

specifically
typed into the remote, just static.

I wonder if anyone has any advice on what the problem may be and how to

fix
it aside from getting a new TV.

Thank you very much,
Adam

That's probably as high as that set was designed to go. I do not know the
age of the set, but the older the set, the less cable channels they were
designed to receive. You can either use a cable box, or a cheaper route is
to use the tuner in any half way modern VCR to get the higher channels.

Then
just leave your tv on whatever channel the VCR is set to output at, and
change channels with the VCR tuner.

Sofie

boss / Adam:
Yes.... it should be receiving all the cable channels.....
try, with the remote to punch in .... say... channel 49, 52, etc... or some
upper channel ..... BE CERTAIN to press the ENTER button after you punch in
the channel number. If you can receive the channel that you have just
manually enter then it is just a simple matter of ADDING the channels to the
channel memory.... should be a (+) or (-) button on the remote or on the
television or an on screen menu that lets you add or delete channels. Let
us know what you find out.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"hoss" wrote in message
The model number of my sony is KV-13M10. it was manufactured in aug 1995.
what dose this tell you about my TV? Should it be receiving above 47
channels?

"hoss" wrote in message
I have a sony trintiron 13'' TV. unfortunately I don't know the year.

for
some reason I can't get any channel above 47 on it while about 100

channels
are available when another TV is connected to the same cable. in

addition
the problem still remaines when the problematic sony is connected to
anyother cable. Of course I've tried reprogramming the TV but that

doesn't
work. it doesn't even receive the higher channels when they are

specifically
typed into the remote, just static.

I wonder if anyone has any advice on what the problem may be and how

fix
it aside from getting a new TV.

Thank you very much,
Adam

rw

Shell wrote:
You can try Add/Del channel manually.
1. find a remote control (universal is fine) should has ENTER button
2. find a dial swith on front panel maybe cutoff cable signal
3. find buttons (Add/Del) to add or remove channels.

Good luck!
Shell

dont forget the setup function.
you may have to set the TV to CATV, not antenna.
rw..

Jerry Greenberg

You did not supply the model number.

Depending on the era of the set, it may be at the maximum channel
range of its design. Some of the older sets only went to channel 22,
and later to 36, 44, 86, and now most to 125 for cable.

If you want the extended channels and your set cannot receive them,
you can use a newer model of VCR as a tuner, or get a cable TV
converter.

If your set is a model of set that is new enough to allow the higher
channels, check to see that the user setup for the tuner is in the
proper mode, and the channels are programed to be allowed to scan that
high. If this is okay, and the specs of the set comply, it is
possible that there is a failure in the tuner. At this point you will
have to have the set serviced.

Jerry Greenberg
http://www.zoom-one.com

--

"hoss" wrote in message ...
I have a sony trintiron 13'' TV. unfortunately I don't know the year. for
some reason I can't get any channel above 47 on it while about 100 channels
are available when another TV is connected to the same cable. in addition
the problem still remaines when the problematic sony is connected to
anyother cable. Of course I've tried reprogramming the TV but that doesn't
work. it doesn't even receive the higher channels when they are specifically
typed into the remote, just static.

I wonder if anyone has any advice on what the problem may be and how to fix
it aside from getting a new TV.

Thank you very much,
Adam

hoss

How much does something like that take to fix?

"David" wrote in message
Tuner is bad in the tv set. The UHF section of the tuner is not working

at
all. High band cable channels are usually tuned by the UHF section in the
tuner starting somewhere around channel 50 give or take.
hoss wrote in message
thank you again for your help. typing in higher channels (those offered

my
provider), followed by pressing "ENTER," was of course on of the first
things I tried. that followed by reprogramming which hasn't changed
anything.

again, other TVs connected to my cable do receive all the channels

provided
by our cable company (2-119). And the problem remains for my TV when I

plug
it into other cables around the building, it doesn't receive above 47.

a sure solution is of course what Bigmike suggested by getting a vcr to
change the channels. but i am now mostly interested in what's wrong with

my
TV and would like to fix it.

"hoss" wrote in message
[...]

Ray

The tuner for this model TV has been subbed by Sony several times. The
current P/N for replacement is 8-598-047-50 and lists for $116.25. Add
labor to part cost and the VCR method may be the preferred way to solve
problem

"hoss" wrote in message
[...]

bigmike

"hoss" wrote in message
this is good advice. thank you.

Your welcome. Even if the tuner can tune in the higher channels, but is
defective, the VCR route is a cheaper alternative most of the time. Good
luck!

"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

"hoss" wrote in message
[...]

madcat

"bigmike" wrote in message om...
"hoss" wrote in message
[...]

thats all it gets

Cable gland for armoured cable Rafal UK diy 3 July 12th 04 09:48 PM
Correction factors in running cable [email protected] UK diy 6 May 18th 04 08:08 PM
Cable - pricing up NorwichLad UK diy 3 July 25th 03 01:59 PM
Desk Cable Channels Phil Jones UK diy 7 July 6th 03 10:52 PM