DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Turn Your Power Supply into an Ohmmeter - It's Free! (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/37100-turn-your-power-supply-into-ohmmeter-its-free.html)

Bob Masta July 22nd 03 12:21 PM

Another twist in the topic (Was Turn Your Power Supply into an Ohmmeter - It's Free!

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:59:00 -0700, "Bullwinkle Jones"
wrote:

Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun' wrote:
In article ,
mentioned...
"Costas Vlachos" wrote in message
Do people use the "jig-a" way? Never heard of it.

No? Jigawatts? ;-)

Jigahurts was the only way I heard Gigahertz pronounced back in the
'60s when I woekrd for a radio eng'g lab. That's not long after the
time when the prefizxes were adopted. Before that, it used to be
micromicrofarads instead of picofarads.

Somehow betwen then and now it got perverted to today's pronunciation.

The only place I ever heard it pronounced jiga was in the Back To The Future
movies!

I first heard the jiga pronounciation from a former Tektronix
scope front-end designer. (Hi, Frank!) My impression was
that this was standard pronounciation there.

Bob Masta
tech(AT)daqarta(DOT)com

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
Shareware from Interstellar Research
www.daqarta.com

buck rojerz July 22nd 03 01:18 PM

Turn Your Power Supply into an Ohmmeter - It's Free!

After following this 'wild' thread, it seems as though the main argument
revolves around this "Ohmic" and "non-ohmic" thing. Can any one of you
tell this old technician, just what "non-ohmic" is?

Without knowing what your explination is, one might assume non-ohmic as
being a material with no resistance. If that is the case, the only non-
ohmic substance would be super-conductors, but somehow it sounds like
that's not what you are meaning.

So, please explain what "non-ohmic" means to you. For the life of me I
can't figure out what you mean. In thirty years, I have never heard the
term.

buck

Franc Zabkar July 22nd 03 11:43 PM

Another twist in the topic (Was Turn Your Power Supply into an Ohmmeter - It's Free!

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:54:29 GMT, (Bob Masta) put
finger to keyboard and composed:

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 08:50:43 +1000, Franc Zabkar
wrote:

I would think the most sensible pronunciation would be "giga" as this
prefix is derived from the Greek word, "gigas", meaning "giant".

How do the Greeks pronounce "gigas"? The "jig-a" pronounciation
for giga seems to be in more-or-less in keeping with "gigantic".

Even more consistent would be "j-eye-ga". ;-)

- Franc Zabkar

Clifton T. Sharp Jr. July 23rd 03 06:26 AM

Another twist in the topic (Was Turn Your Power Supply into an Ohmmeter - It's Free!

Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun' wrote:
Generally speaking, the first listing in the dictionary is the
preferred pronunciation.

Careful about that. I ran into one dictionary whose front section gave
an extremely convoluted set of rules for deciding which of multiple
pronunciations was the preferred one.

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.